Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

More Questions

FXIGUY

We use our FXI as a ski/tube/cruise boat and haven't done much with the factory ballast since I've owned the boat. My wife wants to try surfing(even with a rope...not planning to add any additional fat sacs for a huge wake) Will the ballast pump shut off on it's own when the tank is full and also ...will it shut off on its own when emptying? Or is this something I need to watch and do manually?

Also, my gas tank is supposedly 46 gallons. At roughly 4 bucks a gallon it should cost me around 186 bucks to fill it from empty....from 1/8th of a tank to full has never cost me more than 85.00....are these gauges pretty far off typically?

And last....sometimes my temp gauge fluctuates from 160 to 170 and then backs down to about 150 before returning to 160....again....goofy gauge... or possibly thermostat?

Thanks!

We use our FXI as a ski/tube/cruise boat and haven't done much with the factory ballast since I've owned the boat. My wife wants to try surfing(even with a rope...not planning to add any additional fat sacs for a huge wake) Will the ballast pump shut off on it's own when the tank is full and also ...will it shut off on its own when emptying? Or is this something I need to watch and do manually?

Also, my gas tank is supposedly 46 gallons. At roughly 4 bucks a gallon it should cost me around 186 bucks to fill it from empty....from 1/8th of a tank to full has never cost me more than 85.00....are these gauges pretty far off typically?

And last....sometimes my temp gauge fluctuates from 160 to 170 and then backs down to about 150 before returning to 160....again....goofy gauge... or possibly thermostat?

Thanks!

manually

they lie at the bottom end but each fuel tank design has its idiosyncrasies

probably nothing. These boats rely on a irregular water flow related to engine speed so a little variation not a biggie but could suggest you have a blackage somewhere with old impeller bits or lake plants. If, for example, you run a high speed run then shut off for five mins then retstart, it's not uncommon to show a little hot since there was no water flow cooling after a very heat-generating run.

When the ballast tanks get full, water will start coming out of the vent hole in the sides of the boat (similar to what your bilge pump does). If you're sitting still with the engine off you will be able to hear it.

When emptying, the same pouring out the side will happen until it's empty. When it stops peeing out the side, then you know you're empty. The ballast pumps can run dry for a little while, but try not to leave them on too long without water flowing.

I can't say anything for your specific boat on the fuel, but my boat is not off by 50%

My 06 holds at 158 degrees to 162 degrees no matter what. I would check the trans cooler for pieces of an old impeller or change out your T stat.