Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for a new boat!!! Need some suggestions...

Umatilla Matt

Hey Crew,

I've decided to sell my 97 Sunsetter and upgrade to something a little newer. I figure I can get about $16,000 for my Sunsetter and I'm gonna put that towards my new boat. I don't wanna spend any more than $30,000 total, so something no more than about 27-28K would be ideal. I mainly wakeboard and wakesurf. Some things that I definitely want in my new boat are: built in ballast, speed control, and a v-drive. I would like to get another Malibu, but I'm not opposed to owning a Nautique or another reliable brand. I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas as far as what I can get for that price, and also some makes and models to look for and those to avoid.

Thanks! :rockon:

I would think you could find some 05 or 06 vRides close to that price range. I don't think you'll find any of the newer hulls in a v-drive in that price range (but there's a reason malibu used the sv23 for so long). Stay with a bu, similar build quality as cc or mc for less $.

I bought my 2003 VLX with all of the desired extras you mentioned within your price range. I bought in the spring so prices were higher than they are now. If you are ready to buy now you have the upper hand in the transaction as we are in the later half of the season. You should be able to easily find an 2003 - 2005 Vride or VLX around the 30k mark. Its funny because I came from a 2000 Sunsetter similar to what you have and love my VLX so much more. I was also considering a 2002 - 2003 SANTE but the fit and finish didnt appeal to me as much as malibu, plus they seemed over priced at the time. I upgraded for the exact same reasons you are -- ballast, speed control, v drive. Good luck finding one.

Edited by bradfr

if you had a paper bag full of $20s you'd get my boat at close to the top of your budget (06 vride, 350 hours, LOUD stereo, heater, evo cover, recently overhauled trailer).

P1060198.JPG

P1060199.JPG

Edited by shawndoggy

I personally am a huge fan of the Supra Boats & think if you found an SSV launch you would be just as happy with that as a Malibu.

To each their own but I thought the seats were uncomfortable.

I bought my 2003 VLX with all of the desired extras you mentioned within your price range. I bought in the spring so prices were higher than they are now. If you are ready to buy now you have the upper hand in the transaction as we are in the later half of the season. You should be able to easily find an 2003 - 2005 Vride or VLX around the 30k mark. Its funny because I came from a 2000 Sunsetter similar to what you have and love my VLX so much more. I was also considering a 2002 - 2003 SANTE but the fit and finish didnt appeal to me as much as malibu, plus they seemed over priced at the time. I upgraded for the exact same reasons you are -- ballast, speed control, v drive. Good luck finding one.

Yeah, I added speed control to my Sunsetter and its so much nicer! Now if I could get a v-drive with built in ballast life would be good. I'm tired of having no room to stand up and walking on fat sacs, not to mention filling and emptying the damn things. Its such a PITA! :Frustrated:

if you had a paper bag full of $20s you'd get my boat at close to the top of your budget (06 vride, 350 hours, LOUD stereo, heater, evo cover, recently overhauled trailer).

Does that mean its for sale? How big of a paper bag are you talking about? Send me a PM if you want.

Matt,

What are the spec's on your Setter? I may be interested...

PM me if you want

Ok, I'll send you a PM!

Yeah, I added speed control to my Sunsetter and its so much nicer! Now if I could get a v-drive with built in ballast life would be good. I'm tired of having no room to stand up and walking on fat sacs, not to mention filling and emptying the damn things. Its such a PITA! :Frustrated:

Does that mean its for sale? How big of a paper bag are you talking about? Send me a PM if you want.

Ok, I'll send you a PM!

Doesn't really matter how big the bag is as long as it'll hold the right number of $20s. :whistle: PM Sent.

I personally am a huge fan of the Supra Boats & think if you found an SSV launch you would be just as happy with that as a Malibu.

IMHO, the Supras don't even compare. To me they seem clunky and the styling is outdated. Not to mention the size of everything inside. Looks like they got IKEA in on the interior design. Cheap and teeny. And having to duck for the bimini? No thanks.

To each their own but I thought the seats were uncomfortable.

IMHO, the Supras don't even compare. To me they seem clunky and the styling is outdated. Not to mention the size of everything inside. Looks like they got IKEA in on the interior design. Cheap and teeny. And having to duck for the bimini? No thanks.

He's looking for a reliable boat to wakeboard and wakesurf behind. I don't think your guys opinions about interior & Bimini effects the reliability or wake the boat produces.

I surf and board behind a neighbors regularly, and it is on par with the Wakesetter, and the Air Nautique that my friends own.

Just to make to make the crew all feel better though. :notworthy: All Hail Malibu, All Hail Malibu :notworthy:

(and yes I realize this is an opinion thread, but I am just bring up the fact he was looking for recommendations for a specific need)

I came from an '08 Supra 22SSV, they are nice boats, the wakes are really hard to dial in, especially at lower speeds... port side always washses out. The ballast fill/drain system on '08 and older models are poorly designed (with sprinkler valves), in '09 they went to JABSCO pumps... much better system.

