Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97 monsoon EFI cuts out and off when pulling intermit tingly? Help!!!

My 97 echelon runs great at startup, I can pull my kids wake boarding for a while then out of the blue she will cut out when I give it throttle. I'll back off while sputtering and missing then it will shut off. Turn the switch off then back on, she cranks back up and hit the throttle she goes fine until it resides to miss again. I've replaced the fuel filter on motor and just replaced fuel filter on tank. I used a NAPA 3033 for the tank filter. The malibu dealer ran the boat for over an hour and didn't act up one time. Oh I replaced the temp stat and she now runs at 160 to 165. Anyone got a clue???

Check for loose or bad electrical connections, especially around the battery and altinator. The reason it didn't fail at the dealer was it never moved. wiggle things around while you are looking. Check the security of all attach points. Corroded battery termanls are a good place to start, it could also be a bad connecton at the ECM. You are looking for anything that would affect the ability of the ECM to create a spark.

Good Luck.

Check for loose or bad electrical connections, especially around the battery and altinator. The reason it didn't fail at the dealer was it never moved. wiggle things around while you are looking. Check the security of all attach points. Corroded battery termanls are a good place to start, it could also be a bad connecton at the ECM. You are looking for anything that would affect the ability of the ECM to create a spark.

Good Luck.

Thanks so much going to lake tomorrow I'll check those connections and the ECM.

I did replace the fuel filter on the tank yesterday. I got currious about what the old filter looked like inside. I cut it open and found a paper filter that was brown and pretty dirty. It had some rust in it as well. The previous owner claimed this filter had just been replaced in the spring. It looked a lot older than that. Would this dirty filter starve the high pressure fuel pump when I throttle up? I'll know tomorrow, goingbto try it out again.

I did replace the fuel filter on the tank yesterday. I got currious about what the old filter looked like inside. I cut it open and found a paper filter that was brown and pretty dirty. It had some rust in it as well. The previous owner claimed this filter had just been replaced in the spring. It looked a lot older than that. Would this dirty filter starve the high pressure fuel pump when I throttle up? I'll know tomorrow, goingbto try it out again.

Hopefully that fixes your prob but you may be looking at a tank pump out... How low do you normally run a tank of gas? I try to avoid anything lower 1/4.

Edited by Ndawg12

Yes

Ran the boat today ad the dang thing ran great around to the dock. Then loaded with wife and kids. Put my son out on the board and engine started sputtering cutting out then shutoff. Motor would start tight back up then at throttle up it would skip and sputter again. I ran it WOT or a few min. It cleaned up or a while then did it again. I've decided o go ahead andvreplace the circulation pump. As I found it squirting water out the weep hole today as well. Motor seems to run hotter than iwould like. Risers are real hot. I Also. got home and looked into the bottom of the fuel pump to find some trash at the small screen on the intake side. I cleaned it out and now await new circulating pump. She should run cool now. I'll keep ya posted with antbprogress after I try it again.this is beginning to get old. When she runs she runs great and doesn't miss a beat. Frustrating.

Next time you're out and it does it, put your hand on the coil. A properly functioning coil will be fairly warm to the touch, one that is shorting out will be HOT!! Fairly unusual situation but I was chasing symptoms very similar to yours on a buddy's Centurion. He kept insisting it was fuel related, changing filters, cleaning screens, dumping in fuel additives, was about to pull his fuel tank so he could rinse it real good and I read about the coil possibly being the culprit on someone else's boat on another forum. Checked the coil next time out and it was too hot to keep my hand on. Replaced the coil, problems gone! Just something to check. Good luck.