Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mounting Hardware for lifters on ski locker

Irish

Crew,

I'm looking to modify my rear ski locker on my 07 iRide. The darn thing never stays up. I was thinking of getting a duplicate set of hardware and a lifter, and match up the side with no lifter. I hope that will work, but does anybody know what the part #'s are? The only thing I could find was SPD, who is the manufacturer. Can anyone help? Or does anyone have an alternate plan? Thanks.

Matt

Crew,

I'm looking to modify my rear ski locker on my 07 iRide. The darn thing never stays up. I was thinking of getting a duplicate set of hardware and a lifter, and match up the side with no lifter. I hope that will work, but does anybody know what the part #'s are? The only thing I could find was SPD, who is the manufacturer. Can anyone help? Or does anyone have an alternate plan? Thanks.

Matt

Have you tried just replacing the current lifter with a new one? Assuming this is a gas spring like what holds up your engine cover and spotters seat access, right?

Go to your local truck accessory shop with your current gas prop or at least a ball to ball measurement open and closed. Truck topper props are more robust (thicker rods) and available in varying weight ratings. They can be had for 15-20 dollars each and are much less likely to bend (not that yours are bent, but many do).

I gave some to a crew member and the only issue was they were slightly too long, causing the door to open too far. He could move the door side bracket a bit to compensate if he wanted, but is using it as is for now.

Edit: The ones I gave him I happened to have in stock. I may have been able to get exact length, but don't remember checking.

Edited by jk13

Yes, its just a gas shock, but I had it replaced before my warranty expired. It has never worked quite right. I am quite certain that it is a design flaw. Thanks!

Do you think this is something that an advance auto, or autozone would have? That sounds like a good idea, I'll try to check that out. Do you have a shop? You mentioned helping another crew member out? Thanks.

Yes, their available at most any descent auto parts store. You have to get the right length when open & closed. Plus there is a load rating that their good for. Too high a rating & you won't be able to close the hatch. Too low & it won't hold it up. You can usually look at the existing shock & find all those details, then cross reference with other brands as needed.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Crew,

Matt

check Bakesonline.com I know they carry some of that hardware.