Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'97 Response.....what "doesnt" it do well??

flattracker60

My ski buddy has a Response and it is great boat. We have used portable jump seats when there are a lot of people. These are used to sit next to the engine and face backwards while staying clear of the rope. Having a closed bow would be nice to store all your equipment. I have a 1998 Sportster with an open bow and it is very rare that anybody ever sits ups there. I actually wish I had a closed bow. I will say that my Sportster has a better wake for barefooting than my buddy's Response with a Scarpa plate. A better yet barefooting wake is my neighbor's outboard Sanger Barefoot boat. Don't get me wrong, the Response is still a great barefooting boat, but there are better options for that, although I doubt you would care about that.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flattracker60

• 85 Barefoot

• Levi900RR

• windy1

Sunsetter.

2 kids x freinds = full boat in a hurry. I would prefer a V for the wake but actually prefer the sunsetter layout with a seat way in the back. my 15 year old is doing front and back inverts with just a wedge no problem.

I guess "ideally", a Sunsetter might be the best choice, but the one thing stopping me is finding one.

I actually like the closed bow for storage. I talked to the previous owner that trade this Response (on a new Response).......he would have prefered the closed bow, but "they dont make 'em anymore".

I'm gonna look hard for a few weeks......if nothing surfaces, maybe I'll pull the trigger on the Response.

I have loved my 98 Response. Six people is the max on the boat so that does limit how many can come with you. I have a home on the lake and a Bennington pontoon so if a big group comes down we anchor the Bennington and switch out our skiers. I will say with the Wedge it does do fine as a good wake board boat and with adding a tower the seating works well when wake boarding. I haven't had a wake boarder yet that needed more wake than I was able to produce. The Response as a ski boat can't be beat. I just love the sportscar feel while driving the Response. The open bow is nice but, it is small and allows water in if a wave breaks over the bow.

If you go to the lake get in your boat spend all day with lots of friends and don't have a dock or other boat as a home base then the Response may not be for you. Rarely if ever is that the case for me so I am happy to have such an inexpensive fun ski boat.... (for about the price of a Jet Ski)

Like all things in life there are trade offs.

I guess "ideally", a Sunsetter might be the best choice, but the one thing stopping me is finding one.

I actually like the closed bow for storage. I talked to the previous owner that trade this Response (on a new Response).......he would have prefered the closed bow, but "they dont make 'em anymore".

I'm gonna look hard for a few weeks......if nothing surfaces, maybe I'll pull the trigger on the Response.

I agree as to storage. The closed bow arguably provides more gear storage. you can easily put skis and boards in bow whereas in a sunsetter they'd be all over the floor.

shhhh...don't tell your buddy he got bad info. they absolutely still make the closed bow response.

I can't seem to post a link but the Oklahoma City craigs list has a 97 sunsetter for $14,900 with all the options and 460 hours. looks nice

Sunsetter LXI is very roomy and has lots of storage. You will want to get an open bow for sure otherwise when skiing unless people are laying on the floor you have 2 in the spotter seat 1 driver and 1 on the skis MAX 4 people in seats. You can easily have 5 in the boat to 6 in the boat on a Sunsetter LXI and one on the skis makes 7. We love our boat and it has plenty of room for 8 to 9 in the boat when not skiing or using the middle pylon. Ideally look for one with the wedge and tower as these are pricey add ons and the Monsoon is a great engine.

Getting back to the question you asked about a boat and if you have had I/Os in the past then you should know there plus's and minus's. I would say if you look at everything right now the only things that are selling are ski boats. I/Os are selling but they have to lower the price in order to sell. If you buy a 10 year old Malibu in good condition, there is a good chance you could keep it a few years and sell it for the same amount you paid given you obtain for a good price.

I ski behind a response and a wake setter vtx regularly, the wake is a little better behind the response, but it's not a big difference. Also, the vtx handles awesome - I don't notice a difference in handling between the two. The VTX can do everything and do it well, unless you are a very seruious skier go for a v drive.

I ski behind a response and a wake setter vtx regularly, the wake is a little better behind the response, but it's not a big difference. Also, the vtx handles awesome - I don't notice a difference in handling between the two.

That is definitely a matter of opinion.

