Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

operating temp question on 2000 monsoon

BG2085

just bought a 2000 escape 23lsv with a monsoon. manual says normal temp is 140-160. mine is operating about 165-170...any ideas or am i just paranoid

boat has 118 hours. thanks

I would start with the impeller then check the thermostat. With it being 11 years old and only having 118 hours, it's possible that the impeller dried up and self destructed. Very cheap and easy to check. FWIW I have a 97 SSLX with the monsoon and have never seen anything higher than 160. I'm sure others will chime in here with more ideas, but that's where I would start.

I would start with the impeller then check the thermostat. With it being 11 years old and only having 118 hours, it's possible that the impeller dried up and self destructed. Very cheap and easy to check. FWIW I have a 97 SSLX with the monsoon and have never seen anything higher than 160. I'm sure others will chime in here with more ideas, but that's where I would start.

ill do that first thing.....crazy question here but where and how do you do that!!!

this is my first inboard boat...always had outboards. thanks

Impeller is in about the worst position possible towards the transom about 2/3 of the way up between the bilge and the top. The tranny cooler is starboard (driver side) transom side as well.

Here are a few pics of the tranny cooler

untitled.jpg

And here is the impeller, keep in mind the pics are from a direct drive, your v-drive is backwards, thus up against the transom

impeller.jpg

Good Luck, the first go-round is always the hardest, it's easy after you know what is what.

This was one of the first things I checked on my boat after I got it. I found a several pieces of old impellers in the tranny cooler screen. It's a worthy 15 minutes of your time to do this.

Impeller is in about the worst position possible towards the transom about 2/3 of the way up between the bilge and the top. The tranny cooler is starboard (driver side) transom side as well.

Here are a few pics of the tranny cooler

untitled.jpg

And here is the impeller, keep in mind the pics are from a direct drive, your v-drive is backwards, thus up against the transom

impeller.jpg

Good Luck, the first go-round is always the hardest, it's easy after you know what is what.

Shoot nate I just gave you all kinds of grief agout not being specific on the other thread on this same topic, oh well

so i started with the tranny cooler first since its easiest to get to. the bottom portion was crammed full of RUBBER pieces..no plastic? the guy told me he thinks they changed the impeller the end of last season. whats the rubber???

so i started with the tranny cooler first since its easiest to get to. the bottom portion was crammed full of RUBBER pieces..no plastic? the guy told me he thinks they changed the impeller the end of last season. whats the rubber???

Impeller parts. Remove them, then check the impeller. If he put a new impeller in, the parts you see could be from the old one. You should order one so you have it on hand if you ever need to replace one.

Shoot nate I just gave you all kinds of grief agout not being specific on the other thread on this same topic, oh well

:biggrin: Need to merge these before REW and I put on the boxing gloves!!

You also need to completely remove that large hose that feeds the tranny cooler and flush it out. There could be even more pieces sitting in the lowest portion of the hose.

removed the impellar....it looked fine but i replaced it any. clean tran cooler of the other impellar that fell apart...just ran the boat for about 15 minutes and im still seeing temps at 165-168...no alarms, no lights, no squeling. any other thoughts??? thanks guys..ill stick to this thread only

FWIW, I have the Monsoon in my 2000 Wakesetter. When I was out today, I was also seeing temps slightly over 160. I replaced the impeller at the beginning of the year (the old one looked to be in good shape too). I'm not too concerned about it, but will check some of the hiding spots for old impeller pieces at some point. I'm not sure how accurate a 10+ year old temperature gauge is either........

FWIW, I have the Monsoon in my 2000 Wakesetter. When I was out today, I was also seeing temps slightly over 160. I replaced the impeller at the beginning of the year (the old one looked to be in good shape too). I'm not too concerned about it, but will check some of the hiding spots for old impeller pieces at some point. I'm not sure how accurate a 10+ year old temperature gauge is either........

im going to change the thermostat. its driving me insane.

removed the impellar....it looked fine but i replaced it any. clean tran cooler of the other impellar that fell apart...just ran the boat for about 15 minutes and im still seeing temps at 165-168...no alarms, no lights, no squeling. any other thoughts??? thanks guys..ill stick to this thread only

You're not going to get an alarm or lights for being at 165...comes much higher than that. Although thermostat cheap you could have pieces in it causing it sticking. I did one time.