Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Driving Skills

MALI-MONSTER

I am fairly new to inboards. I have done a lot of research on driving techniques and really took my time the first time that we were out with our new Bu. I read many posts about docking and watched a video on how to dock. The first time I tried docking I looked like a pro; brought her right up to the dock and slowed to a perfect stop about three inches from the dock and perfectly parallell. Through the course of the day, I did it with similar success several other times. Only thing is, I was only pulling up to the dock on my (the driver) side. When we went to pull the boat out there was of course another boat docked on the left side of the dock. The other side of the dock (passenger side) was free but I chose to wait so I could pull up to the dock on the driver side. This did not please the wife and sun-burned kids who were passed ready to get off the water.

It seems difficult to dock to the passenger side due to the pull to the right in reverse. I am sure with practice that it can be done. What are the techniiques?

I would just drive straight in and have the truck driver walk off the bow onto the dock. It is a quick way to get the driver off and then just float in the marina until the trailer is in the water. I just pull in slow and give it a little reverse when you get close to the dock.

martinarcher

I would just drive straight in and have the truck driver walk off the bow onto the dock. It is a quick way to get the driver off and then just float in the marina until the trailer is in the water. I just pull in slow and give it a little reverse when you get close to the dock.

Yep...we call that the "T-bone" and since there are always wallies tieing up our dock on both sides it's how we typically drop me off to get the truck.

I am fairly new to inboards. I have done a lot of research on driving techniques and really took my time the first time that we were out with our new Bu. I read many posts about docking and watched a video on how to dock. The first time I tried docking I looked like a pro; brought her right up to the dock and slowed to a perfect stop about three inches from the dock and perfectly parallell. Through the course of the day, I did it with similar success several other times. Only thing is, I was only pulling up to the dock on my (the driver) side. When we went to pull the boat out there was of course another boat docked on the left side of the dock. The other side of the dock (passenger side) was free but I chose to wait so I could pull up to the dock on the driver side. This did not please the wife and sun-burned kids who were passed ready to get off the water.

It seems difficult to dock to the passenger side due to the pull to the right in reverse. I am sure with practice that it can be done. What are the techniiques?

reverse, as you start moving to the right, wheel right and quick shot of power (forward), back to neutral as soon as boat has stopped moving backwards.

I usually have everyone get off at the swimstep. I can hook the boat in close enough that everyone just steps off the swimstep & on to the dock. If I'm too close, then they can give me a little push.

Our boat slips in our HOA are given out by drawing. I've always backed into the slip so that I can use the swimstep as the last step when covering the boat. This is the first year that my slip is on the passenger side of the boat. Makes you have to get creative to get that boat in there. I've found it works best if I swing way out wide & do a 270 degree right turn. The momentum keeps me going around so the passenger side slides in pretty nicely to the dock. And if I'm by myself, I can usually get out of the driver's seat & catch the dock pretty easily myself.

use the same technique you use on the other side: expect reverse to pull stern to the right. start the maneuver by approaching from the mirror of about the same angel and swing the stern towards the dock then use reverse to stop that swing. it is more difficult but with a little practice you will look like a pro.

reverse, as you start moving to the right, wheel right and quick shot of power (forward), back to neutral as soon as boat has stopped moving backwards.

Yup, good explanation.

I usually have everyone get off at the swimstep. I can hook the boat in close enough that everyone just steps off the swimstep & on to the dock. If I'm too close, then they can give me a little push.

Our boat slips in our HOA are given out by drawing. I've always backed into the slip so that I can use the swimstep as the last step when covering the boat. This is the first year that my slip is on the passenger side of the boat. Makes you have to get creative to get that boat in there. I've found it works best if I swing way out wide & do a 270 degree right turn. The momentum keeps me going around so the passenger side slides in pretty nicely to the dock. And if I'm by myself, I can usually get out of the driver's seat & catch the dock pretty easily myself.

:plus1:

we have to do the same thing at our dock due to winds and proximity to a building and bulkhead. If we park on the drivers side we can't get out.

It sounds scary, but the worst thing that will probably happen is you hit reverse too early and you end up in the T-bone position... Have someone catch the bow and give you a push to the side.

Edited by malibanker

This is what we do.

In our marina the loading zone is a parallel parking lot.... like most... enough room just to get one boat length in. When we come in for a left side docking I go 45 degree or less (if space allows)...really slow... wifey in bow grabs the dock. I have a rope pre-tied to the middle cleat (cleat under tower). I calmly walk forward off the bow with rope in hand and pull the back of the boat the last 3-5 feet into the dock while wifey acts as the pivot point at the front. Works every time (and is wind resistant as you already have a line ready to secure to the dock in the middle of the boat). If you do it calmly and in control you look pro doing it.

My 4 year old and I sometimes got the marina for father/son time to watch the boat launch ballet. He loves looking at boats so he gets to look at a new one every couple of minutes. I find it relaxing to watch marriages unfold. If it is really going south I jump in and help (the boat not the marriage).

i always have tides to deal with so port side docking is 100% only if the tide is in my favour and if it is it generally is a piece of cake, come in the same as described for the starboard side and instead of using reverse to pull the rear in u just let the tide do the work..........Biggrin.gif