Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

140 vs 144 Witness, do I need the larger board?

ilovetrains

11 members have voted

1. 1. Keep the 140 or get the 144?

• keep the 140
    • get the 144

So when the I had the boat in the shop for the impeller I was looking at new boards. I had decided to get one and the guys there talked to me about the Liquid Force Witness. I have been riding a 143 LF Balance and it sounded like the way to go. The only problem is, they did not have the 144. I am just under 6 ft and about 230 lbs and a recreational rider (no aerial tricks).

So I took the 140, and love it. It rides great. Might like a bit more pop, but overall it tracks excellent, turns sharp and feels very stable.

So my question is, what the 144 be like? Just wonder what that extra 4 cm gets me.

I can trade them the 140 for a 144 when the 144 comes in, so no cost difference.

I ride both a 138 (Cable) and a 142 (Boat). I have ridden both behind the boat. I am 6' 195lbs. The thing I notice the most is the pop off the wake with the 142. It seems that I sit a little higher on the water. With that being said, the 142 isn't nearly as stable, but that might be because I'm riding a Slingshot Recoil (No tracking other than the 4 fins).

It all depends on what you are looking for in a board. If you want stable, I would stay with the 140. If you plan on learning some tricks and catching some air, maybe the 144 would be a better option for you.

EDIT: Will they let you demo the 144 when it comes in and see which one you like better?

Edited by CincyVLX

You will definitely like the bigger board. I am 6ft 220# and wouldn't ride less than a 142 regularly. Sure, I can strap on my old 138 and still have fun, but I get tired faster (more drag) and have to work harder for less pop. I have found the opposite of Cincyvlx is that a lager board seems more stable and probably a little more forgiving on landings if you decide to start trying w2w tricks. Just my opinions though.

MalibuNation

You will definitely like the bigger board. I am 6ft 220# and wouldn't ride less than a 142 regularly. Sure, I can strap on my old 138 and still have fun, but I get tired faster (more drag) and have to work harder for less pop. I have found the opposite of Cincyvlx is that a lager board seems more stable and probably a little more forgiving on landings if you decide to start trying w2w tricks. Just my opinions though.

post-371-009084800 1311264706_thumb.gif

Just to add, the 144 will give you more float & more pop, and be more stable than a smaller board (cincy's experience likely has more to do with the board design than size - generally bigger boards are more stable). Go for the bigger board at your size.

I ride both a 138 (Cable) and a 142 (Boat). I have ridden both behind the boat. I am 6' 195lbs. The thing I notice the most is the pop off the wake with the 142. It seems that I sit a little higher on the water. With that being said, the 142 isn't nearly as stable, but that might be because I'm riding a Slingshot Recoil (No tracking other than the 4 fins).

It all depends on what you are looking for in a board. If you want stable, I would stay with the 140. If you plan on learning some tricks and catching some air, maybe the 144 would be a better option for you.

I have to disagree with this advice. All other things being equal, it is widely accepted that a longer board provides more stability.