Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'97 Response.....what "doesnt" it do well??

flattracker60

1st post here.

I have a 12 and a 7 year old that I took tubing. Well, they're hooked! I know they would love to ski and knee board. I have had many boats (now 42yo), but never a true ski boat.

I have a new fishing boat, and have just enough room for 1 more boat in the 30x50. ;)

I found a super clean (240 hours), 97 Response (closed bow). I drove the boat.......drove nice (other then not being able to turn in reverse.....LOL.....anyway).

Would I be better off with a Glastron type boat (had one, was ok)? I like the idea of having all that power (320?....efi Monsoon), and have always wanted a ski boat. My fear is the lack of space. The kids are small (there will hardly ever be 4 adults, mostly me, wife and 2 kids), but they're really isnt a lot of room. I dont live on the lake, so I cant leave all my "stuff" on shore.

Just looking for advice on the boat. The price is fair, the boat is clean, I just dont wanna but the worng boat.

So......what wont, or doesnt this boat do well? This would be my/our 1st ski boat...........I can spend more, should I, or do I NEED to??

PS.......I dont "think" we;re gonna wake board.........just skiing, tubing and knee boarding.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flattracker60

• 85 Barefoot

• Levi900RR

• windy1

I supose I could share the specs and the price......you guys tell me if its fair.

97 Response, 220 (or so) hours. I know the previous owner, the hours are acurate. $12500. The only thing I'm not sure is, all the other ads I read, the boats have showers, ballas, heat, etc. This one doesnt.

Good 1st boat? Price fair? keep looking?

Thanks again.

Oh yea, the pic....LOL.

vp2082678_3_large.jpg

Edited by flattracker60

My first response is hold out for a V drive... Sounds like your family would fill that closed bow up pretty fast. Also, that Response was engineered to do one thing and one thing only, run the slalom course. If your kids want any wake at all for Wakeboarding / surfing / kneeboarding or even tubing your going to be fighting an uphill battle with that Response.

Just my two cents as I have a closed bow Skier and wish I had a 98 Sunsetter...

EDIT: Unless you are a die hard Skier, than you are gonna hate the wake behind anything else :crazy:

Edited by Levi900RR

All depends on what you want. heaters and showers are always addable. 220 hours is low and that's a pretty boat. I like. Price seems fair to both. I wouldn't say smoking deal for either "side".

My first response is hold out for a V drive... Sounds like your family would fill that closed bow up pretty fast. Also, that Response was engineered to do one thing and one thing only, run the slalom course. If your kids want any wake at all for Wakeboarding / surfing / kneeboarding or even tubing your going to be fighting an uphill battle with that Response.

EDIT: Unless you are a die hard Skier, than you are gonna hate the wake behind anything else :crazy:

I tend to agree with Levi. A v-drive is not a requirement in your situation however depending on what you wish to spend, it could be beneficial. I have a direct drive sunsetter that is much larger than that response you posted and the space advantage is huge. It's a good all around boat for not a whole lot of dough.

Let me ad this then (to the v-drive coment).....what if I want to spend $15000 or under? Then a v-drive is kinda out of the picture, right? Seems most v-drives are spendy.

I did look at a Sunsetter. It DID have more room, but was still mid engine.

Just looking to educate myself a bit here........the Sunsetter is the next biggest boat from the Response? Bigger wake? Open bow?

Thanks for the quick "responses".......LOL.

The 97 repsonse has the sv23 "wake" hull. You'd be surprised at that wake with a little weight. Several Malibu riders had that in 2006 and 7 (same hull) (Mike Weddington Jeff Heer Andrea Gaytan, etc.). Wakes on that boat should not be holding anyone back from well-into-intermediate progression. And by that, I mean 5-8 inverts and some spins.

Let me ad this then (to the v-drive coment).....what if I want to spend $15000 or under? Then a v-drive is kinda out of the picture, right? Seems most v-drives are spendy.

Just looking to educate myself a bit here........the Sunsetter is the next biggest boat from the Response? Bigger wake? Open bow?

it is bigger yes...same hull design...on that year response, the sunsetters will have slightly bigger wake, but alos give back some ski wake though.

