Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Filling gas tank

itsonlywater

After trailering my boat for the last few years I now have it stored in a boat storage lot located about 400 ft away from the nearest boat ramp. This has been awesome so far except for one little thing: filling the gas tank.

I show up to the boat with 2 standard plastic 5 gallon gas cans and usually have to empty both into the gas tank. This works but the unfilling process seems to take FOREVER. :lame:

There has to be a better way of getting the gas from the can into the tank without sitting there for 15 minutes holding a gas can. Are there siphoning tricks, different nozzle attachments, or anything else? What method do you use?

I realize this is probably a pretty stupid question but I'm tired of holding cans!

You need Quick Fill Gascans normally used for motorcross. couple minutes and done.

those quick fills cause gas to come out of the vent tube because they fill too fast

Whoa! I have recently found the ultimate solution for this and its cheap!! I had the same issue, those crappy CARB cans leaking gas, taking forevever to drain into a boat.

I replaced my gas cans with NATO plastic gas cans, 6 gallon. To pass Nato specs they have to be able to drain fully in 2 minutes or less. Filling my jet skls we timed it, 1 minute, 8 seconds to empty a full can. The cans are air tight, no leaks, you can lay them on thier side, upside down, what ever. They cant blow up, they are designed to burn before the explode, the dont rust, and they last over 20 years! You can drive over them and not hurt them and they can be bought cheap! Photos and link to come.

Edited by WakesetterE

Never happened to me.

The newer boats vent better, it doesn't happen on every boat but the SSLX are hard to fill fast, every time I try the fast fills, alot winds up on the driveway and back of the boat.

MalibuNation

The newer boats vent better, it doesn't happen on every boat but the SSLX are hard to fill fast, every time I try the fast fills, alot winds up on the driveway and back of the boat.

Do you have one of these:

Whoa! I have recently found the ultimate solution for this and its cheap!! I had the same issue, those crappy CARB cans leaking gas, taking forevever to drain into a boat.

I replaced my gas cans with NATO plastic gas cans, 6 gallon. To pass Nato spects they have to be able to drain fully in 2 minutes or less. Filling my jest skls we timed it, 1 minute, 8 seconds to empty a full can. The cans are air tight, no leaks, you can lay them on thier side, upside down, what ever. They cant blow up, they are designed to burn before the explode, the dont rust, and they last over 20 years! You can drive over them and not hurt them and they can be bought cheap! Photos and link to come.

where do you find one of these? price?

Ok, these are NATO surplus fuel cans. They US army isnt allowed to sell these surplus, they shred theirs. These are Candian surplus NATO cans bought off Craigs list for about $15 to $25 bucks each. I picked mine up 6 months ago in person and bought a few. This same guy still has many, he bought a few sea containers full of these. Search him on Craigs list in Houston, TX. Mine are unbeleivable. I went home and tossed all my red cans. No more leaking, slow crummy cans. For the guys with new boats :biggrin: , you can buy these new on Ebay for about $110 a can. They are Scepter Military Fuel Can MFC FD - Gasoline Viton. See http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item45f9e0cdbe

retail link (they wont sell to you) http://www.scepterma...view/specialty/

Most will agree there isnt any better fuel can than this or our US military would be using it. They use this one. Red strap for gasoline, yellow strap for diesel.

These cans are not CARB compliant, so you wont be buying them retail is the US anywhere. That must be why they work so well! I've never been so happy about a gas can before. They also make smaller cans, water cans, etc...

Edited by WakesetterE

Ok, these are NATO surplus fuel cans. They US army isnt allowed to sell these surplus, they shred theirs. These are Candian surplus NATO cans bought off Craigs list for about $15 to $25 bucks each. I picked mine up 6 months ago in person and bought a few. This same guy still has many, he bought a few sea containers full of these. Search him on Craigs list in Houston, TX. Mine are unbeleivable. I went home and tossed all my red cans. No more leaking, slow crummy cans. For the guys with new boats :biggrin: , you can buy these new on Ebay for about $110 a can. They are Scepter Military Fuel Can MFC FD - Gasoline Viton. See http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item45f9e0cdbe

retail link (they wont sell to you) http://www.scepterma...view/specialty/

Most will agree there isnt any better fuel can than this or our US military would be using it. They use this one. Red strap for gasoline, yellow strap for diesel.

These cans are not CARB compliant, so you wont be buying them retail is the US anywhere. That must be why they work so well! I've never been so happy about a gas can before. They also make smaller cans, water cans, etc...

Sweet....here's the link. http://collegestation.craigslist.org/for/2444044126.html

Question...is there a fill spout that screws onto the opening that goes into your boat fuel fill opening? or how do transfer to the boat tank

I have put a new vent into my carb legal (not anymore) can and it works much better now. I used a radiator petcock drain bought at Autozone or any auto parts store. Drilled a hole in the top of my can just behind the handle right where the old cans used to have a vent hole. Screwed it in and super glued it. Been using it a year now and still holding great. I use these cans for filling my mowers so there is no convenient way to set can higher than fill hole to use the wonder siphon hose mentioned in earlier posts. I think that is a needed step for using the siphon hose. On the boat, that would not be a problem as you could set the can on the sun deck.

Ok, there are two ways to fill with these cans. The high dollar way is the Sceptor fill hose, about $65 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scepter-Fuel-Can-Spout-MFC-w-FREE-VITON-upgrade-NEW-/280696496434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415ad0a132

Then there is the cheap, easy and works better than the $55-65 dollar method I use, and you can make it for 4 bucks. Its a 2" plastic pipe adapter, reduced to a 1" spout with a 3/4 viny tube attached. Works SUPER.

e075b5b8.jpg

Get one of these from Overtons:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=20769

It will auto-siphon a 5 gallon can in about 2 minutes.

:plus1: On this. Its what I use and can dump a 5 gal can in a very short time no spill no holding cans. I keep an old towel on the boat put it down on the back sun deck put the can on it and let it go.

I can measure a can this afternoon. These cans are not like retail gas fans, they are very robust.

Ok, there are two ways to fill with these cans. The high dollar way is the Sceptor fill hose, about $65 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scepter-Fuel-Can-Spout-MFC-w-FREE-VITON-upgrade-NEW-/280696496434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415ad0a132

Then there is the cheap, easy and works better than the $55-65 dollar method I use, and you can make it for 4 bucks. Its a 2" plastic pipe adapter, reduced to a 1" spout with a 3/4 viny tube attached. Works SUPER.

e075b5b8.jpg

I like your way alot better! I'll use the 50 bucks I save on the Sceptor fill hose and buy 5 gallons of gas ;)

:plus1: On this. Its what I use and can dump a 5 gal can in a very short time no spill no holding cans. I keep an old towel on the boat put it down on the back sun deck put the can on it and let it go.

Love these- they are also available al over the internet. No more spills, siphons out all the gas. I set a 5 gallon gas can on a towel on the swim pad, insert the siphon, shake the hose up and down a few times to start the siphon - when getting close to empty, tilt the can so the bottom of the tube gets all the gas. Empties in about two (2) minutes. I keep in in the boat in a double zip-lock freezer bag along with 2 - 2 1/2 gallon cans of gas. No gas smells - always have extra gas......