Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another new ski question

grnautique

I have been debating back and forth about buying a new ski so I thought maybe I could get some good feedback on here. I am an intermediate skier, I have only been skiing for a year and a half though I do live on a lake and ski probably 3-4 times a week. I usually ski at 33-34 MPH. I am not skiing the slalom course yet though my goal for 2006 is to ski the course. Currently I am skiing on a HO Rival (68.5"). I think it was a good ski for me to get started on but I am beginning to wonder if it is going to start holding me back. I know I am not ready for a Monza or any other high end ski but I was sort of thinking about getting an HO Triumph. Also I am about 245 lbs so I think the 68.5" may be a little small so I was going to get a 71" Triumph. Does anyone know if this would be a worthwhile upgrade or if I just stick with the Rival for now.

Thanks

I would say either the

HO CDX

(The most popular ski on this site)

or

HO Nitro

(Which is a "shaped" System 8)

Do you have the ability to demo? (A dealer close by) That is definitely the best route. The CDX is a very versatile ski and will help you progress. It skis OK at 30, better at 32, but is happiest at 34 and above. And you'll love the Animal Superfeet Boots. I haven't ridden a Nitro so I can't speak to it. Maybe someone else can...

Good luck with wathever you decide. :)

based on previous threads and sound advice from skisix@38, I think you would benefit at this stage more from the shaped Triumph than the CDX (Michael doesn't pay attention half the time and is hard-headed the other half Tease2.gif ). I'm sure you've already read the previous threads, but in case you haven't, read this one and also this one, and finally this one, too. I think you're on the right track.

Yes, I have read the other threads and think jumping to a CDX maybe too much for me right now based on what skisix@38 has said in the past. I thought about a Charger/Magnum but it doesn't seem like that is a huge jump from what I have now as my current ski is a V bottom. Also it looks like a few people on here have not liked the Charger but I have yet to hear one bad thing about the Triumph. Thanks for the feedback.

...(Michael doesn't pay attention half the time and is hard-headed the other half Tease2.gif )...

I'll give you hard headed... Bash.gif

When a guy tells me that he skis 3-4 times per week, is skiing at 34 mph, and plans to be in the course within the next twelve months...I assume that he is at the CDX level (or getting close enough to ride one). When I got my CDX I was skiing 1-2 times per week, 32 mph, and we had no course on our lake at that point. I took a couple of lessons right after I got it and haven't regretted the purchase at all.

As far as paying attention... :unsure: ...well, maybe you're right on that one... :lol:

Edited by NorCaliBu

KD 7000 is Sweet at 34 mph and you won't have to spend like a drunken sailor to get one. Maybe even a KD 4000 or KD Lithium(a bit wider than 7000). Go to ebay or google and search for KD in sporting goods. Better yet hang out with some slalom guys, pay for some gas and try their stuff. Course guys are always willing to help. Just remember until you are deep into short line, It's not the arrow...It's the indian.

I just spoke with the folks at Wileys. They suggested a Kidder Redline 72". Good price too ($299 with double Wileys) so that has peaked my interests. Problem with my trying other people's equipment is I have size 14 feet, I don't anyone else around here that has bindings I can get in to.

KD 7000 is Sweet...

Before you switch from HO to KD I would definitely demo. The skis behave totally different. I can't run a KD through the course to save my life. I've always skied HO (weight back) and the whole KD "thing" just doesn't work for me. But everyone's different, that's why demo is the way to go. Biggrin.gif

I just spoke with the folks at Wileys.  They suggested a Kidder Redline 72".  Good price too ($299 with double Wileys) so that has peaked my interests.  Problem with my trying other people's equipment is I have size 14 feet, I don't anyone else around here that has bindings I can get in to.

SIZE 14 You should be a footer!!

but Michael is correct about the HO/KD a/k/a Kidder thing. If you like your HO Rival and tend to have a weight-back style, stick with HO ( and the Triumph can easily run the course and still allow you to progress)... If you really ski better centered style, go with one of Denny's...

...and did I mention Michael's tendency to get a tad testy when challenged?

:lol:

Here is mike way back when...

Actually, I did learn with double handles... Crazy.gif (33 years ago, I was 6)

...Michael is correct...

