Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Quit Middle of Ski Run!

Hello~

I've been searching the forum for a few hours, and reading up on some interesting posts. Seems like there are several issues similar to mine, which give me some ideas, but I don't know how to go about checking things...

I took boat ('04 Response LXi with Monsoon) out for an early morning run...got off the trailer, across the lake just fine (maybe 5 or 10 minutes of running). I hopped in the water, boat got up to speed, then just died. Now I can't get it restarted. The boat will crank, just won't fire. Usually, fires on like the 3rd crank, no issues.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1) Checked, double checked, and triple checked lanyard. Took lanyard off to make sure the dash wouldn't light up. It didn't. Put it back on, dash initializes like normal.

2) Checked to make sure I was in neutral. Took boat out of neutral to see if it would crank. It didn't. Back into neutral, cranks just fine.

3) Checked circuit panel by driver's right hip...nothing sticking out. Pressed all the buttons for good measure. Nothing happened. All accessories, dash, and perfect pass appear to be working properly.

4) Master circuit breaker on rear right of engine (I assume that's the big red button on rear right as you're facing forward) can't be pressed in, so i assume it hasn't blown.

5) Unscrewed a couple spark plugs after cranking...they had gas on them. I can also hear the fuel pump pressurize as you turn the key to on, but don't crank. So, I don't think it's the fuel pump.

6) Held the plug against motor mount to see if it would spark while cranking...nothing that i can see or hear. I did this in the shade, and at again just a few minutes ago (it's almost dark). So, I'm thinking the problem has to be it's not getting a spark...but why?

Things I've read to try, but don't know how to check:

1) The distributor cap - is that the thing where all the spark plug wires go? Do you have to take all those wires off? How do you get the cap off?

2) The ignition control module - where is that, and what can i do to check it?

3) Fuel filters - seems strange that these would be an issue, as there is gas getting to plugs. How do you check this anyways? Any considerations, or things to worry about?

4) Main Bus? - I think this is the thing that the battery wires go to? How do you check this? There seems to be a small button or something on the backside, but i can't get my head in far enough to see it. What should i be looking for there?

5) Some sort of electrical plugs around the engine...don't know where to begin. All connections to any plug i can reach appears to be tight.

Kinda stumped...let me know what ideas you have, or pointers you have for checking out those other things! Thanks!

Edited by ski38off

Has the boat been running perfectly all spring? Any recent service? Have you ever changed your distributor cap?

Edited by eyepeeler

The distributor cap is held on by two small screws (they are captive so don't worry about them falling out once loosened). A sudden failure is more likely to be the coil or the ICM. Remove the wire at the distributor that comes from the coil and check it the same way that you checked the plugs wires for spark (or just hold the metal end and crank the engine :whistle: ). :biggrin: If no spark coming from the coil, check to see if there's juice going in. If nothing going in then it could be your ignition control module (ICM).

Edited by NorCaliBu

Thanks for the quick responses!

The boat ran perfectly all spring. I just purchased it in April, and immidiately after, had it tuned up, oil changed, etc. Absolutely no issues until this point.

No sputtering before it died...just stopped going, at least that's what I've been told (I was skiing)

Took the center wire off the distributor, and tested it. Nothing. How do I test to see if anything is going into the coil? There doesn't seem to be the same kind of plug/wire.

martinarcher

Thanks for the quick responses!

The boat ran perfectly all spring. I just purchased it in April, and immidiately after, had it tuned up, oil changed, etc. Absolutely no issues until this point.

No sputtering before it died...just stopped going, at least that's what I've been told (I was skiing)

Took the center wire off the distributor, and tested it. Nothing. How do I test to see if anything is going into the coil? There doesn't seem to be the same kind of plug/wire.

How did you test it?

You can use a multimeter to test if there is +12VDC across the coil input leads when the key on the boat is in the "run" position.

How did you test it?

You can use a multimeter to test if there is +12VDC across the coil input leads when the key on the boat is in the "run" position.

I pulled out a spark plug, took the wire that goes to the center of the distributor cap off, put the plug into it, and held that against a bare bolt. Then I turned the key looking for a spark. There were no sparks.

Is a miltimeter one of those two-pringed thingys with metal tips? I think i have one of those, but i don't think it tells me the voltage going across...

same thing happened to me last summer and it wound up being the ICM which on my boat is located right below the distributor cap and controls the spark. If the ICM fails you'll get no spark and the engine will not fire, frustrating when you're 20 miles up river from your trailer. My replacement ICM ran 175.00 at my local boat shop

My memory is failing me right now but pretty sure one the three relays by the ECM controls ignition, but not sure if this condition is indicative of a bad relay. But for the two seconds its takes switch them around and see if anything changes.

There is a diagnostic test you can do on the coil and ICM but you'll need the clymar or shop manual to do it.

-Chris

definately would look into the ICM--ignition control module. This definately has the symptons to be the cause. Really easy swap out. think there is only 2 small screws to remove.

I had this same thing happen to me 2 weeks ago.

When you turn the key do you hear the fuel pump prime itself? I had a bad connection on my fuel pump and had to replace the plug.

If you do not hear the fuel pump prime, then take a test light to the plug to make sure that there is power getting to the plug. There should be about a 3 second prime period once you turn the key to the on position.

martinarcher

I had this same thing happen to me 2 weeks ago.

When you turn the key do you hear the fuel pump prime itself? I had a bad connection on my fuel pump and had to replace the plug.

If you do not hear the fuel pump prime, then take a test light to the plug to make sure that there is power getting to the plug. There should be about a 3 second prime period once you turn the key to the on position.

See #5 in his initial post. Whistling.gif

martinarcher

I pulled out a spark plug, took the wire that goes to the center of the distributor cap off, put the plug into it, and held that against a bare bolt. Then I turned the key looking for a spark. There were no sparks.

Is a miltimeter one of those two-pringed thingys with metal tips? I think i have one of those, but i don't think it tells me the voltage going across...

Here's when a multimeter is. Fluke is one of the biggest and best brands out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd let you all know what it was, in case others are searching for similar issues...turned out to be the ICM.

Given my service experience, I'll certainly be trying future repairs myself...I called a nearby dealer to see if they had the parts I would need. Service manager told me he thought it was the ICM but couldn't be sure without diagnosing it, and straight up told me he had the part. He basically convinced me to bring it in saying he'd have it done in a day or two, and that I'd save money by not replacing something I didn't need to. Frustrated that my awesome morning ski was interrupted, and because I didn't think I had the right tools to properly diagnose the issue, I took it to the shop. What a mistake! The boat came back a week and a half later (instead of the 2 days they promised), and was filthy! You'd think a dealer would take care of the boats as well as the customer does, most times better...

Anyways, cleaned up, running, and back on the water. Thanks for all your help. I learned a ton for the future!