Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'12 Response

Jay1

So did they take width of the FXI and the length and freeboard from the LXI and merge the 2. Obviously a new mold, but is it the same cut diamond design?

Why change the name? Will they also sell the RLXi at the same time? Or are they just trying to make a bigger splash out of making some evolutionary changes? The pictures dont' show much difference that I can see- I've not ever been a big fan of the '07 and newer RLXi though and also haven't spent much time in or behind one... I do like that they went back to a regular style windshield and I can understand where it will make a difference to have it not sweep so far back - that will help more with getting in and out of a slip or dock than for use with a boom.

If they tweaked the wake to be better for the beginners and longer lines then it seems like they have come back to what they had with the '03-06 RLXi. Kids and longer line skiers loved that series of boat at tournaments.

In all, the big three are so far off of enticing me to pay money, any money for what they are offering. None of them have come up with anything that clearly does something better than my 03 RLXi. I'm glad it's only got 500 hrs on it and will last a lot longer.

Why change the name? Will they also sell the RLXi at the same time? Or are they just trying to make a bigger splash out of making some evolutionary changes? The pictures dont' show much difference that I can see- I've not ever been a big fan of the '07 and newer RLXi though and also haven't spent much time in or behind one... I do like that they went back to a regular style windshield and I can understand where it will make a difference to have it not sweep so far back - that will help more with getting in and out of a slip or dock than for use with a boom.

If they tweaked the wake to be better for the beginners and longer lines then it seems like they have come back to what they had with the '03-06 RLXi. Kids and longer line skiers loved that series of boat at tournaments.

In all, the big three are so far off of enticing me to pay money, any money for what they are offering. None of them have come up with anything that clearly does something better than my 03 RLXi. I'm glad it's only got 500 hrs on it and will last a lot longer.

:plus1:

I love my '11 RLXi and have also owned an '04 RLXi. I believe the '07-'11 RLXi is better in just about every way. We have Mastercraft promos and we have a CC 196 on our lake and I get ski time behind all 3 regularly and I always ski better behind the Response (not much, but a few buoys matter to me!)

I hope the '12 is even better, but after having an '02 (RLX), '03 (RLX), '04, '07, '08, '09, and an '11 with each one getting better and better, I am pretty confident that they are making the right changes with the '12.

I agree these boats are getting up in price, but it's all what its worth to you.

Edited by bbrandau

I love my '11 RLXi and have also owned an '04 RLXi. I believe the '07-'11 RLXi is better in just about every way. We have Mastercraft promos and we have a CC 196 on our lake and I get ski time behind all 3 regularly and I always ski better behind the Response (not much, but a few buoys matter to me!)

I hope the '12 is even better, but after having an '02 (RLX), '03 (RLX), '04, '07, '08, '09, and an '11 with each one getting better and better, I am pretty confident that they are making the right changes with the '12.

I agree these boats are getting up in price, but it's all what its worth to you.

That's great that people love their newer boats than their older boats. What does the '11 RLXi do better than your '04 RLXi- that's the part I just don't see or experience. I just recently skied my 03 RLXi and I have recently skied behind an '09 RLXi. My skiing was the same behind both boats and the '03 tracks better and is more responsive. The only thing that I understand that the '07-11 RLXi's have over the '03-06 version is resistance to taking water over the front. For $20K I can take a lot of water over the front and pay for gas.

But all this is really off track, I wanted to know why they changed the name?

I would guess that marketing changed the name, to more aptly notate that it's designed for the Tournament crowd, not the Luxury crowd. But I'm just guessing.

I loved the slalom wake behind the 03-06 RLXi, and in particular the wake for overall use - slalom, barefoot, wakeboard. And, it has great speed due to the hull.

The 07-up RLXi in my opinion handles better, turns harder as the bow digs in faster, takes no water over the bow in comparison, is quieter and has a MUCH MUCH nicer ride quality in any water rougher than glass. It's also slower, didn't have as nice a barefoot wake, and like the previous version throws it's spray a long ways out the side. But, the shorter windshield was much nicer, as was the overall boat.

The TXi is destined to be more of a skiers boat, as mentioned for the slower and longer line length skiers, and the tracking for the skiers. Current big tournaments will add substantial weight to the bow of existing boats to create better tracking at tournaments, and the reaction from a open division driver (when driving the TXi) that has pulled national records was that this boat tracks so good they don't expect to add any weight to the bow.

