Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Seats pulling away at seams!

Just noticed that the two rear seat cushions are tearing away at the seams. They just started to pull away so I was hoping I could do something to repair them. Is there anything I can do or will I have to order new skins and have them replaced?

Sounds like the threads are rotting somehow. Dry rot? Some harsh cleaning chemicals? Age? Or a combination of them all?

You can dismantle the seat & resew the skins. Then reassemble. It is the kind of task that can be done by someone who is fairly handy with tools & sewing. Might not be for everyone though.

I have one that is doing the same thing. It's on the side we usually use to get into the boat. I'm assuming it is from people stepping on this cushion and it getting stretched enough times to pull the seam. I'm assuming this because this is the only cushion we have an issue with.

At some point I will purchase a new skin to put on since the skins are still made for our boat.

The cushion everyone steps on is doing the same thing in my boat. I've used a clear vinyl repair from permatex that worked good and is ultra clear, you can hardly see it. I've had a couple little tears too and it is strong stuff

When my seat got ten years old the threads were rotten. Its not worth replacing the the stitching without doing the seats as labor is at least half the cost of skin replacement IMO.

Ya it is only on the two rear cushions where everyone steps on coming in and out of the boat. I wish I could beef up the cushions some how so they wouldn't rip atthe seams.

It's only a 2008 with 115 hours. I'm surprised it's already tearing!

Ya it is only on the two rear cushions where everyone steps on coming in and out of the boat. I wish I could beef up the cushions some how so they wouldn't rip atthe seams.

I have the exact same problem w/ my 2008. I will try the Permatex or if I order a new skin, it will be solid vinyl w/ no seams.

May want to check with your dealer about getting it covered under warranty. A buddy just had a skin replaced this past year under warranty on his 2006

Ive had mine resewn and havent had another problem with it.$50 at local upholstery shop best 50 ive spent :)

Edited by apwrx

Ive had mine resewn and havent had another problem with it.$50 at local upholstery shop best 50 ive spent :)

Exactly. I've done this myself & it cost me a box of SS staples & a six pack. :Doh:

I just had mine done last week, one corner was split, the other corner was about to, so I took them both in to a local seat cover place. She said they put a stiffer foam on the top layer to keep it from putting stress on the seams. It cost me $190, which I think was too much personally, but they look like they were never damaged. I have a 2003.

I had the same problem with all three back seat base cushions. Mine was an actual tearing of the vinyl at the seams. A local upholstery shop took them apart, repaired them & put them back together. Cost $60/cushion & was a great spend.

Eventually, I'll have to replace most of the skins, but this seems to have bought me a year or two.

Let me guess, vRide? Mine is starting to do the same thing also on one of the rear cushions. Like what was said before, it's due to all the people stepping on it when going to and from the sun deck. I think it also has a lot to do with the thinner vinyl material they use for the upholstery on the Ride series versus the Wakesetters.

Let me guess, vRide? Mine is starting to do the same thing also on one of the rear cushions. Like what was said before, it's due to all the people stepping on it when going to and from the sun deck. I think it also has a lot to do with the thinner vinyl material they use for the upholstery on the Ride series versus the Wakesetters.

I have an 05 Vride with well over 400 hrs on it & no tearing in the back seats. My neighbor has an 08 Vride with over 250 hrs on it & no tearing. No clue why, other than we use products like Babes & Boat Bling to clean the interior. And we both have steps on the gunnels to step on rather than using the seats. :unsure:

Or maybe just lucky?

The boat I did have this problem on was a 94 MC 205. The rear seat & the drivers seat both had seams that ripped out. These boats had great quality upholstery, even by today's standards. The problem was that I bought the boat in 1999, when it was 5 yrs old & only had 59 hrs on it. It had been stored in a barn near Pendleton, OR (very dry climate) had signs of dry rot in numerous places. I don't know if that had anything to do with the climate, the barn, the chemicals used to clean the boat, or the quality of the threads. But you could clearly see the holes in the upholstery were not ripped out. The threads had all broken. I pulled the seats apart myself, inverted the holstery, pinned it all back together, and brought it in to a guy who ran them thru an upholstery sewing machine. Then reassembled them. It was very easy & not very expensive at all.

Might be worth a closer look for you guys who have this problem. Is it the upholstery that ripping out? Or the seams? :unsure:

I have an 05 Vride with well over 400 hrs on it & no tearing in the back seats. My neighbor has an 08 Vride with over 250 hrs on it & no tearing. No clue why, other than we use products like Babes & Boat Bling to clean the interior. And we both have steps on the gunnels to step on rather than using the seats. :unsure:

Or maybe just lucky?

The boat I did have this problem on was a 94 MC 205. The rear seat & the drivers seat both had seams that ripped out. These boats had great quality upholstery, even by today's standards. The problem was that I bought the boat in 1999, when it was 5 yrs old & only had 59 hrs on it. It had been stored in a barn near Pendleton, OR (very dry climate) had signs of dry rot in numerous places. I don't know if that had anything to do with the climate, the barn, the chemicals used to clean the boat, or the quality of the threads. But you could clearly see the holes in the upholstery were not ripped out. The threads had all broken. I pulled the seats apart myself, inverted the holstery, pinned it all back together, and brought it in to a guy who ran them thru an upholstery sewing machine. Then reassembled them. It was very easy & not very expensive at all.

Might be worth a closer look for you guys who have this problem. Is it the upholstery that ripping out? Or the seams? :unsure:

My vRide is an 08 with 170hrs. I use nothing but Babes products on my boat and it's stored in my garage so I don't think it's a climate or harsh chemical issue. It appears to be seperating at the seams. My kids are up & down, in & out of the boat all day long when we're out on the water. It's also the side I pull up to the dock on and no matter how much you tell people to step on the gunnel and then down onto the floor they seem to always step on the seat as well :mad: I'm keeping an extra close eye on it and enforcing the "do not step here rule" until I get it fixed during the off season.

So your sure that it's the threads ripping out & not the upholstery tearing?

Take your seat in & have them do like skiatook_bu did... resew it & insert stiffer foam. You will save some money over reupholstering it.

Sounds like wienrdog had some luck with this too, even though it was the vinyl that failed..... although his boat is considerably older too.

Good luck.

So your sure that it's the threads ripping out & not the upholstery tearing?

Take your seat in & have them do like skiatook_bu did... resew it & insert stiffer foam. You will save some money over reupholstering it.

Sounds like wienrdog had some luck with this too, even though it was the vinyl that failed..... although his boat is considerably older too.

Good luck.

Positive it is. Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

Check your seams for sand. I was amazed at how much sand can hide underneath the bead after a trip to Priest Lake. You have to really work to get it out. I imagine that sand will tear at the threads if left in there.

Seems like the prices are about the same across the country cost me $60.00 per cushion. He did tell me though it will most likely happen again.