Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speaker Cloth Repair

Dave SML VA

I have a 98 Response and this boat has cloth covering the rear speakers. Mine have a few holes in the cloth. Has anyone found a easy way to cover the speakers that don't call for removal of the speakers?

May pull them out this winter but, was hopeful there is a cosmetic fix for the ugly holes.

Thanks

Edited by Dave SML VA

I have a 98 Response and this boat has cloth covering the rear speakers. Mine have a few holes in the cloth. Has anyone found a easy way to cover the speakers that don't call for removal of the speakers?

May pull them out this winter but, was hopeful there is a cosmetic fix for the ugly holes.

Thanks

I haven't done mine but I seem to think that you gain access by removing panel and then access speaker from the rear which would allow you to replace cloth upon reinstallation.

I'd like to see a pic of that. Are the screws exposed, or hidden under the cloth?

If the screws are hidden or mounted from the back the only way to fix it without removing the speakers is to go to your local car audio shop and buy some new grille cloth. And I mean a shop that actually does some custom work, not a big box store. Use a tuck tool to push it in behind the grille. It may eventually fall back out on you depending on how the original design works.

http://www.autoseatskins.com/upholstery-tucking-tool-p/tucktool.htm

If the screws are exposed it would be far easier and a better finished product to remove them, redo the cloth, and reinstall.

Otherwise if the actual grille of the speaker looks good just use that without the cloth. Lots of options.

Edited by jk13

Parts Express speaker cloth

Simply remove the grills, clean thoroughly, use a bit of 3M spray adhesive to lightly coat the edges of the grill and stretch the material over the grill.

If you wrap the material around a small dowel rod to use as pull handle it will help get uniform tension on the cloth. After drying simply use an exacto

knife to trim excess cloth.

That looks like great cloth to use but I don't think people who haven't seen that era speker design can picture it well. It is nothing like the modern mount. I'll take some pics tonight of mine.

You'll have to pull the bolster off to gain access as the cloth is stapled from behind.

Not really a big deal, just some 7/16" nuts and a little reaching, then just get some new cloth and staple it up.