I think... if you aren't in a hurry you can find a nicely equipped SSVLX (V drive) for between 15-20K. I also agree that a Sunsetter Direct Drive would be great. I honestly just think the Response will be too small for you with 2 kids + wife + friends + stuff...

The 97 repsonse has the sv23 "wake" hull. You'd be surprised at that wake with a little weight. Several Malibu riders had that in 2006 and 7 (same hull) (Mike Weddington Jeff Heer Andrea Gaytan, etc.). Wakes on that boat should not be holding anyone back from well-into-intermediate progression. And by that, I mean 5-8 inverts and some spins.

This is 100% accurate. I have even seen back rolls and tantrums behind my Skier with no added ballast. I just feel like unless you are an avid Skier you might be better off with more of a crossover boat.

Edited by Levi900RR

If the Sunsetter has a decent trailer and is in good shape in person, that is one I would jump on. Great price for a 97, especially in our area. My family actually likes our DD open bow. We have three distinct seating areas and can converse in all or have our privacy if needed. 13yo son and friend in the back, wife and I in the middle, 8yo daughter and friend in the bow. Works awesome for us. We would love the added space and storage of the Sunsetter.

I think... if you aren't in a hurry you can find a nicely equipped SSVLX (V drive) for between 15-20K. I also agree that a Sunsetter Direct Drive would be great. I honestly just think the Response will be too small for you with 2 kids + wife + friends + stuff...

This is 100% accurate. I have even seen back rolls and tantrums behind my Skier with no added ballast. I just feel like unless you are an avid Skier you might be better off with more of a crossover boat.

Levi, name me a couple (if you would please) "crossover boats". Remember, I'm new (dumb) here......LOL.

Thanks.

If the Sunsetter has a decent trailer and is in good shape in person, that is one I would jump on. Great price for a 97, especially in our area. My family actually likes our DD open bow. We have three distinct seating areas and can converse in all or have our privacy if needed. 13yo son and friend in the back, wife and I in the middle, 8yo daughter and friend in the bow. Works awesome for us. We would love the added space and storage of the Sunsetter.

JK......the boat was just average imo. Fair amount of dings, scrapes, etc. I'm just too picky, and 1/2 the fun for me is looking at the stuff! ;)

JK......the boat was just average imo. Fair amount of dings, scrapes, etc. I'm just too picky, and 1/2 the fun for me is looking at the stuff! ;)

I was going to say I agree with JK. I got a deal similar on my '97 SSLX but it was super clean. All original vinyl with no rips, tears, or stains. No carpet stains. Spottless bilge, etc. I put a little elbow grease into the gel coat (polish and wax) and it's looking pretty damn good now. Like others have said, it's a great boat for the money. If you're super picky, you will have to look at a higher price range.

Edited by inlandlaker

Levi, name me a couple (if you would please) "crossover boats". Remember, I'm new (dumb) here......LOL.

Thanks.

There are some other members on here that are WAY more farmilliar with the Malibu line up than I am and hopefully they will chime in soon.

When I think Crossover Malibu I think Sunsetter, its really the do it all model that is also designed to be a family hang out boat as well as being a great tow boat. I think when you look at the Response (Ski) and Wakesetter (board) models they are more sport specific...

That being said, the Sunsetter turned into the Wakesetter.... I don't know what I'm talking about.

I would say anything with a real walk through open bow is going to be great for your family. When I say "real" open bow I am not reffering to the walk over open bows of the Sportster and Response. Both are smaller DD Ski boats.

I agree. Sunsetter would be a better option. Keep in mind though that you can convert a closed bow response to open. You still have the step over which isn't as nice as a walk through for the kids.

In my opinion, don't buy a closed bow boat unless you are a dedicated slalom skier. You will outgrow a Response quickly! If you want price to stay low, look for a Sunsetter. If you're willing to spend a little more, find an older V-drive.

Just my opinion...

