Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

removing back seat back rest on 2004 wakesetter xti 23' direct drive

Please help me. I need to remove the rear seat back rest out of my 2004 wakesetter XTI direct drive. I have found all the screws that a human arm can possibly reach along both sides of the rap around backrest, but something is holding it on in the very back. I can't for the life of me figure out what it is and how to access it without breaking something. This can't be as difficult as I am making it. Help!

Edited by Baseballboy

I took the rear backrest out of my VTX a couple weeks ago. Got all the screws out and couldnt get the thing to budge. I searched and searched and didnt find any more screws. Then we started prying and pulling pretty hard on one corner, then the other, then back..etc It was just held in with suction and friction to the other vinal panels around it and at the back and bottom supports. I couldnt belive how stuck it was in place, almost like it was glued (but it wasnt). Once we got one corner moving a bit the rest came pretty easily. Maybe its just stuck?

there were also lag screws sticking into the sides of it from the gunnels, as well as screws into the bottom of it from the seat support, some that had heads burried in carpet and were not easy to find. I feel like 8 or 10 screws would have held my seat in there, not the almost 30 that were in it! Guess its better to over build...

there were also lag screws sticking into the sides of it from the gunnels, as well as screws into the bottom of it from the seat support, some that had heads burried in carpet and were not easy to find. I feel like 8 or 10 screws would have held my seat in there, not the almost 30 that were in it! Guess its better to over build...

Thank you for the suggestion. You guys on this forum are awesome. I tugged and pulled pretty hard and it sure does seem that it is hinged or bolted on the rear. I removed the two black compartments (seem like they're there to hold gloves and boot lube) to feel around back there. Can't feel any sort of screw or connector. I'll try again tonight. Anyone else have any thoughts?

You got any pictures? My rear seat comes out with just a handful of little 5/16" hex head screws that hold the cushion to the carpeted wall with a small bracket. Yours sounds different though.