Peter

I would guess that marketing changed the name, to more aptly notate that it's designed for the Tournament crowd, not the Luxury crowd. But I'm just guessing.

I loved the slalom wake behind the 03-06 RLXi, and in particular the wake for overall use - slalom, barefoot, wakeboard. And, it has great speed due to the hull.

The 07-up RLXi in my opinion handles better, turns harder as the bow digs in faster, takes no water over the bow in comparison, is quieter and has a MUCH MUCH nicer ride quality in any water rougher than glass. It's also slower, didn't have as nice a barefoot wake, and like the previous version throws it's spray a long ways out the side. But, the shorter windshield was much nicer, as was the overall boat.

The TXi is destined to be more of a skiers boat, as mentioned for the slower and longer line length skiers, and the tracking for the skiers. Current big tournaments will add substantial weight to the bow of existing boats to create better tracking at tournaments, and the reaction from a open division driver (when driving the TXi) that has pulled national records was that this boat tracks so good they don't expect to add any weight to the bow.

Peter

Thank you Peter. I've only heard the TXi referred to as the "tweaked" hull. I guess being a tournament skier makes it easier for me to take hearing that T is for tournament. One other question because I'm just curious on this one - why does Malibu market this size boat for the tournament crowd when they have another really good offering in the RLX that's smaller and less expensive? I can understand that with the size of the new LXi and now the TXi it fits well in the crossover group. The group that has a slalom guy but then the kids want to do something else like wakeboard, tube or something that a bigger boat and no water over the front are well suited for.

I would be interested in hearing your opinion on that.

Thanks again,

Greg

Greg, it's all about resale in the US market, and probably a bit of production cost-line for Malibu. While I have sold Response and Response LX models probably longer than most dealers in the US, I too have seen the fast slide towards the RLXi (TXi). For the last 4 years or so the overseas market has been the only substantial sales market for the Response and Response LX models.

My hypothesis is this : The current US customer is buying a boat for his or her family, for to purchase a boat as a slalom tractor is too selfish, according to their spouse. Therefore, they are required to buy an open bow, one boat fits all model. The RLXI (TXi) fits this bill beautifully, providing a great slalom wake, lots of interior space, walk-through open bow, and with a wedge can provide some wakeboarding. The overseas market I believe is a different arena. "Social" "boating" I expect is rare, as fuel is expensive. Ski boats are used for just that - skiing. Many are converted to run on propane (at least in years past), and between personal skiing and club skiing, these guys only run the boat to ski. So it is purely a tractor. And what better course tractor is there than a closed bow Response? And as you know, it's highly capable, with Jamie setting the world record behind one just a few years ago.

So, in the US, due to "how" we boat, few want a closed bow or non-walk-through. Therefore, when someone goes to sell it, the market they have to sell to is extremely small, which leads to a harder boat to resell, and fuels the belief that the next boat they buy will be an open bow.

On the production side, which is really why the Response and Response LX have not been marketed for years now, is cost to build. Materials and Labor to build a Response as compared to a Response LXi (TXi) I'm sure are very close. This was the main reason the Sportster was discontinued. If the cost to build was identical to the Response....why would you build both?

Now.... that all said...

I firmly believe that the Response in particular is a vastly overlooked boat. Dealers don't stock or promote the boat, which is arguably the best value in the Malibu line up. Heck, many dealers don't even stock a direct drive! I am all too aware of the vast differences in regional markets, but it's a disservice to not show both direct drives and v-drives at a dealership. The Response is a world class slalom boat. It takes very little to make it a world class barefoot boat. Add a wedge and maybe a sack and you have a great wakeboard boat for recreational use. Wonderful handling, excellent and straightforward systems and erogonomics. All for an affordable price. And best of all? Timeless classic beauty. If anyone grew up watching ski boats on the lake, this is the boat you wanted from the first time you could ski.

Peter :)

Greg, it's all about resale in the US market, and probably a bit of production cost-line for Malibu. While I have sold Response and Response LX models probably longer than most dealers in the US, I too have seen the fast slide towards the RLXi (TXi). For the last 4 years or so the overseas market has been the only substantial sales market for the Response and Response LX models.

