Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil pressure guage reading

Steve B.

95 Sunsetter, 350 Magnum.

Went to the lake today, boat ran great, but did notice once or twice, as I applied throttle, oil pressure reading went down. As I eased up, pressure came back up.

I think there is no issue, but thought I'd ask you guy's. Sound like a oil pressure sending unit?

Thanks for the help in advance,

Steve B.

95 Sunsetter, 350 Magnum.

Went to the lake today, boat ran great, but did notice once or twice, as I applied throttle, oil pressure reading went down. As I eased up, pressure came back up.

I think there is no issue, but thought I'd ask you guy's. Sound like a oil pressure sending unit?

Thanks for the help in advance,

Steve B.

Steve,

Make sure you oil level is not too high, sometimes oil will foam when the crankcase is too full and cause a drop in pressure, this happens after changing oil, I prefer to run a quart low than have it a quart too high.

martinarcher

Should be the other way around, that doesn't sound right. Might be sending unit?

Plus1.gif

What kind of numbers are we talking? Where is it at idle and what is it dipping to when you add throttle?

Plus1.gif

What kind of numbers are we talking? Where is it at idle and what is it dipping to when you add throttle?

I've only put maybe an hour engine time on since last years oil change at winterization.

Hot idle generally around 12-15psi, and cold idle around 40psi.

I noticed yesterday when watching guage closely for some reason, "just warm" engine 40psi at idle, slowly ramped up throttle and psi would drop to a little less than 15psi. As I dropped to idle pressure would rise to 40 again.

Wierd? It could be as much as a quart over full. Thanks if you have any insight,

Steve B.

I am at 50 psi at idle and near 80 running at 3000rpm.

Are you having any noise out of the engine?

I think I would look into things before doing much running.

What oil are you ruining and is it what you have always used?

I am not sure on your set up but I think you have a sender down around the oil filter. I have seen them get gummed up and show bad readings. You could pull it and flush it in gas or carb cleaner. I have seen that fix it. Its not a big buck item to replace. I have also seen gummed up engines with poor flow from cylinder heads back to pan and the oil get trapped in the heads and drop what is in the pan causing what you are seeing but this is extrema gumming. You could pull a valve cover and have a look.

If you are willing to do another oil change you could do a warm up and drain the oil into a clean catch can then poor the oil threw a paper filter and see if you have any particles. You could also send a sample out to be tested it will tell you if you are having internal problems.

If your reading are correct it is way to low at ruining rpm something is very wrong!!!!!!