Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 23 XTI rear ballat

Malibuzer

I have a friend who has a 2005 23 xti and his starboard rear ballast fill pump won't run. I have checked the fuses and they are fine. Does anyone know where to find the fill pump. It sounds like the drain pump is under the rear seats. So I am assuming the drain pump is there as well? If anyone can give us a hand with some info that would be great.

Thanks crew

Trent

The tanks are located under the floor of the rear ski locker. The pumps are threaded directly into the tank. Getting them out is a pain, but it can be done. Start by taking out the two-piece slanted "wall". Then pull the floor out, and you will see the tanks. You have to maneuver them out past the fuel tank lines, blower ducts, and some wiring.

When I pulled mine, I cut the wires for the ballast pumps and put quick connectors on. It makes it a lot easier to un-thread the pumps out of the tanks before trying to remove them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Seth. Since it's not my boat and I can't get a look at it for a while. Would you have any pictures of it? This boat doesn't have a rear ski locker? All I can see is the ballast tanks when we remove the rear seat cushions. Are you talking about the rear storage on the top of the stern? I removed the two little cubbyholes and could not see them. I will. Head over to his house later and check it out.

Trent

Yeah, I'm talking about the stern storage area. I don't think I have any pictures of the step by step removal process, by I will try to get a couple this afternoon to get you pointed in the right direction.

Since my boat is a 2003, and the one in question is a 2005, maybe there is some differences. My fuel tank is under the rear seat cushion, not ballast. My ballast, as mentioned before, is under the stern locker, and actually sits a little below the fuel tank if I remember correctly.

Alright here are some pictures, they aren't the best but will give you an idea of how to access the tanks.

Start by taking out the small piece on the port side in the corner of the stern and gunnel

IMAG0275.jpg

If there is a piece on the starboard side, take it out too (mine doesn't have one)

IMAG0273.jpg

Then pull the two pieces that run the length of the beam of the boat. You will have to disconnect the shower if there is one.

IMAG0272.jpg

Once you get those out, the floor should just lift out. At least mine does....if there were screws securing it, they are missing :whistle:

Tanks should be right under there :rockon:

Alright here are some pictures, they aren't the best but will give you an idea of how to access the tanks.

Start by taking out the small piece on the port side in the corner of the stern and gunnel

IMAG0275.jpg

If there is a piece on the starboard side, take it out too (mine doesn't have one)

IMAG0273.jpg

Then pull the two pieces that run the length of the beam of the boat. You will have to disconnect the shower if there is one.

IMAG0272.jpg

Once you get those out, the floor should just lift out. At least mine does....if there were screws securing it, they are missing :whistle:

Tanks should be right under there :rockon:

Ouch, thats quitendifferentnthan their xti. That ski locker is huge. I wil try and take some pictures of it and show you what I mean.

Thanks a lot for trying to help!

Trent

I've never had problems with my pumps, so I've never gone looking for them, but my guess would be pull the floor up by removing the two screws at the rear corners of the floor. Once it lifts up, you'd have your best access to the pumps. Come to think of it, the fill pumps might be under the engine. Boat isn't very accessible right now so I can't tell you much, but the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure they are under the engine.

I've never had problems with my pumps, so I've never gone looking for them, but my guess would be pull the floor up by removing the two screws at the rear corners of the floor. Once it lifts up, you'd have your best access to the pumps. Come to think of it, the fill pumps might be under the engine. Boat isn't very accessible right now so I can't tell you much, but the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure they are under the engine.

I will check with them later today. Thanks Molarbu, how's the new addition doing?

I will check with them later today. Thanks Molarbu, how's the new addition doing?

Ahhhh.....you gave me a good excuse! Here you go! She's doing great, so far she's an easy baby. Her brother and sisters can't get enough of her.

post-2919-044043000 1309376790_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

We found the pumps and the fill pump was shot. For anyone wondering, they are located just in front of the engine under the floor. Not an easy place to get to.

We found the pumps and the fill pump was shot. For anyone wondering, they are located just in front of the engine under the floor. Not an easy place to get to.

Thanks for following up on the thread. I thought I remembered seeing them near the engine. Did you get it swapped out?