My hypothesis is this : The current US customer is buying a boat for his or her family, for to purchase a boat as a slalom tractor is too selfish, according to their spouse. Therefore, they are required to buy an open bow, one boat fits all model. The RLXI (TXi) fits this bill beautifully, providing a great slalom wake, lots of interior space, walk-through open bow, and with a wedge can provide some wakeboarding. The overseas market I believe is a different arena. "Social" "boating" I expect is rare, as fuel is expensive. Ski boats are used for just that - skiing. Many are converted to run on propane (at least in years past), and between personal skiing and club skiing, these guys only run the boat to ski. So it is purely a tractor. And what better course tractor is there than a closed bow Response? And as you know, it's highly capable, with Jamie setting the world record behind one just a few years ago.

So, in the US, due to "how" we boat, few want a closed bow or non-walk-through. Therefore, when someone goes to sell it, the market they have to sell to is extremely small, which leads to a harder boat to resell, and fuels the belief that the next boat they buy will be an open bow.

On the production side, which is really why the Response and Response LX have not been marketed for years now, is cost to build. Materials and Labor to build a Response as compared to a Response LXi (TXi) I'm sure are very close. This was the main reason the Sportster was discontinued. If the cost to build was identical to the Response....why would you build both?

Now.... that all said...

I firmly believe that the Response in particular is a vastly overlooked boat. Dealers don't stock or promote the boat, which is arguably the best value in the Malibu line up. Heck, many dealers don't even stock a direct drive! I am all too aware of the vast differences in regional markets, but it's a disservice to not show both direct drives and v-drives at a dealership. The Response is a world class slalom boat. It takes very little to make it a world class barefoot boat. Add a wedge and maybe a sack and you have a great wakeboard boat for recreational use. Wonderful handling, excellent and straightforward systems and erogonomics. All for an affordable price. And best of all? Timeless classic beauty. If anyone grew up watching ski boats on the lake, this is the boat you wanted from the first time you could ski.

Very well stated, Peter.

Perfectly sums up why the Response has and will continue to be my favorite Malibu of all time. :rockon:

I agree UW. When I was shopping, I really wanted an RLXI for the very reasons Peter states. CFO and I had different opinions on budget and ended up with my SSLX, which we both enjoy. Our next ride will most certainly be an RLXI when we upgrade (many years from now).

Edited by inlandlaker

Now.... that all said...

Thank you Peter. Thanks you for taking as much time and effort as you have shown in your response to me- I do appreciate it. You are a credit to Malibu and to the folks on this site.

What you so eloquently wrote above mirrors exactly what I have felt for some time.

Greg

The new boat looks great. I really like the subtle changes as the LXi is such a sharp looking boat and the new windshield and stripe add to it. I think the new windshield will gain lots of praise over the old. I also think the skiers that are going to benefit from the new boats are skiers at 15 and 22 off and speeds of 32 mph and lower.

I've been told that the boat is only going to be offered with the 6.0. Any truth to that?

Peter or anyone else what kind of mirror mount is that on the picture of the RLXI that was posted on July 8? Thanks, Eric.

Peter or anyone else what kind of mirror mount is that on the picture of the RLXI that was posted on July 8? Thanks, Eric.

Good eye! Good question. Don't you like the 07 mount?

That was the revised mirror mount that existed for one year before they dropped PCW as a vendor.

pb

Good eye! Good question. Don't you like the 07 mount?

Sixball, the mirror mount in those pictures just caught my eye. I hadn't seen that type of mount before. Thanks Peter.

Hijack off.

That is a nice looking boat. Not wild about that steering wheel either, but I love the w/s - definite improvement.

One of the things that has bugged me about the newer RLXi (since '07) is that the interior color combo's seem really limited. Why is everything a shade of white/lt. grey/md. grey? I haven't spent much time on iSpec lately, but it seems like the only accent color available is the piping. Why don't they offer the ability to add color to some of the accent panels in the seats? IMHO that boat in the magazine would look better if the md. grey panels in that interior were replaced with black (or possibly red). Wouldn't necessarily have to be on the seats, but at least on the motor box. Just seems kind of bland the way it is now.