Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

TZ X5 OJ Prop

Mal Gal

Does anyone know anyting about the new TZ X5 Prop from OJ? Just read about it in Transworld/Wakeboarding Magazine. I looked on OJ website and found nothing mentioned. We have a 383 hammerhead motor and looking for more low end power for surfing.....

That prop will be an option for Axis 2012 line.

Luciano

Is that the only boat it is available for? It is a full page ad in magazine, looks like it could be for all boats/motors

• 4 weeks later...

Any news on this prop yet? Hoping to order this or the Acme 1615-112m this week. Thanks.

There is a thread on the Wakeworld forums about it. People are claiming lower rpms, better fuel economy, more consistant rpms and some say better hole shot than other wake props while running 3k+ ballast.

Price is $650.

Sounds like it's right up my alley then. Thanks for the info. I was a little concerned about the price being higher but if it'll get the job done then it's worth it to me.

I hoped to have a report by now, but seems they are slammed with orders. I called yesterday and was told I will have it next week...just in time for a tournament. I see that's its listed as a option as a core prop for Axis on I-Spec for '12.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the new 5 blade prop yesterday from OJ. I plan to get it out before my boat goes to it's new owner next week. I just won't have the time to do the comparisons I wanted to. That may have to wait until the next boat, but I will still report how it performs.

P8170018.jpg

I ran the 5 blade prop last night and overall was pretty impressed. As noted, I won't have a lot of time with this boat for further comparison. I would like to get the data of the ACME 1939 and OJ 5 blade with stock ballast - I think think the ACME turns around 3500 RPM with stock ballast at 23.6 MPH.

Stock Prop - Acme 1939 (14" x 15.5 x .105)

Top speed WOT - 44.5 / 5100 RPM

No Ballast or Wedge

2011 VLX / 350hp / Ballast Approx 3500 lbs.

Stock ballast 1250#, plus 2 - 750's in the rear, 1000 bow sac and sacs estimated 90% full / only me 235# in the boat - wedge 2 clicks up or 25%.

Albermarle, NC - 650' elevation

Core Prop (custom) - Acme XXXX (14.5" x 12.75 x .105)

Top Speed WOT - 38 MPH / 5250 RPM hitting limiter

Wakeboard Speed - 24 MPH / 4200 RPM

OJ 5 Blade 1936-1 (no specs sent)

Top Speed WOT - 44.5 / 5250 hitting limiter

Wakeboard Speed - 24 MPH / 3600 RPM

First off, the boat sounds and feels a Little different when getting out of the hole. There's no vibration, it may be turbulence off the prop??? I note it because of the difference, otherwise smooth and quiet at speed. The 5 blade does give up a little time on hole shot as the custom Acme prop, so I may want a little lower pitch.

The things l like about the prop most is the lower RPM and the speed holds more consistent. I also noticed the rooster-tail is lowered by maybe a third, I'm assuming by the lower RPM. I'll talk to Eric Johnson the first of the week and see if the one sent to me was the only dia/pitch/cup they are making and get his opinion. It was getting late and about to storm so I didn't get any data, but I believe the 5 blade will be be a beast with stock ballast.

I realize this does not compare to a prop that anyone may be running. I did run the ACME 1235 on my "09 VLX, it ran just over 4000 RPM weighted the same and a very similar hole shot. I'll be glad to answer any questions if I can.

I finally got the new 5 blade prop yesterday from OJ. I plan to get it out before my boat goes to it's new owner next week. I just won't have the time to do the comparisons I wanted to. That may have to wait until the next boat, but I will still report how it performs.

P8170018.jpg

It sure looks cool, its gotta catch some attention on the trailer. There's a lot of surface area there to move water!!

I ran the 5 blade prop last night and overall was pretty impressed. As noted, I won't have a lot of time with this boat for further comparison. I would like to get the data of the ACME 1939 and OJ 5 blade with stock ballast - I think think the ACME turns around 3500 RPM with stock ballast at 23.6 MPH.

Stock Prop - Acme 1939 (14" x 15.5 x .105)

Top speed WOT - 44.5 / 5100 RPM

No Ballast or Wedge

2011 VLX / 350hp / Ballast Approx 3500 lbs.

Stock ballast 1250#, plus 2 - 750's in the rear, 1000 bow sac and sacs estimated 90% full / only me 235# in the boat - wedge 2 clicks up or 25%.

Albermarle, NC - 650' elevation

Core Prop (custom) - Acme XXXX (14.5" x 12.75 x .105)

Top Speed WOT - 38 MPH / 5250 RPM hitting limiter

Wakeboard Speed - 24 MPH / 4200 RPM

OJ 5 Blade 1936-1 (no specs sent)

Top Speed WOT - 44.5 / 5250 hitting limiter

Wakeboard Speed - 24 MPH / 3600 RPM

First off, the boat sounds and feels a Little different when getting out of the hole. There's no vibration, it may be turbulence off the prop??? I note it because of the difference, otherwise smooth and quiet at speed. The 5 blade does give up a little time on hole shot as the custom Acme prop, so I may want a little lower pitch.

The things l like about the prop most is the lower RPM and the speed holds more consistent. I also noticed the rooster-tail is lowered by maybe a third, I'm assuming by the lower RPM. I'll talk to Eric Johnson the first of the week and see if the one sent to me was the only dia/pitch/cup they are making and get his opinion. It was getting late and about to storm so I didn't get any data, but I believe the 5 blade will be be a beast with stock ballast.

