Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

09 23 LSV wakesurf ballast setup

Mnboarder15

I have an 09 23 LSV and I'm dialing in my surf wave. I have an extra 750# sac in the rear left locker to go with the stock MLS tanks and the power wedge. I've been having quite a bit of trouble dialing it in with the right ballast, wedge, and speed adjustments. Any suggestions for what to do??

Thanks!

Ok I ask because I was told the HH weighs 200# less than the monsoon, and the monsoon wieghs 400# less than the 8.1 IIRC. Makes a big difference in how you need to weight it.

With your setup we ran a 750 in rear locker surf side, another 400 tube sac under the surf side seats, all the passengers on surf side, and wedge 2-3 clicks up from the bottom. Speed 10-12. I surfed all the way up to 14 mph with ease on this setup.

I like to ride between 10.4-11. Haven't checked speed calibration for a while and was running over 12mph on a Tige the other day so I'm sure it's faster than 10.4.

None of that info is relevent the the topic at hand. This is a thread about the surf wave behind his 09' 23 LSV. I'm sure the OP is indebted to you for all the insight you've provided on the subject.

Not relevant? He asked SPECIFICALLY about SPEED on multiple occasions and YOU even provided your suggestion. And my speed suggestions and calibration check are not "relevant"?... :lol:

As you well know (and you don't have to have a 23 to know this) OP should be able to ride that setup NO PROBLEM with that ballast setup, leaving only speed as a potential issue, highly suggestive of a calibration problem. Given that your ballast suggestions didn't get him surfing and your final suggestion (before I suggested he look at a calibration issue) was to "keep at it", surely he owes you the debt of gratitude. :lol:

I was ralking about his board size and how much he weighs genius.

Where I live, preferred speeds absolutely depend on the size of the rider and board, hence why I gave him a range and said he would develop his own preferences. Your response was to listen to you.

OP, seriously, disregard anything I have said. DON'T check your calibration then experiment with my suggested speed range, just "keep at it". If your boat is going 7 or 14, just use the opportunity to develop a unique style. MOST importantly, no matter what you do, DON'T listen to ANYONE else who does not have an 09 LSV. This is coming from someone who has now been bestowed the title of genius and who does NOT have an 09 LSV.

...but if you were so inclined to listen to anyone else's advice, I'd check your calibration, and, if correct, and you're still having problems, my guess is that you are too far back in the wave and not getting the board sufficiently parallel to the wave, hence you have drag, which is preventing you from staying in the pocket. It's not like an ocean wave where you can ride perpendicular. Really ride that toe side edge and get some more weight on your front foot, riding the rear causes drag too.

Since you guys are done with your pissing contest, can we get this thread back on track?

In a 2011 23LSV With just stock MLS (Front, Center, Port), wedge about half-way up, and a 400lb fat sac in the port locker, we run about 10.6 to 11.6 depending upon the amount of people in the boat. Gives a good amount of push that is very ridable. With a 750 in the rear corner and nothing under the seats and no extra in the bow, you might have a wall of water with a short pocket. Move some folks to the bow and bump the speed a bit and see if it makes the wave any better. My bro-in-law and I were finally able to get the boat out without any kids and do some playing. We had the Bow and Port MLS full (No Center), 600lbs in the locker, 500 in the port side seats, and 350 in the bow with the wedge all the way down. Throws a monster wave with a clean lip running about 10.6-10.8. Our buddy was throwing 3's and shuv-its without issue.

Good luck with the wave!

Since you guys are done with your pissing contest, can we get this thread back on track?

In a 2011 23LSV With just stock MLS (Front, Center, Port), wedge about half-way up, and a 400lb fat sac in the port locker, we run about 10.6 to 11.6 depending upon the amount of people in the boat. Gives a good amount of push that is very ridable. With a 750 in the rear corner and nothing under the seats and no extra in the bow, you might have a wall of water with a short pocket. Move some folks to the bow and bump the speed a bit and see if it makes the wave any better. My bro-in-law and I were finally able to get the boat out without any kids and do some playing. We had the Bow and Port MLS full (No Center), 600lbs in the locker, 500 in the port side seats, and 350 in the bow with the wedge all the way down. Throws a monster wave with a clean lip running about 10.6-10.8. Our buddy was throwing 3's and shuv-its without issue.

Good luck with the wave!

Yeah that would be awesome.