Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hamstring Injury

KSilva

Hey Everyone,

I was out on the lake fathers day weekend and took my last ride of the weekend on a wakeskate. I ended up with a pulled or torn hamstring.

How long am I looking before I can get back out on the water, its driving me crazy...

Thanks!

Kevin

Depending on the severity of the hamstring strain/tear it can be 10 weeks to 6 months. Make sure you get that thing looked at and follow rehab to a tee, starting too soon will only set you back. That stinks, a very painful injury.

Hey Everyone,

I was out on the lake fathers day weekend and took my last ride of the weekend on a wakeskate. I ended up with a pulled or torn hamstring.

How long am I looking before I can get back out on the water, its driving me crazy...

Thanks!

Kevin

Hamstring pulls suck and take some time. Best thing to do is ice the crap out of it. You on crutches or just limping?

Doing a google search on hamstring rehab will give you plenty of info.

When I pulled mine, I was quite surprised what I could and couldn't do. Contrary to what most believe, the hamstring isn't used a lot, but when it is, OUCH. I had a good chiropractor that would massage and use electronic stimulus. After 2 weeks I could two ski and do deep up barefooting. My injury was on my left left which I use on slalom as the front foot. Took almost a year before I couldn't feel any pain deep ups. Tried a step off on week 3 and hit a wave while still on ski. Guess what muscle is used? Lost a good week of rehab.

If your injury is bad enough, sitting will not be fun and driving a car over 30 minutes will suck. I felt my injury off an on for 2 years. Now I hardly feel it, 4th year.

One good exercise is sitting on a rolling chair. Extend leg fully out and on floor, roll yourself to your foot. Once I could do this on the bad leg, I was good for almost normal activity.

Good luck.

Dwight

Hamstring pulls suck and take some time. Best thing to do is ice the crap out of it. You on crutches or just limping?

When I pulled mine, I was quite surprised what I could and couldn't do. Contrary to what most believe, the hamstring isn't used a lot, but when it is, OUCH. I had a good chiropractor that would massage and use electronic stimulus. After 2 weeks I could two ski and do deep up barefooting. My injury was on my left left which I use on slalom as the front foot. Took almost a year before I couldn't feel any pain deep ups. Tried a step off on week 3 and hit a wave while still on ski. Guess what muscle is used? Lost a good week of rehab.

If your injury is bad enough, sitting will not be fun and driving a car over 30 minutes will suck. I felt my injury off an on for 2 years. Now I hardly feel it, 4th year.

One good exercise is sitting on a rolling chair. Extend leg fully out and on floor, roll yourself to your foot. Once I could do this on the bad leg, I was good for almost normal activity.

Good luck.

Dwight

Dwight,

It's very difficult to sit. Driving home from the lake with the boat killed me and its been the same since it happen. I went to Kaiser and the doc didn't do crap for me, other they told me to rest, Ice and Heat. I finally had enough and went to visit my Chiropractor. He too used to electronic stimulus and massage and I felt like a million bucks after, but now I have this pain in my knee... this sucks! lol... I can't win! lol

I will try out your exercise and hope for the best.

Thanks for the info.

Kevin

Dwight,

It's very difficult to sit. Driving home from the lake with the boat killed me and its been the same since it happen. I went to Kaiser and the doc didn't do crap for me, other they told me to rest, Ice and Heat. I finally had enough and went to visit my Chiropractor. He too used to electronic stimulus and massage and I felt like a million bucks after, but now I have this pain in my knee... this sucks! lol... I can't win! lol

I will try out your exercise and hope for the best.

Thanks for the info.

Kevin

If you knee hurts, it's due to a tight lower back and the hamstring. I'm guessing you have a high hamstring pull. Friend of mine pulled his a year later skiing and he had to have surgery to repair the 3 torn tendons. Needed an MRI to find it.

Lots of patience and ice. My chiro wanted to make a point with me on the first visit. He thought I would push it so he massaged it really hard. Almost sent me through the roof. I wanted to clock him, but he out weighed me by 100 lbs. :)

Next week will be fun for you. :) If walking is hard, crutches for a few days might help. I used them for a few days. A compression wrap will help too. It will become mandatory if you want to ski for the next year.

Good luck.

MalibuNation

Good luck.

Dwight

I did a killer face plant Memorial Day 2009 and it's still a little tender. Wish you better luck than me.

My foot dr. also told me to ice it ... but you want it cool, not cold so make sure there's padding between the ice and your hammy.

post-371-007445200 1309276952_thumb.gif

Go see a physiotherapist. Chiro's don't cut it and regular MD's will just tell you ice and rest without getting into the long term fix. A good sports physio will help you isolate, treat, strengthen and heal. Don't pass on some good accupuncture as well, it's been working for 1000's of years and for an injury like this it could be just what the "doctor" ordered. I skip doctors all together now and head straight to my physio for any sports related ailments.

"I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night".

......... use electronic stimulus.

I haven't had the thrill of this particular injury. But I have had other injuries that responded to electronic stimulus. And have had similar results using a TENS unit. Their not very expensive & a lot of different kinds of doctors & therapists will recommend them for a lot of injuries. I know from personal experience that mine will get me thru a work day without taking any drugs. :rockon:

Heres an example of one.

Good luck getting thru your rehab.