Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Euro F3 Steering Problems

The steering on my Euro F3 has been stiff for years. This year, the first time out, the steering locked up. I was able to get it free and was able to limp it back to the trailer but I definitely have steering problems. I called Malibu for the part number for the cable and they referred me to the dealer. The dealer couldn't find the part number so that went to Malibu. Malibu replied that it was a 16 foot cable but it is no longer available. Malibu said that there is a replacement which includes the cable and rudder assembly for $545. YIKES! This much for a 1991 model? I disconnected the rudder from the cable and the steering is still stiff/locked. I'm pretty sure it's the cable (or steering wheel assembly)

Questions:

1. Does anybody know the part number for the original cable (to search for an original replacement)

2. How do I remove the cable from the steering wheel?

3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!!

If you search these forums you'll find the teleflex part number. Martinarcher will chime in, he replaced his on his Skier not too long ago.

Yes, I have searched...no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I didn't see part number??!?@!! I saw the attachment which showed cable lengths but no part numbers. Is that all that I need? Also, I've got a 91 Euro F3 which isn't listed. It shows a Euro Skiier and Euro Sunsetter, but I don't know if my boat is one of these or not...I bought it used so I don't know the pedigree.

If cable length is all I need, do they not make a 16' cable any more? The dealer told me that Malibu said it was 16'.

martinarcher

Call these guys and let them know you need a 16' cable and tell them what boat you have and they'll hook you up.

I know Teleflex makes your cable. You could inspect both ends of your existing cable and look up the proper cable on the Teleflex website based on the ends you have. I've only replaced the throttle cables (twice)...never the steering cable. The Setter still turns with one finger and I hope it stays that way!

Call these guys and let them know you need a 16' cable and tell them what boat you have and they'll hook you up.

I know Teleflex makes your cable. You could inspect both ends of your existing cable and look up the proper cable on the Teleflex website based on the ends you have. I've only replaced the throttle cables (twice)...never the steering cable. The Setter still turns with one finger and I hope it stays that way!

Thanks! The local dealer here may be trying to "earn" a few easy bucks. They told me that the steering cable for my boat had been discontinued and that I would have to buy a substitute cable and a rudder assembly. That just doesn't seem right.

martinarcher

Thanks! The local dealer here may be trying to "earn" a few easy bucks. They told me that the steering cable for my boat had been discontinued and that I would have to buy a substitute cable and a rudder assembly. That just doesn't seem right.

Yeah that's BS....no way you need a rudder assembly to replace a steering cable. Last time I checked it's pretty easy to remove the bolt that connects the tiller arm to the steering cable.

Yeah that's BS....no way you need a rudder assembly to replace a steering cable. Last time I checked it's pretty easy to remove the bolt that connects the tiller arm to the steering cable.

I totally agree. That's probably why the parts guy hasn't called me back after I asked him to get clarification from Malibu (he told me that's where the information came from).

• 11 years later...

I took my 1994 Malibu Sunsetter Euro F3 out the other day.  I just bought it in January, so I am working through making sure all systems are good.  I have had it out a few times just cruising the lake, and noticed there was some slight steering stiffness, but nothing too bad.  This day, I was pulling kids on tubes (2 tubes) and wakeboard, and had good tight turn to the right, but when pulling or at speed, was not able to turn left hardly at all (and the steering wheel would just spin with no stop).

is this a cable issue or steering wheel housing issue, or rudder issue?

first time boat owner!

35 minutes ago, TBoatman said:

I took my 1994 Malibu Sunsetter Euro F3 out the other day.  I just bought it in January, so I am working through making sure all systems are good.  I have had it out a few times just cruising the lake, and noticed there was some slight steering stiffness, but nothing too bad.  This day, I was pulling kids on tubes (2 tubes) and wakeboard, and had good tight turn to the right, but when pulling or at speed, was not able to turn left hardly at all (and the steering wheel would just spin with no stop).

is this a cable issue or steering wheel housing issue, or rudder issue?

first time boat owner!

You will have to do more work to know what is wrong.  I would disconnect the rudder and check for smooth motion, then remove the cable from the helm and inspect each for damage. 

My guess is that the cable is bad, but you may have helm damage as well.  A rack and pinion is easier to inspect, but you may have a rotary helm.