Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

safe to crank engine out of water

scott_fx

Hey guys,

after a big ordeal with a botched upholstery job, my boat is ready to hit the water. we are going to lake mojave for our usual 4th of july houseboat trip. since i haven't gotten it to a local lake to blow out the cobwebs, i am just anxious that something will go wrong... like the engine not starting. Will there be any harm if i quickly crank the engine till it turns over while on the trailer? i know it wont get hot enough to do any damage, im just worried about the impeller. again.. this isn't for any diagnostics... just to see if it will start.

I would go get a fake a lake but i wont be able to get to the boat shop during business hours.

thanks in advance

Depends on how long it has been sitting and how old the impeller is (condition), if the impeller is really dry it can damage the rubber impeller blades.

Can you get to the front cap on the impeller to add some water in there? On the DD I can get the cover off in less than 2 minutes and if I just wanted to turn the engine over then I could add water right into the impeller housing.

How far to the water source?

Got a toilet plunger around the house? If not, pick one up from the local hardware store, grab a couple hose fittings and make your own fake-lake.

I don't see a problem with just bumping it over to see if it would start. My preference, if it were my boat, would be to start it and let it warm up first, but you can only do safely if you're running water thru it.

the impeller was replaced last year when i had the boat summerized so i think it's in good shape.

i think i can get to the impeller to add water.. but it looked to me that it was horizontal. dont know how id add water and not just have it flow out?

nearest water source is 45 miles away in la traffic... so getting it dipped in the water before work wouldn't be possible

Got a toilet plunger around the house? If not, pick one up from the local hardware store, grab a couple hose fittings and make your own fake-lake.

I don't see a problem with just bumping it over to see if it would start. My preference, if it were my boat, would be to start it and let it warm up first, but you can only do safely if you're running water thru it.

ah, that is possible. i can stop by the hardware store today.

good suggestion

No way I'd make that long of a trip without knowing in advance that the boat is running good. :no: Pull the raw water hose off of the thru hull and attach a garden hose to it with Gorilla Tape™ or similar. Get a water source and bring that motor up to temp to be sure. I would definitely take a spare impeller.

ah, that is possible. i can stop by the hardware store today.

good suggestion

That or just start it in your driveway. Very low chance the impleller will get ruined in 5-10 seconds.

In order for the impellar to be damaged there would have to be no water in the cooling system. Assuming it is in fact dry, putting it in a lake is not going to fill the cooling system with water until after the boat is cranked and ran a short time.

Go for it.

I've never done it, but why not just pull the impeller and run "dry" for short time?

disclaimer: I have no idea whether that is OK or not so I assume no responsibility if in fact that's not a good idea, I'm just trying to find a way for you to start itwithout destroying impeller, especially if been dry for some time.

I never run dry! Half of the reason I run out of the water in the spring is to see the thermostat open and close and to be sure I have no leaks any hoses or anywhere.

I use a plunger and hose fittings. I watch oil pressure and voltage and just eye ball everything check the exhaust for water output.

Don't run it without water!!! I did the same, bumped, LITERALLY bumped it so that I could just hear it pop and 20 minutes later when I was about 500 yards past the no wake the impeller went... I wouldn't do it... If you do, take Norcalibu's advice and bring an extra impeller on your trip!

I've been doing it for years & never lost an impeller, even when I did it with the Johnson.

Now days I use the Globe "run dry" impeller that we get from D-Goose on this site. Their supposed to be good for 15 minutes of run dry time over the course of their lifetime. Last one I ran for almost 200 hrs without any issues..... and started the engine dry for a second or two probably 10 - 20 times over a couple years.

If it's that big a concern, then you have several suggestions. I have done like NorCalibu suggested.... pull the raw water hose & just push the garden hose inside it & start the engine.

I never run dry! Half of the reason I run out of the water in the spring is to see the thermostat open and close and to be sure I have no leaks any hoses or anywhere.

I use a plunger and hose fittings. I watch oil pressure and voltage and just eye ball everything check the exhaust for water output.

All true...not saying ideal but if op was lookibg to see if it would start and run it would at least save impeller.

After having the fake a lake move on me once, I take the free method, remove the intake hose and put the garden hose in it only take about 30 seconds and I know the water is going into the cooling system. Just another idea that won't cost you anything. I always run the boat and check things out before the first trip of the season.

I always bump the engine over and let it fire up before I hit the road, turn the key hear the vroom and then off.

Never had a problem and I've never been the jerk stuck on the ramp with a dead boat.

-Chris

I wouldn't see any problem with removing the impeller and running dry for a few seconds if you are worried about tearing up your impeller.

Does your boat have the water pump on a separate Belt?

Mine does, but it is an older model. If so just pull the belt and turn her over.

if the pump ins't turning no harm can be done.