Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is an upgrade the answer?

Levi900RR

Hey all,

As most of you know I own a 93 Euro Skier. I mostly wakeboard and have started surfing. I have a 1 year old daughter and don't have the time I used to... I have been spending a LOT of time trying to make my Skier better at the sports I enjoy. You might already know this as well... I have been fighting a home made ballast system for most of the spring and spending a day working on the boat seems to be harder to accomplish than it used to be.

My wife and I have been talking about how I am pretty much trying to make this boat do what it was designed NOT to do. I have thought about upgrading to a newer DD wakesetter / sunsetter with a wedge and some built in ballast and tower OR a early V drive something.

This is the first Malibu I have owned so my real questions is...

If I get a different boat am I just going to be dealing with different issues? Should I keep my head down and get my boat set up the way I want it?

I am kicking around getting a Series 2 tower for the Skier and loading that up is going to be several thousand dollars... then Perfect pass etc... and in the end its still not going to be a real "wakeboat"

I dont use the boat a TON so a big upgrade really isnt possible but I think for high teens I could pick up something that may suit my needs better.

:crazy:

my 15 year old is doing tantrums and back and front rolls with only the wedge, no other ballast. I wanted a V drive but they where 4-5 grand more than the same boat in a DD. I will probably never add any other ballast but I don't surf.

my 15 year old is doing tantrums and back and front rolls with only the wedge, no other ballast. I wanted a V drive but they where 4-5 grand more than the same boat in a DD. I will probably never add any other ballast but I don't surf.

I would concider a DD that could support a wedge / had a little room for ballast...

PS, in no way am I saying you cant do wake tricks on a stock Malibu Skier wake.

Hey all,

As most of you know I own a 93 Euro Skier. I mostly wakeboard and have started surfing. I have a 1 year old daughter and don't have the time I used to... I have been spending a LOT of time trying to make my Skier better at the sports I enjoy. You might already know this as well... I have been fighting a home made ballast system for most of the spring and spending a day working on the boat seems to be harder to accomplish than it used to be.

My wife and I have been talking about how I am pretty much trying to make this boat do what it was designed NOT to do. I have thought about upgrading to a newer DD wakesetter / sunsetter with a wedge and some built in ballast and tower OR a early V drive something.

If I get a different boat am I just going to be dealing with different issues? Should I keep my head down and get my boat set up the way I want it?

I am kicking around getting a Series 2 tower for the Skier and loading that up is going to be several thousand dollars... then Perfect pass etc... and in the end its still not going to be a real "wakeboat"

I dont use the boat a TON so a big upgrade really isnt possible but I think for high teens I could pick up something that may suit my needs better.

It would seem to me that you have answered your own question. If I were you, I would be looking toward a DD wakesetter / sunsetter simply for purposes of the available space with the family.

Good luck.

It would seem to me that you have answered your own question. If I were you, I would be looking toward a DD wakesetter / sunsetter simply for purposes of the available space with the family.

Good luck.

It is even starting to make financial sense... If I keep dumping $X into my boat every year trying to make it something that it's not I'll end up having close to 15K into it anyway.

But I'm not sold yet. My main concern is that I'll spend the $ on a newer set up and still be tinkering on it all the time. :dontknow:

Hey all,

Yes, but the boat will be a lot closer to what you need to begin with. Especially if you go with an early vdrive ('96ish VLX for example). You can buy one for between $15k-$20k, & with a young family that would make a lot more sense in so many ways to build off of than the Skier. Bottom line, save the money that you would put into the Skier for the vdrive.

Yes, but the boat will be a lot closer to what you need to begin with. Especially if you go with an early vdrive ('96ish VLX for example). You can buy one for between $15k-$20k, & with a young family that would make a lot more sense in so many ways to build off of than the Skier. Bottom line, save the money that you would put into the Skier for the vdrive.

I was just running some #'s... If I could get around 8K for my Skier and I put like 3-5K down I could have a very little payment for a pretty short term to get 10X's the boat with something like this...

EDIT: That 96 VLX in Texas would have been perfect...

Edited by Levi900RR

It is even starting to make financial sense... If I keep dumping $X into my boat every year trying to make it something that it's not I'll end up having close to 15K into it anyway.

But I'm not sold yet. My main concern is that I'll spend the $ on a newer set up and still be tinkering on it all the time. :dontknow:

then just get a setup that doesn're require tinkering. :biggrin: many Sunsetter LXs and DD wakesetters have ppass and wedge already. Some with ballast too.

Yup, exactly. And don't bother with the direct drive. Unless you're doing flat water stuff, you'll just run into many of the same issues that you've got now. Save your money, get what you want to start with.

then just get a setup that doesn're require tinkering. :biggrin: many Sunsetter LXs and DD wakesetters have ppass and wedge already. Some with ballast too.

Yep, I should really clean up the Skier and get it for sale, then try and wait it out for the perfect V-drive to pop up.

Perfect pass, some ballast and a Titan tower would be ideal. Maybe already has an Evolution cover... :crazy:

Edited by Levi900RR

Yup, exactly. And don't bother with the direct drive. Unless you're doing flat water stuff, you'll just run into many of the same issues that you've got now. Save your money, get what you want to start with.

I agree with wakegirl completely on this. We spent a lot of time trying to decide what boat would be best for us when we purchased originally. I really wanted an RLX for selfish ski reasons but the wife was more into wakeboarding / kneed boarding, and considering the family has recently started to grow, we decided on an SSLX for space reasons as well as something that is a good compromise between our desires. Really, we would have like to get an SLXI but it was not in the cards financially because we wanted no payment.

