Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tandem Trailer Upgrade

BSUBU_Kris

I have a couple long road trips planned for the summer so I thought I would look into adding a second set of disc brakes to my trailer.

I have a 23 LSV and the trailer is made by California Trailer Works (CTW). This boat weighs in at around 4,000 pounds dry with the trailer being another 1,200 pounds. So I figure with a full tank of fuel and other "stuff" in the boat I am looking at 6,000 pounds.

The before and after was really amazing. I really can't even tell the boat is there when stopping, very smooth and no noticable difference than without the boat. Before adding the second set of brakes you could definitely tell the boat was back there and it was definitely longer to stop as you could feel it pushing you. I am towing with a GMC Yukon Denali which has really good brakes but adding 6,000 pounds with one set of brakes is asking a lot.

The CTW trailers are made in Sacramento so I dropped it by there facility first thing in the morning and they were done right after lunch. They have a kit available for around $300 for those that want to do it yourself. I didn't want to hassle with that so I had them do it. Total was just a bit over $600 for them to do it. They were really great to work with. They checked over the trailer and also replaced a tail lamp under warranty while they had it there.

I feel a lot better now towing the boat on the freeway. This is the best $600 I have spent on my boat. I bought the boat new out of dealer stock but would definitely have upgraded the brakes if ordering a boat.

Kris

jkendallmsce

I have a couple long road trips planned for the summer so I thought I would look into adding a second set of disc brakes to my trailer.

I have a 23 LSV and the trailer is made by California Trailer Works (CTW). This boat weighs in at around 4,000 pounds dry with the trailer being another 1,200 pounds. So I figure with a full tank of fuel and other "stuff" in the boat I am looking at 6,000 pounds.

The before and after was really amazing. I really can't even tell the boat is there when stopping, very smooth and no noticable difference than without the boat. Before adding the second set of brakes you could definitely tell the boat was back there and it was definitely longer to stop as you could feel it pushing you. I am towing with a GMC Yukon Denali which has really good brakes but adding 6,000 pounds with one set of brakes is asking a lot.

The CTW trailers are made in Sacramento so I dropped it by there facility first thing in the morning and they were done right after lunch. They have a kit available for around $300 for those that want to do it yourself. I didn't want to hassle with that so I had them do it. Total was just a bit over $600 for them to do it. They were really great to work with. They checked over the trailer and also replaced a tail lamp under warranty while they had it there.

I feel a lot better now towing the boat on the freeway. This is the best $600 I have spent on my boat. I bought the boat new out of dealer stock but would definitely have upgraded the brakes if ordering a boat.

Kris

where is CTW Trailers?

I know of DHM Trailers.

where is CTW Trailers?

I know of DHM Trailers.

My understanding is that DHM is no longer and that CTW is taking over their book per se. I have a DHM, had an issue, and was referred to CTW.

CTW is the former DMH company. They are located in Sacramento. I don't know the history of the company. I believe DMH went out of business but I don't know if CTW is the same company under a different name or a new company that took over DMH.

The trailer seems to be of good quality and the management group there was really great to work with.

jkendallmsce

Same company

After now having 4w disc brakes it really does make a huge difference, worth while upgrade.

I had DHM make a custom trailer for my CC a few years back. The trailer turned out as nice as the boat.

A sign of the times.