Other than this it was a great boat, put 235 hours on it, pretty trouble free.

just because I love boat shopping, figured I'd do a quick search for 'bu's in florida.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005-Malibu-Wakesetter-Vlx-98661410

They are asking little above you're price range, but never seen a dealer unable to come down 10% to the right buyer.

Its over my price range AND it doesn't come with a trailer, which is a necessity for me. Thanks for looking around though!

He's looking for a reliable boat to wakeboard and wakesurf behind. I don't think your guys opinions about interior & Bimini effects the reliability or wake the boat produces.

I surf and board behind a neighbors regularly, and it is on par with the Wakesetter, and the Air Nautique that my friends own.

Just to make to make the crew all feel better though. :notworthy: All Hail Malibu, All Hail Malibu :notworthy:

(and yes I realize this is an opinion thread, but I am just bring up the fact he was looking for recommendations for a specific need)

I'm not opposed to any brand of boat as long as its well built and reliable, and does what I need it to do. Anything newer has got to be better than my old boat, right?

If only it was closer to me. I'm in Florida and a 2 day drive doesn't sound fun.

Having gone through this 6 months ago, let me lend some info on price ranges I saw after lots of research. I ended up getting my mint condition 2004 Wakesetter VLX mint condition, original owner, with 530 hours for 25k. Owners first listing on ebay, and everyone thought it was a scam. It was for sale on his local craigslist for 32k. 25k was really my prefered max, but i was going up to 30k.

Anyway, here is what I saw as far as price ranges, and my main choices. The natiques were overpriced, Supra's were out of my price range.

2005 and Older Moomba Mobius LSV 22-30k.

2006+ Moomba Mobius LSV 27k to 35k.

00-04 Mastercraft 205v, X2, Xstar- 20k to 30k depending on shape.

05-07 Malibu Vrides 25k to 35k depending on features, owners, shape, etc

05+ VLX Wakesetter- 30k on the low end was a steal, most 35K +

00-04 VLX Wakesetter- 20k to 35k depending on a lot of things.

In the end I wanted either a newer moomba, a vride, or xstar. The malibu showed up and was a great deal. If i were looking again, Id find a nice Vride, or Wakesettter Vlx. Much nicer than any other boat in the price range. Moombas- People figured out they are decent boats, so the used prices have gone up!

Having gone through this 6 months ago, let me lend some info on price ranges I saw after lots of research. I ended up getting my mint condition 2004 Wakesetter VLX mint condition, original owner, with 530 hours for 25k. Owners first listing on ebay, and everyone thought it was a scam. It was for sale on his local craigslist for 32k. 25k was really my prefered max, but i was going up to 30k.

Anyway, here is what I saw as far as price ranges, and my main choices. The natiques were overpriced, Supra's were out of my price range.

2005 and Older Moomba Mobius LSV 22-30k.

2006+ Moomba Mobius LSV 27k to 35k.

00-04 Mastercraft 205v, X2, Xstar- 20k to 30k depending on shape.

05-07 Malibu Vrides 25k to 35k depending on features, owners, shape, etc

05+ VLX Wakesetter- 30k on the low end was a steal, most 35K +

00-04 VLX Wakesetter- 20k to 35k depending on a lot of things.

In the end I wanted either a newer moomba, a vride, or xstar. The malibu showed up and was a great deal. If i were looking again, Id find a nice Vride, or Wakesettter Vlx. Much nicer than any other boat in the price range. Moombas- People figured out they are decent boats, so the used prices have gone up!

This is what I've been trying to find out. Which boats should I be looking at and which ones should I be avoiding? What is going to be the best bang for my buck in my price range? Are there certain features or model years that would be more desirable than others? I've seen some nice looking Moombas for sale, but I've always heard that they are sub-par. Maybe that is just a myth. I'd love to find a Malibu with the features I want in the mid-twenties price range. Even if its an 01, 02, 03, or 04, I would still be interested as long as it is in very good condition.

This is what I've been trying to find out. Which boats should I be looking at and which ones should I be avoiding? What is going to be the best bang for my buck in my price range? Are there certain features or model years that would be more desirable than others? I've seen some nice looking Moombas for sale, but I've always heard that they are sub-par. Maybe that is just a myth. I'd love to find a Malibu with the features I want in the mid-twenties price range. Even if its an 01, 02, 03, or 04, I would still be interested as long as it is in very good condition.

