Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 VLX vs 2011 23LSV (Wakesetter) wake

Northern Exposure

Looking for some general advise. Went from a 2009 VLX to a 2011 23 LSV this year. Tried surfing a couple of days ago and was dissapointed in the wake behind the 23LSV. I tried different speeds, filling and emptying different ballasts but the wake was not there. I had a better wake on the VLX. The only thing I didn't touch was the wedge (set at 100%) down. Anyone else move up to the bigger boat and having the same issue or happy with wake? If there are any suggestions out there, please let me know. My gut feeling is that the wedge is not going all the way down as when you take off it is up to speed with little effort and it seems like the motor is hardly working during surfing. I know it has the auto adjust where it stays up during the take off , then goes into position once speed achived. Thanks Northern

Very different boats with very different wakes. With that said the 23 takes more weight and will dwarf the wave on the vlx.

Check out these reviews for the differences. I know it's a review of the 09' 23 but the hull is the same as the 11' and your results will be the same.

Edited by 06vlx

2010 23 WSLSV here. Front, center and port locker ballast tanks full. 1100 in rear port locker and seat bottom sac under port seat. No exposed ballast sacs. Wedge 100% down. 10.4 mph (GPS verified). Ran this way through two 23 wslsv's for the last 8 years.

2010 LSV 23 and we have front, center, and surf side full, wedge full down with 1100 in locker 500 on the seat and 500 in bow speed at 10.6. stock surf wake is a joke.

Thanks for the replies. I quess I will be going down to the dealer/watersport store and buying some sacs. Nothing better to do this weekend as it supposed to rain all weekend and cool. Right now 10C (50F). When I bought the boat I thought the bigger the boat the bigger the wake! Not the case. A learning for me, keep asking questions and don't assume. Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I quess I will be going down to the dealer/watersport store and buying some sacs. Nothing better to do this weekend as it supposed to rain all weekend and cool. Right now 10C (50F). When I bought the boat I thought the bigger the boat the bigger the wake! Not the case. A learning for me, keep asking questions and don't assume. Thanks

The bigger the boat the bigger the potential wake/wave. No worries once you get it sac'd out you'll see how huge the wave will get.

2008 23LSV..... I run port tank, center, and front and a 900lb sac in the locker and a sac under the port seat. You will find moving the wedge closer to max wake ( I run mine at max wake) will help improve the height and especially clean up the wave.

Sitting at a friends cabin a Gull Lake tonight enjoying the rain and watching my breath.

2008 23LSV..... I run port tank, center, and front and a 900lb sac in the locker and a sac under the port seat. You will find moving the wedge closer to max wake ( I run mine at max wake) will help improve the height and especially clean up the wave.

Sitting at a friends cabin a Gull Lake tonight enjoying the rain and watching my breath.

Sorry, when you say "closer to max wake", do you mean 100% down or play with setting of wedge until wake improves? Still rainy/windy this morning and supposed to be like this all weekend. Good thing I traded shifts with someone a few months ago so I could get this weekend off! Oh well maybe next weekend. Thanks

All you need to do is add more weight. The 23 is a wave machine but requires alot of weight.

We started with all 4 tanks full and a 750 in the rear - It was surf-able but the wave really started to develop with 750 along the seat and then 500 in the bow along the rail. this gives a steep wave and you can control the height and length with speed.

We now have an # 1100 bag in the trunk, # 800 of lead under the seat, # 500 in the bow, Wedge at the max setting 12.5 MPH this is a wave with a long 20' pocket and a lot of push.

My wife just talked to a work collegue and he has the same boat as us. He says he fills centre and port side. Then puts 550 lb sac in port side locker and 550 sac on floor in front of seat in the middle. No wedge. Says it the best wake. Any comments? Going to dealer this weekend to check out sacs. Northern

My wife just talked to a work collegue and he has the same boat as us. He says he fills centre and port side. Then puts 550 lb sac in port side locker and 550 sac on floor in front of seat in the middle. No wedge. Says it the best wake. Any comments? Going to dealer this weekend to check out sacs. Northern

Yeah, everyone's idea of an "awesome wave" is different.

Forgot to post, bought 2 (400 lb.) fat sacs on Friday and went out on the weekend. Finally on Sunday got a pretty good wake and all is well again. Had one in the port locker and one on the floor at the back, wedge was down one notch and 11 mph. Didn't fill bow ballast. Probably going to play with it during holidays next week. Thanks to all for helping. Northern.