Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Neutral Safety Switch

Yesterday afternoon I went to start the boat and take the family out and got nothing. I checked everything for power, all gauges worked, etc., checked fuses, etc., then jiggled the throttle lever ever so slighting and she started right up. I assume I have a neutral safety switch that's about ready to take a dump on me. Is there any way to test this to confirm my suspicion, or is it simply better to just order the new $16.00 switch, install it, and see if that's the issue?

martinarcher

You can test the switch with a multimeter.

The neutral safety switches have a little spring loaded ball that fits into a detent in the transmission shift lever when the transmission lever is perfectly centered in the neutral position. When the boat is in neutral, the ball fits in the detent and the switch allows the boat to start. Anywhere but neutral and the ball is pressed into the switch and prevents the starter from engaging.

It could be your tranny cable needs adjusted a bit and is not returning the tranny lever perfectly back to center which is slightly pressing on the ball. I've had to adjust mine once. My boat still is a bit picky about getting the knob just right.

You can test the switch with a multimeter.

The neutral safety switches have a little spring loaded ball that fits into a detent in the transmission shift lever when the transmission lever is perfectly centered in the neutral position. When the boat is in neutral, the ball fits in the detent and the switch allows the boat to start. Anywhere but neutral and the ball is pressed into the switch and prevents the starter from engaging.

It could be your tranny cable needs adjusted a bit and is not returning the tranny lever perfectly back to center which is slightly pressing on the ball. I've had to adjust mine once. My boat still is a bit picky about getting the knob just right.

Thanks. I'll check the cable adjustment as well.