Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf start from swim platform

bradfr

I have just started wakesurfing this summer and notice in many videos I watch some people are starting with the board partially on the swim platform. Are there any special techniques for attempting this?

I have just started wakesurfing this summer and notice in many videos I watch some people are starting with the board partially on the swim platform. Are there any special techniques for attempting this?

It's all about balance and practice, done it many times, Fell few times at first, but can nail it every time now!! I usually give the wake time to develop then kinda scoot back and slowly drop into the water.. obviously you have the board nose on the swim platform and the other half out the back. I also ride up to the boat and step on to the platform, Just trying to make it fun...LOL

One other thing.....make sure make sure make sure that your boat driver doesn't anticipate the fall & get off of the gas too soon. If he/she stays on the gas until you're down, there's a much lower chance of hitting the platform, but if they get off of the throttle too soon you'll almost certainly hit the platform, usually with your face. It's not pretty when that happens.

Back foot = Brakes

Front foot = Gas

Get in position standing without holding the boat. Slam on the brakes until you're off the platform then slam on the gas. If you forget to slam on the gas you wont catch the wave.

If "jonny Law" see's you doing this - Isn't it considered Illegal?

Yea, I read where some laws are being clarified so that wake surfing isn't confused with teak surfing (which is illegal). One of the stipulations is that the surfer be a certain distance away from the boat. Not sure how far.... 10'? 15'?

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I certainly wouldn't do it with my fragile epoxy Slasher Pro.

No kidding. I was expecting a lot more durability from a popout. My "real", hand-glassed surfboards are less fragile than that thing. Not saying that it's weak compared to other brands but just surprising how careful you have to be.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I wish it was epoxy it would be more durable. All fiberglassed foam boards are fragile regardless of brand.

Yea, I read where some laws are being clarified so that wake surfing isn't confused with teak surfing (which is illegal). One of the stipulations is that the surfer be a certain distance away from the boat. Not sure how far.... 10'? 15'?

Some states is 20'. Ronix makes their surf ropes 20' now.

As far as platform starts go its a good way to crack your board if its fiberglass, and scratch up your platform. I don't do it because I don't want others to do it on my boat. I think its cool just not for me.

Some states is 20'. Ronix makes their surf ropes 20' now.

The surf rope is that long - but i never start on the end - i grab the big knot and am probably only about 10 ft tops behind the boat and even closer when i surf the sweet spot of the wave - although need to work on lengthining out the wave.

The surf rope is that long - but i never start on the end - i grab the big knot and am probably only about 10 ft tops behind the boat and even closer when i surf the sweet spot of the wave - although need to work on lengthining out the wave.

The point of the 20' rope is that the cops have no way to measure how far behind the boat you are, they go by the rope length.

I've been wondering how to do that as well. It looks way better than hopping in the water and wrestling to get the board under my heels. just worried about falling over and hitting the deck.

Posts have been deleted that have nothing to do with the original topic. If you want to discuss other topics, please open a new topic in the appropriate forum.

Hey akdawg1234 Started it.......Plus I did mention him hitting his head on the Ski Platform, So it was ,kinda relevant, Edited by Wakesetter67

As far as platform starts go its a good way to crack your board if its fiberglass, and scratch up your platform. I don't do it because I don't want others to do it on my boat. I think its cool just not for me.

Yep i agree, I don't let anyone else do this and Frankly haven't done it for a while, It was cool at first...Not so much now...

Heh, funny you should say that I have the exact same board. Although it looks cool I think I will stick with the rope to save my board. Probably an all around safer decision for person and the board.

This is the way I start when I surf. Just gotta be careful not to let the boat hit the transom. I have some scuffs on mine from the previous owner. Also, it can be abrasive on the teak if you have a teak platform. Nothing a little light sanding and/or teak oil can't fix.