Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat buddy - use or not use

bamabonners

I like the idea of the boat buddy, but it looks like it would scratch the boat. Anybody here have any reviews of it? I have a new one in the garage that was given to me, but I can't decide if I want to put it on.

Edited by bamabonners

I love the convenience of it, but I have had bad luck with it. I had one break on my '07 trailer and Boatmate reluctantly replaced it. I had one on my '09 and the mounting bracket was not right on it. The steel from the trailer on the mounting bracket started wearing through the rubber of the Boat Buddy and then of course the steel started scratching the hull. This time, Boatmate really gave me a hard time and wanted me to send an absurd amount of pics and measurements. After several back and forths where I gave them pics of the trailer, hull and Boat Buddy, they continued to give me a run around, so I just fixed the gel coat myself and put a roller back on.

The rubber itself won't harm the hull ... it might leave a small scuff mark here and there, but they easily wax off. I would recommend trying it out and seeing if it mounts cleanly on your trailer, and keeping a close eye on any wear points.

They are easy enough to take on and off.

Had one on my MC & it was great. They are definitely delicate though. Loading with a little finesse will lengthen it's lifespan. And unlock the pin when your driving around on the road...... Kodiak told me that the pin has a tendency to bend if the boat & trailer go over a big bump while it's locked.

Smear a little fiberglass wax on it once in a while & whatever marks it leaves on the boat will just wipe right off. :rockon:

Had one on my MC & it was great. They are definitely delicate though. Loading with a little finesse will lengthen it's lifespan. And unlock the pin when your driving around on the road...... Kodiak told me that the pin has a tendency to bend if the boat & trailer go over a big bump while it's locked.

Smear a little fiberglass wax on it once in a while & whatever marks it leaves on the boat will just wipe right off. :rockon:

Not a big fan myself. I've had two, the first one ended up wearing through the plastic, and scratching the hull, the next one was on my current boat, and as soon as it started making marks, I pulled it and went back to a roller. Roller is really easy, and no fuss on marking the boat. Can't go wrong.

For me the idea of the boat buddy was good in that it would make solo trailering easier. However, with the roller, I just power the but up to the roller, and leave the prop spinnig for a few seconds while I run up to the bow, and clip the latch on the roller strap. Then come back, and turn off the boat. Easy peasy...

-Keith

I just power the but up to the roller, and leave the prop spinnig for a few seconds while I run up to the bow, and clip the latch on the roller strap. Then come back, and turn off the boat. Easy peasy...

-Keith

All true.... if it were legal to power load. Which it's not here because of the damage it does to the ramp. Plus if you use a bow cover, you have to remove it at least 1/2 way to get to the bow. Hopefully you don't damage your prop on the prop guard doing that either.... haven't done it myself but have seen it done a few times.

Never had any problem with the Boat Buddy because we were not hitting it so hard. We put the trailer in so the fenders are just barely under water. Pull the boat up till it centers itself. Then back in a bit further so the boat can be driven into the Buddy till it clicked. No one even gets out of their seat. Any easier & you'd be watchin it on TV.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

All true.... if it were legal to power load. Which it's not here because of the damage it does to the ramp.

really? is it a private ramp? just never heard of that before

really? is it a private ramp? just never heard of that before

State run ramps.... Some county too. Spokane I know, but Stevens, & Pend O'Reille don't care.

http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/course/p2-4_trailering.htm

Our private ramp is just a sandy beach. Power loading makes a giant hole 25' off the shore & a giant prop eating hump about 40' out. :Doh:

State run ramps.... Some county too. Spokane I know, but Stevens, & Pend O'Reille don't care.

http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/course/p2-4_trailering.htm

Our private ramp is just a sandy beach. Power loading makes a giant hole 25' off the shore & a giant prop eating hump about 40' out. :Doh:

totally get the consequences - funny thing, I've watched the local constabulary load his sled up powering on the trailer....

I have a boatmate trailer. The boat buddy is scratching my gelcoat, but then again, the roller wasn't doing that great either. It's too soft and the boat was pushing against the metal. All of the scratches will buff out pretty easy.

I love the convenience so I wouldn't stop using it, but I do wish they would make them better. I don't know why they can't use a standard type roller on the outside with the latch in the middle.

My Boat Buddy is about 15 years old. It is on the third boat trailer I have owned. It does make marks on my hull but they rub off. My wife usually drives the boat onto the trailer, and she has hit the Boat Buddy a few times hard enough to bend the pin, then it binds. I take it apart, straighten the pin, and all is good again. I like the convenience it provides loading the boat.