I just never get tired of hearing that. Biggrin.gif

Wish I heard it more often. :(

:lol:

Edited by NorCaliBu

I don'tknow about your style but I got a kidder redline around 1990 and skied the course at 32 and 34 @ 15 off. I sold my Nautique in 1995 and got into saltwater fishing and diving. I sold the offshore boat a couple of years ago and got a Response last Sept. I dusted off the old redline this spring and by the end of the season I was running 32/14, 34/15, and 34/22 off the dock. My best this year was 3 1/2 at 28 off. I bought a HO Truth and almost killed myself in July. Put that dog on e-bay for someone else to "enjoy". I'm looking to get a CR7 from Wileys but haven't made the call yet. I need to get some more feedback from the group.

I think you will like the redline and Wiley's has a good price.

I would think that with the amount of time that you will spend on the water, you will progress up to the CDX level in short order, so you will be looking for one very soon -- maybe try ski-it-again.com to get a semi used more intermediate ski for a couple of months and then hit Wiley's for a CDX.

I go 225-230# myself and the 70" CDX is what the Dr. ordered.

I also have a set of circa 2000 Animal non-lace ups in XXL that I will never use again. I probably used them 10 times. If you want them as an extra set for those size 14's I'll let them go cheap.

I've got a XXL Venom front boot that I'll sell you super-cheap that was on my Mach 1 when I bought it from Matt (UWSkier). I dropped down to an XL. I'd like to see it find a good home. So, if you find something HO used with a RTP and wrong front boot, I can hook you up. Yahoo.gif

BTW, it's a '98 or so, and the plate was different then than it is now, so there may be the need for drilling a hole or two (in the plate) if the boot you wind up with has a newer plate.

At 245 your limitation will be getting a ski big enough. You'll need at least a 70" and the shaped skis will give you more lift and make you early progression come more quickly. You'll still need to practice good technique to improve, quality not just quantity.

I think the CDX is a terrible option for you, I know that a lot on here think very highly of that ski but, it's a demanding ski that wants to stop as soon as it's off edge. Try to find a 70" KD CR7 or a D3, the Redline is a little more demanding ski than either of the other two I listed.

Have fun!

I've got a XXL Venom front boot that I'll sell you super-cheap that was on my Mach 1 when I bought it from Matt (UWSkier).  I dropped down to an XL.  I'd like to see it find a good home.  So, if you find something HO used with a RTP and wrong front boot, I can hook you up. Yahoo.gif

BTW, it's a '98 or so, and the plate was different then than it is now, so there may be the need for drilling a hole or two (in the plate) if the boot you wind up with has a newer plate.

Wiley's can probably hook you up with a new plate if needed. I know they were able to help on retrofitting a new binding to the old plate. I assume they can go the other direction too...

For what it's worth, I picked up a Triumph (67) this summer and noticed a big difference between it and my 2000 Charger (I'm 6' 1", 190 lbs). I can ride the Triumph farther forward (but can still ride it on the tail). It's very stable and cuts through the wake much more easily than the old Charger. I'm just a recreational skier, though, with no course experience.

From what I've heard, the Nitro might be a good match in the HO line. Higher performance than the Triumph but a notch down from their top of the line tournament skis.

If you're interested in the KD line, the guys at Wiley's told me that the 70" KD 7000 is the same ski as the CR 7, but only in the 70" length. Call them for more info: it may be a way to get a top-end ski for a bit less.

Well, I put in a sort of lowball offer on a 71" Triumph on Ebay and they took it. Its a blank so now onto my next debate. They will sell me double unions cheap. Anyone have any experience with Unions? I know they are an adjustable boot but will I be sorry with them? I really don't have the extra cash to go for new Animals right now but I could always take the Venom and RTP off of my Rival to use for a while, but part of me thinks adjustable boots might be good as I could let others use the ski too. I am asking skislut about his used Animals too.

Thanks for everyone's help and skisix@38, as for the good technique thing, I will be looking for some help with that as I will be at the Michigan clinic with you in the spring.

Congrats on the new ski!

I tried on the Unions at a local sporting goods store and didn't like the way the tongue felt. If it were me, I'd stick with the Venom over the Unions.