Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

After Market Cleats

ThrowingaTantrum

Alright so one of those things you don't really notice until you need them are cleats. I have a 1995 Tantrum that has no cleats on it. I have decided that I need to add a few. Now the question is where to put them and what kind to get. I was thinking 3 of the recessed kind. One on either side and one at the bow. Am I one the right track?

Has anyone added cleats to their boat? Any input into how to install them would be appreciated.

On my '10 LSV the bow cleats are located higher than the stern cleats because of the hull transition :dontknow: which is kind of a PITA. When I tie up to boats with a higher free board and at some docks the bumpers are pretty much be useless because they are too low to make contact with the other boat/dock. I bought the sectioned flat bumpers to keep it off of things, because the typical round bumpers roll out of place and are content with how they work to this point. Might be something you want to mock up with the bumpers you have.

martinarcher

I'd go with something like the Attwood Neat Cleat.

Here's them on Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Corporation-Neat-Cleat-2-Inch/dp/B001O0DKLQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1308692583&sr=1-1

The 4.5" would be probably about right for a ski boat. They are nice since they stay flush with the gunnel when not in use. Way cheaper than the fancier Malibu cleats too!

As far as installing them I believe the Neat Cleats only require two holes instead of a large cut out like some cleats. Just be sure to drill through the gel in reverse and then chamfer the holes after the hole has been drilled. That keeps the gel from cracking. Lots of good threads on drilling gel coat too!

Awesome! I am going to be drilling so many holes in my boat this weekend! I hope it still floats when I'm done! :whistle:

Just a fish finder for now. When you only have one boat it's got to do it all! There is a million dollar fish in my lake and I intend to catch it! :rockon:

I mounted a Fish Finder on my old Spyder maybe a dozen years ago. Not so many holes.

It has turned out to be one of our most fun toys.

Newbies in particular enjoy seeing the water temperature, the kind of lake / river bottom we are in and the fish swimming on the display.

I mounted it on the passenger dash angled back toward the driver's seat.

The thing is fully adjustable after you install it. It draws next to no current.

It is obviously great when we are sneaking right up to a shady cove to get out of the hot sun on a 95 degree day.

Good to know! It looks like 4 small holes below the water line and 1 larger one above for the cable to run through and 4 small holes in the dash to mount the monitor. And of course the holes for the new cleats.

This may be off topic but hey it's my thread! ;) Any hints on how to hook up the power? It came with a threaded connection for the power supply that looks like a tv cable connection.

The 5 pin connector is installed on / at the mounting bracket on the dash.

The screen / monitor is quickly removable from the mount. It just snaps on or off.

Two of the wires on the 5 pin connector are for 12 volt dc power.

The longer wires go to your depth / temperature / speed sensor mounted on the transom at the waterline.

Hummingbird DX 200 is what I have. Close to entry level, discontinued ? Has worked absolutely great.

We leave it on all day.

Besides Lake Billy Chinook we frequently venture to other lakes around Oregon.

Willamette (can be dangerous in spots), the mighty Columbia, Sacramento Delta.

We find ourselves in a new to us spot and appreciate the depth finder.

martinarcher

Make sure to chamfer the holes after drilling to prevent cracking and use a good marine silicone meant for underwater applications when installing the underwater stuff. I just fixed a pretty good leak in my boat that turned out to be where the speedo tubes entered the hull under the waterline.

I'm pretty sure I got everything I need. I made a list based on about 13 threads from here, several videos and a couple articles from other sites. Unfortunately, acetone only comes in life time supply size containers!

martinarcher

I'm pretty sure I got everything I need. I made a list based on about 13 threads from here, several videos and a couple articles from other sites. Unfortunately, acetone only comes in life time supply size containers!

Your right....sad part is I'm on my second boat and my second can of Acetone. Biggrin.gif

You reading all those thread....your going to be Malibu expert in no time!

Edited by martinarcher

Your right....sad part is I'm on my second boat and my second can of Acetone. Biggrin.gif

You reading all those thread....your going to be Malibu expert in no time!

I have a lot of free time at work :whistle:

By the way this is a government funded job so essentially all of you are paying me to become a Malibu expert! :thumbup:

Thanks for working everyone! :rofl:

I'd go with something like the Attwood Neat Cleat.

Here's them on Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Corporation-Neat-Cleat-2-Inch/dp/B001O0DKLQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1308692583&sr=1-1

The 4.5" would be probably about right for a ski boat. They are nice since they stay flush with the gunnel when not in use. Way cheaper than the fancier Malibu cleats too!

As far as installing them I believe the Neat Cleats only require two holes instead of a large cut out like some cleats. Just be sure to drill through the gel in reverse and then chamfer the holes after the hole has been drilled. That keeps the gel from cracking. Lots of good threads on drilling gel coat too!

Those are pretty nice, but what about these? I have been thinking about adding cleats too and was looking at these but what you suggest does offer some cost benefit.

martinarcher

I have a lot of free time at work :whistle:

By the way this is a government funded job so essentially all of you are paying me to become a Malibu expert! :thumbup:

Thanks for working everyone! :rofl:

LOL.gif Nice...can't beat that!!

martinarcher

Those are pretty nice, but what about these? I have been thinking about adding cleats too and was looking at these but what you suggest does offer some cost benefit.

Those are certainly sweet....just $70 a pop. Cry.gif

martinarcher

That's why I haven't ordered them......yet.

LOL.gif Yeah if I tied up a lot I would probably break down and buy some. I just never use them since we always trailer the boat.

LOL.gif Yeah if I tied up a lot I would probably break down and buy some. I just never use them since we always trailer the boat.

I have been thinking about these too, everytime I do I can't ever think of a time that I would have neeeded them...

:crazy:

If you tie up I can imagine they are a must. My F-I-L has a 21' Four Winns that I usually take if we are going somewhere like that.