Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Packing replacement

So I just finished replacing the old wax packing with the new Gortex flavor from dim. I was doing the lake test and started getting paranoid. I tried to get the drip rate to 1 every ~10 seconds. I thought part of the drip was to keep the nut/shaft cool. I have a 1 7/8" singe on my hand now from [foolishly] grabbing the nut to see how hot it was.

I hand tightened both nuts -- and I didn't crank on them at all. I don't think it could be too tight.

Should the nut be cool to the touch? How do I *know* that I have the packing in there correctly and am not burning anything up? Or is my paranoia just running rampant?

I had a similar experience this weekend, I did not replace my packing but tried to tighten the packing nut (it was dripping in almost a continuous stream). I loosened the lock nut and snugged the packing nut down by hand maybe 1.5 turns it sitll did not feel "tight". I idled the boat out to the lake (15-20 min of canals) then ran a short distance at ~2000 rpm then check the nut. It was hot but I could still touch it and no drips. I started backing it off and could not get it back to a point where it was dripping so I re-set it back where it started. When I got back to the dock, the nut was cold but I could not really evaluate dripping as I cannot run in gear on the hoist. I will need to play with it more when I have more time but I am curious to hear other responses.

I went out this AM and did some more tweaking. I backed the nut all the way off, and started over. I ran for a few minutes, checked drip rate, and tweaked some more. Ultimately, I got to a point of little to no drip, and just warm to the touch. Definitely way cooler than the blister on my hand indicates from the original attempt.

Now on to replace the paddle wheel and impeller. Will I ever be done with maintenance? :)

We found it's best to do the initial run with the packing nuts loose so there is a pretty significant leak going on. Then tighten a little at a time, testing each time, till the leak is reduced to near nothing. If there is any question about how hot or cold the packing or shaft is, then maybe using one of those laser thermometer guns is a good idea. I've touched mine a few times & it was never that hot, a little warm maybe, but usually cool to the touch.

I don't have much to add to this topic other than that I tried to adjust with the home depot wrenches and got nothing but frustration. Spent the $60 for the two wrenches from bakes and it took all of 8 minutes to loosen, adjust, test, and fine tune. Those fancy wrenches are totally worth it imho.

I don't have much to add to this topic other than that I tried to adjust with the home depot wrenches and got nothing but frustration. Spent the $60 for the two wrenches from bakes and it took all of 8 minutes to loosen, adjust, test, and fine tune. Those fancy wrenches are totally worth it imho.

Are there two wrenches Bakes sells? I thought only one.

I got one of the wrenches. I tried the home depot under-sink wrenches and taught the kids a few choice words. I had to remove the tranny cooler hose and the ballast pump to break it loose the first time. All subsequent times adjusting has been by hand.

That's the exact method I used this AM Bill - worked great.

I got one of the wrenches. I tried the home depot under-sink wrenches and taught the kids a few choice words. I had to remove the tranny cooler hose and the ballast pump to break it loose the first time. All subsequent times adjusting has been by hand.

That's the exact method I used this AM Bill - worked great.

So the thin lock nut is only hand tight against the packing nut?