Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'88 skier steering issue

all, I am the guy who picked up what I thought was an 89 skier for $2800, turned out to actually be an 88, but oh well. After spending a couple hundred on some minor fixes like new exhaust tubing, some gor tex packing, some new exhaust flaps, blower, annd blower hose and few other things, i have confirmed that i have got myself a steal of a deal.

I towed her 2400 miles from montana to central CA and back for a family vacation and ran her hard all day, everyday for 6 days straight at shaver lake, CA. after 6 tanks of fuel, she ran awesome, did everything I asked and did not hesitate to start no matter how many times we shut her off teaching one of the 40 kids we had at the camp how to ski, or wake board.

i do have one question, she lists to the right side a bit, i am sure because there is water logged foam under her floor that I will be replacing in the winter along with her stringers, but would that affect then right turning temperment? i have never owned a inboard and love the way it turns to the left on a dime, but when I turn to the right it seems to bog down and really struggle to do it. the rudder and steering seem to be working fine at slow speed, with no issues, but under throttle, she just does not like to do it.

any suggestions or is this just the nature of the boat? i do turn left most of the time with these counter clock wise lakes, but the right turn thing bothers me.

thanks

jared

all, I am the guy who picked up what I thought was an 89 skier for $2800, turned out to actually be an 88, but oh well. After spending a couple hundred on some minor fixes like new exhaust tubing, some gor tex packing, some new exhaust flaps, blower, annd blower hose and few other things, i have confirmed that i have got myself a steal of a deal.

I towed her 2400 miles from montana to central CA and back for a family vacation and ran her hard all day, everyday for 6 days straight at shaver lake, CA. after 6 tanks of fuel, she ran awesome, did everything I asked and did not hesitate to start no matter how many times we shut her off teaching one of the 40 kids we had at the camp how to ski, or wake board.

i do have one question, she lists to the right side a bit, i am sure because there is water logged foam under her floor that I will be replacing in the winter along with her stringers, but would that affect then right turning temperment? i have never owned a inboard and love the way it turns to the left on a dime, but when I turn to the right it seems to bog down and really struggle to do it. the rudder and steering seem to be working fine at slow speed, with no issues, but under throttle, she just does not like to do it.

any suggestions or is this just the nature of the boat? i do turn left most of the time with these counter clock wise lakes, but the right turn thing bothers me.

thanks

jared

I'm interesred in other responses to your question as well. I have noticed that my '88 turns better to the left as well especially if the boat is under load- like pulling tubers. I am assuming it is because the prop is LH rotation and there is more water flow toward the left face of the rudder? Just a guess-maybe someone else knows. I do know that with a four blade prop on mine at higher speeds the prop torque rolls the boat noticeably over to the right side and if I try to make a sharp turn to the right it cavitates like hell.

My 88 turns a lot better to the left. I wish it went right but it is what it is. I'm guess it is the same reason why in reverse it goes right. If I am thinking right part of the rudder is grinder which makes the boat go one way or the other.

However I very rarely turn really sharp either way. I usually power down and turn to pick up a dropped skier unless I need to do it quick.

Edited by skier_88