I realize this does not compare to a prop that anyone may be running. I did run the ACME 1235 on my "09 VLX, it ran just over 4000 RPM weighted the same and a very similar hole shot. I'll be glad to answer any questions if I can.

Thanks for posting, Monsoon 350 engine right? RPM drops look to be pretty significant. Not sure you can answer this, but really wondering how this would translate to gallons per hour...

Thanks for posting, Monsoon 350 engine right? RPM drops look to be pretty significant. Not sure you can answer this, but really wondering how this would translate to gallons per hour...

Yes, I did run it on the Monsoon 350 and won't predict GPH savings. I do know that anytime I've gone to a lower pitch/higher RPM prop I've seen a increase in gas usage. That being the case, I have to believe with the boat weighted the prop will save $$. I want to run it with stock ballast and compare it to the 1939, but it doesn't look like I'll get the chance. I don't have a verdict after only running it one wakeboard set, but it seems promising.

Edited by thtrog

Yes, I did run it on the Monsoon 350 and won't predict GPH savings. I do know that anytime I've gone to a lower pitch/higher RPM prop I've seen a increase in gas usage. That being the case, I have to believe with the boat weighted the prop will save $$. I want to run it with stock ballast and compare it to the 1939, but it doesn't look like I'll get the chance. I don't have a verdict after only running it one wakeboard set, but it seems promising.

Figured it would be very tough to predict savings. The RPM numbers are impressive. I'm not running quite as much weight, but I am running more than factory. I've got a 1235 on the boat now and a spare, never used 475 I'm wondering if I can exchange :whistle: and pay the difference to upgrade. It the prop could save me just a 1/2 gallon per hour it would pay for itself in a year with current gas prices. I know my '11 seems like it's sucking down more fuel than my '08 did, but I'm running a little more weight also.

Also meant to ask how the handling was around turns? Figuring if it holds speed better it does so better around the turns also, but just wanted to make sure???

Edited by sp0tts

We got to take the boat out one more time today with the new owner. We ran stock ballast and the 5 blade performed exceptionally well. I ran the Acme 1235 the majority of the time on our '09 VLX and think the OJ 5 blade has a very similar hole shot. It does run less RPM and holds speed well in the turns. We also surfed today and the boat performed well with 750# sac on top of stock ballast.

Here's the results wakeboarding today:

Stock Ballast 1250# / 2 people total 400#/wedge 25%

Wakeboard Speed 22.6 / RPM 3000

Hopefully this will give more info to compare to your prop. With us running 3000 pounds plus I think I still want a little lower pitch, but not much.The new owner left happy with his new boat and the OJ 5 blade installed. It's been 3 hours and I'm ready for another boat.

Edited by thtrog

We got to take the boat out one more time today with the new owner. We ran stock ballast and the 5 blade performed exceptionally well. I ran the Acme 1235 the majority of the time on our '09 VLX and think the OJ 5 blade has a very similar hole shot. It does run less RPM and holds speed well in the turns. We also surfed today and the boat performed well with 750# sac on top of stock ballast.

Here's the results wakeboarding today:

Stock Ballast 1250# / 2 people total 400#/wedge 25%

Wakeboard Speed 22.6 / RPM 3000

Hopefully this will give more info to compare to your prop. With us running 3000 pounds plus I think I still want a little lower pitch, but not much.The new owner left happy with his new boat and the OJ 5 blade installed. It's been 3 hours and I'm ready for another boat.

Thanks so much for the info, very helpful. Hopefully it won't be too long before your next boat shows up, I know the feeling, and even once you get it the break in hours are torture...

• 1 month later...

Just ran this prop on a fully weighted AXIS A22. Full Ballast, Wedge, and PNP

It was by far the POOREST holeshot of the 6 different props we tested. At 10, 20, and 30mph it did have the lowest RPM's by about 700 lower than the highest rpm prop tested.

The 4 blade OJ that came stock on this boat whooped it. (It performed similarly to the 1235 acme)

My hands down favorite we tested and the fastest prop to 10, 20 and 30 while returning respectable RPM's was the ACME 14.5x12 (2079B)

I also tested a wicked looking 5 blade acme, it was dead even with the above propeller until about 25mph, when the 4 blade pulled away.

I'm walking away with this, you can either have unreal holeshots on heavily weighted boats, OR suffer the holeshots and have a bit better fuel economy. 5 blades aren't necessarily the answer.

Now, 5 blades should make the wake feel better. We're checking that out tonight on our 247

Edited by edgeski1

Just ran this prop on a fully weighted AXIS A22. Full Ballast, Wedge, and PNP

It was by far the POOREST holeshot of the 6 different props we tested. At 10, 20, and 30mph it did have the lowest RPM's by about 700 lower than the highest rpm prop tested.

The 4 blade OJ that came stock on this boat whooped it. (It performed similarly to the 1235 acme)

My hands down favorite we tested and the fastest prop to 10, 20 and 30 while returning respectable RPM's was the ACME 14.5x12 (2079B)

I also tested a wicked looking 5 blade acme, it was dead even with the above propeller until about 25mph, when the 4 blade pulled away.

I'm walking away with this, you can either have unreal holeshots on heavily weighted boats, OR suffer the holeshots and have a bit better fuel economy. 5 blades aren't necessarily the answer.

Now, 5 blades should make the wake feel better. We're checking that out tonight on our 247

Great info thanks for sharing, look forward to your other observations on the 5 blade concept.

Curioius what your observations were on the ACME 2079B as far as performance (little more detail) and what RPM's were spinning at?