I regularly ski behind a couple of Sportsters, a Response, a CC 196, and a MC P/S 190. These boats are all very close in wake characteristics. I have also skied behind a VTX w/ the cut diamond hull and while the wake is impressive when you take into consideration that it's a v-drive, it is by no means comparable to a top level direct drive. :no:

... go for a v drive.

Ever try to find a VTX for less than $20,000.00? :crazy:

I agree with Norcalibu. As a VTX is an outstanding boat that can do a lot of things, its not fair to compare it to a Tournament level direct drive.

My opinion: You can get a Porsche Cayenne that has plenty of performance for most people, but its no 911 on the track (slalom course)

If your boat is full of people attach the roap to the back of the boat instead of the pylon. If the boats that full I doubt it's with people who need the rope on the pylon anyway.

Where is this? It's pretty much what I'm looking for. If you don't or didn't buy it, I may be interested.

I supose I could share the specs and the price......you guys tell me if its fair.

97 Response, 220 (or so) hours. I know the previous owner, the hours are acurate. $12500. The only thing I'm not sure is, all the other ads I read, the boats have showers, ballas, heat, etc. This one doesnt.

Good 1st boat? Price fair? keep looking?

Thanks again.

Oh yea, the pic....LOL.

vp2082678_3_large.jpg

I looked for a Sunsetter in my price range, and vicinity so I could test ride it for almost two years.

Found it. High hours, above average shape for it's year and hours. My sister has a closed bow Mastercraft. No question, mine has more storage space. Almost equivalent wake.

My $.02, Sunsetter, when you find the right deal. The one you posted above looks good to me from the pic.

Best of luck,

Steve B.

I looked for a Sunsetter in my price range, and vicinity so I could test ride it for almost two years.

Found it. High hours, above average shape for it's year and hours. My sister has a closed bow Mastercraft. No question, mine has more storage space. Almost equivalent wake. My $.02, Sunsetter, when you find the right deal. The one you posted above looks good to me from the pic.

Best of luck,

Steve B.

So if you go out with 4 people with gear where exactly are you storing everything on your sunsetter? The floor, correct? I think the points being made as to storage with the closed bows was that big items like skis and boards go in the bow and thus feels like plenty of storage.

I regularly use my "trunk" behind the stern seat back. It currently has 2 skis, rope, shock protector, gloves, and 2 vests and there's room for more. The only thing that would get stored on the floor of my sunsetter would be a cooler.

combo skies in floor loocker, slolom and wake skate in side pockets, wakeboards on the racks, jackets and ropes behind the rear seat, biult in cooler under the rear facing seat, plenty of left over storage behind the rear facing seat. If we need more we pile it up front just like a closed bow.

combo skies in floor loocker, slolom and wake skate in side pockets, wakeboards on the racks, jackets and ropes behind the rear seat, biult in cooler under the rear facing seat, plenty of left over storage behind the rear facing seat. If we need more we pile it up front just like a closed bow.

apples to apples, without a tower. I'm just sayin' those things would otherwise be on the floor whereas the response allows him to put "full size" gear in the bow. It's all good.

Ok, couple more questions guys.

If I buy this Response, it sounds like I "may" want to ad some things. So, I want to see if I should ad the options to this boat, OR, just buy a boat with the stuff.

Ballpark pricing here, how much for........

1) tower

2) Wedge

3) warm water shower (took kids knee boarding today, they were COLD coming out of water).

On a side note, my 6 (7 in Nov) yo daughter deep wayer started on the knee board and was spinning backwards in 5 minutes!!! They LOVED it. You should have seen my wife tring to spot from the front of my fishing boat, while I tried to see where I was going........what a mess.......LOL.

Ok, couple more questions guys.

If I buy this Response, it sounds like I "may" want to ad some things. So, I want to see if I should ad the options to this boat, OR, just buy a boat with the stuff.

Ballpark pricing here, how much for........

1) tower

2) Wedge

3) warm water shower (took kids knee boarding today, they were COLD coming out of water).

On a side note, my 6 (7 in Nov) yo daughter deep wayer started on the knee board and was spinning backwards in 5 minutes!!! They LOVED it. You should have seen my wife tring to spot from the front of my fishing boat, while I tried to see where I was going........what a mess.......LOL.

$1,000-$2,500 depending on model and who installs

talk to dealer about their labor. you could do it, but it's a job getting to transon in response

if dealer, probably $300 installed but you could do it. I'd suggest heater before shower in my experience however. good luck.