Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

09 23 LSV wakesurf ballast setup

Mnboarder15

I have an 09 23 LSV and I'm dialing in my surf wave. I have an extra 750# sac in the rear left locker to go with the stock MLS tanks and the power wedge. I've been having quite a bit of trouble dialing it in with the right ballast, wedge, and speed adjustments. Any suggestions for what to do??

Thanks!

Its the 350 monsoon engine

Ok I ask because I was told the HH weighs 200# less than the monsoon, and the monsoon wieghs 400# less than the 8.1 IIRC. Makes a big difference in how you need to weight it.

With your setup we ran a 750 in rear locker surf side, another 400 tube sac under the surf side seats, all the passengers on surf side, and wedge 2-3 clicks up from the bottom. Speed 10-12. I surfed all the way up to 14 mph with ease on this setup.

Edited by 06vlx

Thanks for the input! We have the 750 in the rear locker covered with a fat sac that is automatic with the dash controls but other than that everything else is stock MLS tanks. Would there be a way to achieve a good wave without the extra 400 in the seats? What did you do with the stock mls tanks along with the fat sacs?

All stock MLS was full except non surf side. Put enough people in there to make up the 400# under the seats surf side and you should be good. The more weight you feed the wave the better it gets.

ok great thanks!! ill give it a go this weekend and see how it is. Do you think it would still be possible to freeride without the extra 400 on the seat?

ok great thanks!! ill give it a go this weekend and see how it is. Do you think it would still be possible to freeride without the extra 400 on the seat?

Yeah should be no problem.

Went out this weekend and was only able to freeride for 45 seconds max, we toyed with the speed but never really was able to get a lot of push in the wave to freeride for awhile. Any suggestions on what to do/change?

Went out this weekend and was only able to freeride for 45 seconds max, we toyed with the speed but never really was able to get a lot of push in the wave to freeride for awhile. Any suggestions on what to do/change?

How much weight are you running?

The other question I would ask is "How much have you surfed?" Unless you've been surfing behind something else for awhile, you're probably about right.

You can always work on getting a better and better wake, but freeriding is as much about skill as wake setup. You can freeride indefinitely behind a stock MLS setup, if you've been doing it awhile. If you are just starting out, hold on to the rope and practice your stalls where you stay in a specific spot in the wake for as long as possible.

Also, remember that slower will generally give you a taller wake with a smaller pocket, which is generally useful for people just starting out. Once you can ride the wake up to the boat, back to the edge of the pocket and forward again without banging against the rope, then move the speed up a notch or two.

If you've got several people in your boat, move them all the way to the back of the boat, look at the wake, then move them all the way forward, wait for the speed to level out and check out the wake again. It gives you a good idea of what moving weight around does to the wake.

We ran full MLS tanks and a 750# sac in the rear locker. I started surfing about mid July last summer until late August then started up again this mid June til now. I feel very comfortable on a surfboard being a skateboarder, snowboarder, and wakeboarder. I was the only one to really be able to freeride at all, but then again everyone i was with are almost complete beginners.

We ran full MLS tanks and a 750# sac in the rear locker. I started surfing about mid July last summer until late August then started up again this mid June til now. I feel very comfortable on a surfboard being a skateboarder, snowboarder, and wakeboarder. I was the only one to really be able to freeride at all, but then again everyone i was with are almost complete beginners.

Don't know what to tell you other than keep at it.

Ya, i'll just keep going at it. What speed would you recommend? I'm running it off the the Maliview system and just turning the speed on.

Ya, i'll just keep going at it. What speed would you recommend? I'm running it off the the Maliview system and just turning the speed on.

I like to ride between 10.4-11. Haven't checked speed calibration for a while and was running over 12mph on a Tige the other day so I'm sure it's faster than 10.4.

with that setup you should be able to ride between 9.5 and 12 but you'll develop a preference

Ok I ask because I was told the HH weighs 200# less than the monsoon, and the monsoon wieghs 400# less than the 8.1 IIRC. Makes a big difference in how you need to weight it.

With your setup we ran a 750 in rear locker surf side, another 400 tube sac under the surf side seats, all the passengers on surf side, and wedge 2-3 clicks up from the bottom. Speed 10-12. I surfed all the way up to 14 mph with ease on this setup.

I like to ride between 10.4-11. Haven't checked speed calibration for a while and was running over 12mph on a Tige the other day so I'm sure it's faster than 10.4.

with that setup you should be able to ride between 9.5 and 12 but you'll develop a preference

I'd listen to the guy that has a 09' lsv :whistle: .

OP, just listen to 06. I don't know how big you or your board are, maybe 06 does hence his confidence as to who you should be listening to.

None of that info is relevent the the topic at hand. This is a thread about the surf wave behind his 09' 23 LSV. I'm sure the OP is indebted to you for all the insight you've provided on the subject.