Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Floating, manual, or turning wedge??

WakesetterE

I see that my boat had a manual wedge from the factory. However, after yesterday, I now have a turning wedge, as it now acts like a rudder turning the boat.

photo.jpg

I was in the middle of the lake, traveling straight, at 10.3 mph. We were teaching some new wake surfers, so only the center bag was full (600lbs), wedge down.

After three days of passes on a 200 acre lake, unexplainadly the boat sped up. Inspection found the above. The boat didn't impact anything, the prop and rudder are unmarked. The wedge front itself shows no impact The stainless two screws on the right side are sheared off with the heads still firmly attached to the wedge plate itself! Anyone else had this issue? Appears to me the stainless screws failed.

So, if I had had a floating wedge, would it have floated out of the way?(assuming I hit something) What is the differances between a floating wedge and a fixed one? Does one make a better wake? I assume that I can retrofit mine with a floating wedge if I change all the brackets, right? Is floating better?

Edited by WakesetterE

This has happened before on older boats. I am still waiting for mine to fail, the issue is the screws not impact. You can upgrade to a floater just by removing the old and bolting on the new one. The bolt patterns are said to be the same, you can verify this with the dealer when you order the replacement.

Thanks, but I'm trying to determine if the floating wedge offers any advantages to a manual one like mine was? Better wave?I dont really understand a "floating" wedge?

Somewhere, sometime long ago, somebody called this Auto wedge a floating wedge and the name stuck. Malibu doesn't even call it a floater. In fact it doesn't float at all in our tests. It stays firm against the stops. I couldn't tell any difference in the old style wedge and the "floater" on a 23 WSLSV. I have heard a few people say that they could, I couldn't and I took pictures before & after. The main advantage is, no more broken wedge screws and not having to lock and unlock it in the down position. The floater doesn't have bolts holding the wedge foil to the arms. Its welded so the problem with the older wedge screws failing will not happen on the floater. The floater will swing up in certain impact situations though and that's a good thing. I changed mine to the "floater" after several failures of the wedge screws. Mine was one with two screws on each arm/foil. It was a bolt on swap. No drilling, just unbolt the old and seal and bolt up the new one.

BTW...I have repaired several arms by bending them back with my truck by carefully driving over them until they are almost flat. Then supporting the arms on each side of the bent section with 1X4 blocks and carefully driving over those sections until it is flat and straight. You could probably do it with a press too if you can hold it.

post-5-055782900 1311632845_thumb.jpg

I have done the conversion from a manual wedge to the floating wedge. Direct bolt on but you will need the bracket and wedge....probably 1200.00 out the door unless you find a deal. To make matters a little more difficult the bracket is a dealer installed item. That is to say the dealer won't order it for you if your going to install it.....unless you find a used one.

IMHO the wake/ wave wasn't noticeably different. However I did the swap in the middle of the winter so a back to back comparison wasn't an option. Adv. It is easier to work. Anyone on my crew can raise/ lower it. More durable. Looks better.

dont think there are any disadvantages.

Thanks for the info.....What holds the "floating" wedge down against the flow of water? It doesn't appear to have lower locking pins? Can it still be disabled for foiling and tubing?

The flow of water holds it down. It can be locked in the up position just like yours if you don't want to use it.

To make matters a little more difficult the bracket is a dealer installed item.

That's the first that I've heard of that.

martinarcher

Somewhere, sometime long ago, somebody called this Auto wedge a floating wedge and the name stuck. Malibu doesn't even call it a floater. In fact it doesn't float at all in our tests. It stays firm against the stops. I couldn't tell any difference in the old style wedge and the "floater" on a 23 WSLSV. I have heard a few people say that they could, I couldn't and I took pictures before & after. The main advantage is, no more broken wedge screws and not having to lock and unlock it in the down position. The floater doesn't have bolts holding the wedge foil to the arms. Its welded so the problem with the older wedge screws failing will not happen on the floater. The floater will swing up in certain impact situations though and that's a good thing. I changed mine to the "floater" after several failures of the wedge screws. Mine was one with two screws on each arm/foil. It was a bolt on swap. No drilling, just unbolt the old and seal and bolt up the new one.