Btw......it took us well over a year to save and decide on boats and we're very happy with our SSLX.

....and.....I will still be tinkering with this ride (read perfect pass here).

Edited by inlandlaker

Haha, there is no such thing.

If you don't ski, I'd recommend a v-drive. Kids grow up fast, and you'll love the room.

Haha, there is no such thing. If you don't ski, I'd recommend a v-drive. Kids grow up fast, and you'll love the room.

This is the answer that I was worried about...

Haha, there is no such thing.

If you don't ski, I'd recommend a v-drive. Kids grow up fast, and you'll love the room.

I agree, You will go through the upgrade and you will still spend money on accessories and parts, ballast, racks, etc.... I still think you should upgrade though... You will get better resale long term out of a V-Drive and if you sink money into your Skier you will not see any return unless you keep it for a long time.. If you are thinking of upgrading now you will get that same itch every spring...

I agree, You will go through the upgrade and you will still spend money on accessories and parts, ballast, racks, etc.... I still think you should upgrade though... You will get better resale long term out of a V-Drive and if you sink money into your Skier you will not see any return unless you keep it for a long time.. If you are thinking of upgrading now you will get that same itch every spring...

That is so true, I was thinking about going from my DD to a V-drive for 2 years and finally did it. After the season started I was fine but every fall/spring I would start searching and finding some sweet deals on v-drives. I finally did it this season, I couldn't take it any longer. Maybe I am unlike others but once the thought of upgrading my boat crossed my mind I couldn't stop thinking about it.

I will be in your same shoe a few years from now. Currently no kids so the Skier layout is perfect. I would probably entertain selling earlier just to start the kitty. After replacing all the wood in the Skier it is a better boat, but now I'm afraid to even let any water touch it.

I was in your shoes this spring. Same exact situation. As you see, I went V-drive.

I previously owned a 1985 Ski Supreme that I completely refinished 3 years ago. By completely, I mean down to the floors and stringers, and all the way back up. Ballast, Tower, floors, carpet, stereo, etc. I loved that boat with every drip of sweat I had into it. It was fantastic for me and my 3 buddies to go out and ride for a couple hours.

But now as I am getting married this fall and a family is in my near future, I looked to change my choice in boats. We test drove 3 or 4 direct drive boats that I REALLY liked. I almost pulled the trigger on 2 of them. Then I went to look at a v-drive. With kids entering the picture sooner than later, and then you think about them bringing friends, or your friends and their kids, a v-drive just really makes better sense. My fiance was thrilled by the thought as well. I ended up increasing my monthly payment by a little more than double, but I got a lot more boat that we won't outgrow.

With all the money that you have in your boat, you'll be sure to get a solid number out of it. Put that towards a older v-drive that already has the factory amenities. It's a lot easier to add to the what the factory already has in the boat, than it is to add everything yourself.

I was in your exact shoes last spring, litterally. I had a one year old daughter and a Euro F3 closed bow. The boat was just too small, expecially with ballast bags strewn about. I upgraded to a SSLxi with all the options I wanted and couldn't be happier. Of course there is no such thing as not tinkering! I have already upgraded the wedge to a floater and added another integrated ballast system. But as I mentioned we could not be happier!

I say pull the trigger 100%. You'll enjoy your time on the water more because you won't be thinking about all the things you'd like to have. Instead you'll be smiling about the great decision you made to upgrade. We have put 100 hours on our new boat and everytime I get in it I still think "man am I glad I bought this boat!"

FYI I got $7500 for my 93' Euro F3. It sold in 2 days. I don't think my boat was in as good of shape as yours either.

This is the answer that I was worried about...

You will always want to tinker with your boats, it's part of who you are so don't be concerned about that part. Look at the basic functionality of the boat to begin with relative to what you use it for. Any vdrive will have that functionality in spades compared with your Skier (or any direct drive for that matter) without doing a thing to it. From there, it's where you want to go with it.

This is where I'm at...

Answer to original question = yes, I need to upgrade (someday)...

My plan, skip the tower / perfect pass / other "investments" I can make in the Skier and start a slush fund for a older V-drive!

We just moved to a house on the lake so I really don't want a boat payment even if its a little one. I think within a year or 2 I can drum up enough $ to get what I want. The trouble might be finding one within 1000 miles. :crazy:

Edited by Levi900RR

This is where I'm at...

My plan, skip the tower / perfect pass / other "investments" I can make in the Skier and start a slush fund for a older V-drive!

We just moved to a house on the lake so I really don't want a boat payment even if its a little one. I think within a year or 2 I can drum up enough $ to get what I want. The trouble might be finding one within 1000 miles. :crazy:

Smart thinking, man! That's how we roll. Saved for 2 years and then found a boat. I found mine about 300 miles away and it was well worth it. For whatever reason, boats in my area are SUPER expensive compared to other locations around the country. My exact same boat, same options, etc. is for sale locally for nearly $5k more than I paid for mine and is not anywhere near as clean as mine.....can't figure that out.... :crazy:

This is where I'm at...

Road trip :yahoo: That's the fun part. I had to drive 9 hour one way for my new boat and it was a blast. Took a couple buddies and had a great time (for the most part). I like your plan, now just stick to it. Having the boat of your dreams without a payment will be worth the 2 year wait. Remember all the bells and whistles are just wants, not needs.