This is just my $.02. We where in the same situation as you where 5 years ago. At the time my son was 10 and my daughter was 7. We where looking at the same style of boat. I was a true rookie in the performance boat market. A buddy talked me into passing on a response and holding out to find a VLX. For me little did I know that it was only a matter of time before my son and daughter would be having friends with them and I was glad that we where able to fit everyone. It might take a little looking and a little more more money but in the long run you will be happy with your decision. This past weekend we had my son age 15, two of his friends and my daughter age 12 with two of her friends my wife and I and hag plenty of room for gear and snacks for the day. Good luck on your decision :yahoo:

CB

1st post here.

I have a 12 and a 7 year old that I took tubing. Well, they're hooked! I know they would love to ski and knee board. I have had many boats (now 42yo), but never a true ski boat.

I have a new fishing boat, and have just enough room for 1 more boat in the 30x50. ;)

I found a super clean (240 hours), 97 Response (closed bow). I drove the boat.......drove nice (other then not being able to turn in reverse.....LOL.....anyway).

Would I be better off with a Glastron type boat (had one, was ok)? I like the idea of having all that power (320?....efi Monsoon), and have always wanted a ski boat. My fear is the lack of space. The kids are small (there will hardly ever be 4 adults, mostly me, wife and 2 kids), but they're really isnt a lot of room. I dont live on the lake, so I cant leave all my "stuff" on shore.

Just looking for advice on the boat. The price is fair, the boat is clean, I just dont wanna but the worng boat.

So......what wont, or doesnt this boat do well? This would be my/our 1st ski boat...........I can spend more, should I, or do I NEED to??

PS.......I dont "think" we;re gonna wake board.........just skiing, tubing and knee boarding.

Thanks in advance.

Depending on what "stuff" you need to talk along with you the response would be fine for being out on small lakes that dont get terribly ruff, in actuality a closed bow response will offer more cubic feet of storage than a comparably sized open bow. The ride will become wet and punishing if you are on a big body of water that gets ruff which wont be any fun for you or your passengers. It also will depend heavily on how many people are out with you if its 2 kids, your wife and yourself you will be fine, but if there is always 6+ people going out that will also necessitate a larger boat.

I am a skier who hates V-Drives for the most part just so you know my bias. For what its worth, you can always load a boat down if you want a bigger wake, but its tough to make it smaller. And nothing on the water handles like a direct drive with the center of gravity in the middle. Add the engine weight to the stern and it will handle like a pig comparatively. You might want to try the DD boat for a summer and see if you like it, and, if not, sell it and get a more expensive V-Drive later. My bet is you won't want to after you get used to the way a DD boat handles and feels from the driver's seat.

What does a Response do well: 1. ski wake (arguably one of the 3 best in the industry) 2. hold speed / drive great / handle like a 'vette 3. barefoot wake / speed 4. platform makes getting in/out of water much more pleasurable than an I/O, etc. 5. offer plenty of power to pull up (multiple) skiers / footers / etc.

What does a Response not do well: 1. hold a lot of people and gear 2. not a top notch wakeboard boat 3. handle rough water (harshness & low freeboard)

I would suggest prioritizing your activities and go from there. If a top notch ski wake is important, I would have a very hard time passing on that boat. It does sound like a better option would have an open bow for added seating capacity.

The only reason to get a closed bow is lack of money, or the need for no wake. Get an open bow if you can. Vdrives give you more room. And I'll bet you'll be surfing within one year!!! and i think most will agree a vdrive will have a better surf wake. Surf wake sizes are becoming very important.

You have a relatively small family, you're new to inboards, skiing is a priority. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a closed bow response for those needs. The storage is actually superior to open bow brethren. For decades closed bow inboards were the industry's standard and only configurations. Only once Vdrives started becoming more prevalent did people, comparatively speaking, feel closed bows were small. At some point as interests change might a bigger boat be better, sure, but not necessary. It does not take a vdrive to produce highly capable boardsport wakes, especially for kids. In my opinion, you're better off with everyone learning on smaller wakes as technique is important and they are far less intimidating. If I had a dollar for every vdrive on my lake that Daddy went out and bought thinking they were doing Junior a favor by getting a big vdrive with large wakes when the kid can't even jump the wake (and is scared to learn because it hucks them too hard) I wouldn't be hanging out here so much. :biggrin: When they're bigger and heavier, sure big wakes help and are more fun, but this was Malibu's team riders' boats in that era.