Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raw water pump leaking!

Ok so I recently changed out my water circulation pump and my alternator and put a new belt on. In order to put the belt on you have to remove all hoses from the raw water pump, and then disconnect the bracket. I made the mistake of turning my engine on with these brackets disconnected (alcohol was involved) in order to make sure the new belt was going to work and not squeal, causing the pump to spin around (although didn't hear it hit anything. Anyways long story short I now have a small leak in the back of the pump I believe? Can I run with it? I've put in alot of money getting the boat ready for the weekend and I definitely don't have time or resources to get a pump here by tomorrow. What can I do to help the situation? Is it safe to run? Will the pump prime?

Any any other advice pertaining to the situation

Man, I'm all for a couple beers while working on the boat but probably not during a job like that :Doh:

I'm probably wrong about this, I usually am but it never stops me. I remember someone saying there is a weep hole somewhere on these pumps and when the internal bearing or what ever starts to fail water will pass through it and out the weep hole indicating you're in for a bad day soon unless you get it fixed. Are you feeling lucky? :biggrin:

Ok so I recently changed out my water circulation pump and my alternator and put a new belt on. In order to put the belt on you have to remove all hoses from the raw water pump, and then disconnect the bracket. I made the mistake of turning my engine on with these brackets disconnected (alcohol was involved) in order to make sure the new belt was going to work and not squeal, causing the pump to spin around (although didn't hear it hit anything. Anyways long story short I now have a small leak in the back of the pump I believe? Can I run with it? I've put in alot of money getting the boat ready for the weekend and I definitely don't have time or resources to get a pump here by tomorrow. What can I do to help the situation? Is it safe to run? Will the pump prime?

Any any other advice pertaining to the situation

easiest fix is to replace the seal in the back of the pump. It's cheap and easy. IF for some reason you have bearing damage then you need a new pump. whether you cna run the boat with the current leak is up to you, it is highly situation-specific as "small leak" to you means something different to other people. If any more than a drip I'd be concerned. There is a big difference between a drip and stream though. Good luck.

easiest fix is to replace the seal in the back of the pump. It's cheap and easy. IF for some reason you have bearing damage then you need a new pump. whether you cna run the boat with the current leak is up to you, it is highly situation-specific as "small leak" to you means something different to other people. If any more than a drip I'd be concerned. There is a big difference between a drip and stream though. Good luck.

It is just a 1 drop drip probably every second, 2 times a second at speed it seems. Bearing failure with weep hole would make sense, The boat runs and cools and I have 2 hours to decide whether or not to go buy the replacement pump before they close for the weekend.

Would 30 seconds of spinning with the shaft cause bearing failure?

It does seem to be holding temperature though I'm either looking for reassurance to run it for forth of july or get in my car and haul a** to buy the replacement pump?

How hard is it to change, Ive never had to screw with the raw water pump before

Its definitely not a stream, at least not yet, and I looked at it all the way to 3800 rpm? didnt wanna go more on a fake a lake

It is just a 1 drop drip probably every second, 2 times a second at speed it seems. Bearing failure with weep hole would make sense, The boat runs and cools and I have 2 hours to decide whether or not to go buy the replacement pump before they close for the weekend.

Would 30 seconds of spinning with the shaft cause bearing failure?

It does seem to be holding temperature though I'm either looking for reassurance to run it for forth of july or get in my car and haul a** to buy the replacement pump?

How hard is it to change, Ive never had to screw with the raw water pump before

Neither have I, I was just regurgitating would I've read in the past. I can't reassure you, sorry, I'd haul a$$ if you still have time.