From the common bigger name manufactuers, there isn't a boat you should "avoid". They all basically have the same engine, transmission, v-drive, ballast system, electronics, perfect pass, etc. It really comes down to which one you can find the best deal on. Newer Moombas post skier's pier being sub par is an internet myth from people including some on this site, who think that because a boat is 30k less than theirs new, it's sup par. Sure the vinyl isn't as plush, there aren't trim features everywhere, chrome in places, the seats are more square, the dash is a more basic design, but the boat is just as reliable, puts out a comparable wake, drivers about the same, etc.

In that price range, my top favorite choices for options/price/features were

1. 04 Wakesetter Vlx- Has all the "nice" features, like frameless window, ss rub rail, newer dash (compared to 02-03), wakesetter graphics on the inside. Nice ones are over 30k.

2. 05-06 Vrides- Same as above minus all the "trim" and garnish. Basically it's the same boat. Hard to find one near 25k. Newer design dash is nice, and throttle by wire on 06, plus floating/power wedge are nice new items.

3. 06+ Mobius LSV- Higher freeboard, has all the features, PP, ballast, wakeplate, hard to find near 25k.

4. 01-03 Wakesetter- Same hull as above, less available and standard features, some older design aspects, like dash.

Some people are big fans of 205v, Xstar gen 1. I like them a lot as well, but I think the price is artifically high to due to the mastercraft name, the hull desgn looks old (mind 90s 205v), but still puts out an amazing wake. Kind of small on the inside, and it's hard to find one around 25k that isn't in rougher shape, as a lot were used as wakeschool boats. Boat overall feels dated to me.

Super Air Natique (Sans) 210 is a popular one as well. Dated to me inside and out, and I hate steep wake, which is ITs trademark.

Edited by Indyxc

If only it was closer to me. I'm in Florida and a 2 day drive doesn't sound fun.

I drove from Michigan to Florida and back in 3 days to pick up the right for me boat. It was well worth it, except if you asked me on the way back.

From the common bigger name manufactuers, there isn't a boat you should "avoid". They all basically have the same engine, transmission, v-drive, ballast system, electronics, perfect pass, etc. It really comes down to which one you can find the best deal on. Newer Moombas post skier's pier being sub par is an internet myth from people including some on this site, who think that because a boat is 30k less than theirs new, it's sup par. Sure the vinyl isn't as plush, there aren't trim features everywhere, chrome in places, the seats are more square, the dash is a more basic design, but the boat is just as reliable, puts out a comparable wake, drivers about the same, etc.

In that price range, my top favorite choices for options/price/features were

1. 04 Wakesetter Vlx- Has all the "nice" features, like frameless window, ss rub rail, newer dash (compared to 02-03), wakesetter graphics on the inside. Nice ones are over 30k.

2. 05-06 Vrides- Same as above minus all the "trim" and garnish. Basically it's the same boat. Hard to find one near 25k. Newer design dash is nice, and throttle by wire on 06, plus floating/power wedge are nice new items.

3. 06+ Mobius LSV- Higher freeboard, has all the features, PP, ballast, wakeplate, hard to find near 25k.

4. 01-03 Wakesetter- Same hull as above, less available and standard features, some older design aspects, like dash.

Some people are big fans of 205v, Xstar gen 1. I like them a lot as well, but I think the price is artifically high to due to the mastercraft name, the hull desgn looks old (mind 90s 205v), but still puts out an amazing wake. Kind of small on the inside, and it's hard to find one around 25k that isn't in rougher shape, as a lot were used as wakeschool boats. Boat overall feels dated to me.

Super Air Natique (Sans) 210 is a popular one as well. Dated to me inside and out, and I hate steep wake, which is ITs trademark.

Thanks! This helps alot! I also hate the steep wake on the Nautiques. My friend used to have one and it always took a while to get used to riding behind. I'd like to find a Vride (closer than Nevada!) or maybe a nice Mobius. I don't need all the "plush" features of the Wakesetter, just something reliable that's gonna give me a good wake. I just came back from a trip to Northern Georgia and on the lake up there everyone had Moombas. On my lake here at home everyone looks down their noses at them.

I do have a question about the newer boats though! Do the newer boats still have a problem with vapor lock or no? I don't want to go through that again with my new boat.

Thanks! This helps alot! I also hate the steep wake on the Nautiques. My friend used to have one and it always took a while to get used to riding behind. I'd like to find a Vride (closer than Nevada!) or maybe a nice Mobius. I don't need all the "plush" features of the Wakesetter, just something reliable that's gonna give me a good wake. I just came back from a trip to Northern Georgia and on the lake up there everyone had Moombas. On my lake here at home everyone looks down their noses at them.

I do have a question about the newer boats though! Do the newer boats still have a problem with vapor lock or no? I don't want to go through that again with my new boat.

Vapor lock seems to be hit or miss, a couple people here are getting it on their 05-09 malibu's. I don't think the problem is completely solved. Search around, I know there are a couple threads about it. It's never happened to me, knock on wood. :)

Good luck!