BTW...I have repaired several arms by bending them back with my truck by carefully driving over them until they are almost flat. Then supporting the arms on each side of the bent section with 1X4 blocks and carefully driving over those sections until it is flat and straight. You could probably do it with a press too if you can hold it.

Don't forget the "floater" is stainless too which is certainly an advantage for corrosion and aesthetics. Thumbup.gif

martinarcher

Don't forget the "floater" is stainless too which is certainly an advantage for corrosion and aesthetics. Thumbup.gif

.... er, aesthetics on the trailer, you mean. If you are actually using the boat, not so much, except for those people who love to stare under the swim platform while they are behind the boat with a handle in hand.

Ok, somebody upgrade to a power wedge so I can get a good deal on a floating wedge, please!

Thanks for all the help, everyone!!

Wow, yesterday was a bad day for manual wedges. Mine found a stump in Lake Conroe....same result.

.... er, aesthetics on the trailer, you mean. If you are actually using the boat, not so much, except for those people who love to stare under the swim platform while they are behind the boat with a handle in hand.

I don't make the aesthetic argument, but I do make the one being that it is more durable. It's fully stainless (including the bracket) & the foil is welded....not bolted....to the arms. A MUCH more durable design.

Does "Malibu" manufacture this assembly or another aftermarket mfg. co.?

I don't make the aesthetic argument, but I do make the one being that it is more durable. It's fully stainless (including the bracket) & the foil is welded....not bolted....to the arms. A MUCH more durable design.

:plus1:

martinarcher

I think the biggest advantage is durability too (and the ability to kick up if sticking an underwater object), but dang - you guys can't tell me a polished stainless wedge wouldn't look better between those polished down turned tips on the OP's first post! Rockon.gif

Actually, I rarely see my wedge. The boat is on a lift and you can't see it unless you are swimming under the boat. But I like it Stainless IF I'm swimming under the boat!! :whistle:

martinarcher

Actually, I rarely see my wedge. The boat is on a lift and you can't see it unless you are swimming under the boat. But I like it Stainless IF I'm swimming under the boat!! :whistle:

LOL.gif Mine lives in the trailer so I guess that's why I like the stainless so much more. Thumbup.gif

The bracket at over $400 BUCKS should be solid silver at least!

Someone has to have had their boat creamed by a car recently and totaled, right? Or sank, or something. I'm not picky, I just need one to recycle the wedge from....for the enviroment...Crazy.gif

I'm really getting into boating this year. In fact, a Malibu dealer should sponcer me as a reason NOT to buy a used boat! It might increase new boat sales....

new interior, new muffler, new alternator, new exhaust hose, new turn downs, 5 new tires, one new axle, 3 new hubs, a prop, new stereo, speakers, amps, new perfect pass,new cover, wedge?? all in 4 months. Feels like i'm re-buying it one piece at a time....

Edited by WakesetterE

I think the biggest advantage is durability too (and the ability to kick up if sticking an underwater object), but dang - you guys can't tell me a polished stainless wedge wouldn't look better between those polished down turned tips on the OP's first post! Rockon.gif

Oh you're right of course, but it's just not a practical argument for making the switch. If there were no functional difference between the 2 designs, then it would be silly to spend the money on the upgrade. But there is, and on the 2nd generation VLX hull (given its very specific wake issues) there is a very real performance advantage over the old fixed design. I can see why it doesn't show up in Ronnie's case, that hull would pretty much nullify what the floater can do. I would place a pretty good wager that if Ruffdog had had the opportunity to test it within the same season like I did (knowing what I do about that hull), he would have seen a measurable difference on his boat. But that's just speculation on my part.