Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

She can knee board now

REW

:woot: I have been meaning to post this for a few days now. Our adopted daughter learnded to knee board earler this week! :yahoo: For those who don't know any of the story, almost exactly a year ago my wife and I along with our three bio kids went to Latvija to meet Liana. We stayed in a very small apartment (2 bd 1/2 ba) in the orphanage with her and lived as a family for almost three weeks.

During those three weeks we would go to the lake that was accross the street from the orphanage to "swim" Liana would splash around in knee deep water at most, nothing more. When we left we had to leave her there, :rant: paper work on the US side! :Frustrated: . We were finally able to bring her home on December 21.

When spring arrived and the water started to warm, I took her to the boat launch in the neighborhood and started to try to get her into the water. She was wearing a life jacket, wet suit and holding a type IV life preserver. She would go into waist deep water and get wet but that was all. That is where she would stay unitl about two weeks ago. We kept taking her out on the boat and getting her wet onthe sand bar, the first time we did this the boat was anchered and I was standing at the bow in knee deep water, Liana was scared....ok terified of the water, she could see the bottom and my feet but she was still scared, it took about 10 to 15 minuets to get her off the boat. When her feet touched the bottom she was off and running and playing (life jacket on) and getting wet, getting comfortable in the water. This went on for a few weeks, last week we were stoped in a cove and she wanted to get in and float with Poppie, we did this and she was ok as long as I was holding her (we both had life jackets on). On the way home while I was getting the truck, she and our teenage son "swam" together. (Payton 15 is her big scary play thing, her favorite toy) On the next trip out, two days later, she jumped off the back of the boat. Almost didn't get to go boarding that day as she didn't want to stop juming. Two days later she dove off the back of the boat with some friends.

About two days after learning to dive we took her out and she tied to knee board. She got scared being back there alone and we stoped, next trip out (two days) :thumbup: she tried againg and was able to get up. Almost didn't get to go boarding that day either as every other turn was to be hers. :innocent: We convinced her that we all wanted to take a turn. On her next turn she was able to get out of the wake.

The amount of growth and change that she has shown over the summer so far is amazing, the determination to learn, just blows my mind. I can't wait to see what the rest of the summer brings, what the years to come bring.

Thanks for listning. Forgot the camera so we dont have any pics sorry :Frustrated:

She has asked twice so far this morning to go on the boat. :woot:

Congradulations on your adoption, and I love hearing stories like that. We have some friends that adopted from Uganda, and they stories of their daughter are the same. Even though the process is a tough one it is amazing to see how thrie daughter fits in. Thanks for the feel good story on a Friday. Enjoy your Princess.

CB

I remember reading your first post about the adoption process. It's really cool to read follow up stories of how she's adapting to her new family and new way of life. :thumbup:

Great story. I look forward to reading more stories like this one.

Thanks for sharing REW.

Enjoy your summer! :yahoo:

Great story...thanks for sharing. Brought back very fond memories of my daughter learning on a knee board....18 years ago.

Enjoy the rest of the summer fun!

That's awesome REW, thanks for sharing. Hopefully we can meet her and the whole crew at the LKN Mini-Wow this year!!

That is the current plan!

Thanks for all the replies guyes, @Malibunation Yea we are all a little bit excited. I will be posting up more as time goes on. The rest of us are enjoying the growth of this little girl from Latvija, that claims to be only American. We will see if she starts speaking Latvijan again when Liga gets here. :whistle:

martinarcher

That is amazing. I can't wait for the day I have kids and get to teach them how to ski and board. I can't imagine the excitement and enjoyment you have to experience! Yahoo.gif

What a touching story and such a great testament to how boating and being together as a family on a boat can add strength to any family unit. Thanks for sharing!!

:thumbup: Great story.

One minor detail....

... went to Latvija to meet Liana.
...little girl from Latvija, that claims to be only American. We will see if she starts speaking Latvijan...

There is no "j" in Latvia. :biggrin:

My last name is Berzins. I'm the first generation of my family born in America. My family is from Riga, Latvia.

Very cool of you to open up your home and your heart to Liana.

EDIT: I should clarify. There is no "j" if you're typing in English. :lol: If you happen to be typing in Latvian then yes there would be a "j". :Doh:

Edited by NorCaliBu

Thanks for all the replies guyes, @Malibunation Yea we are all a little bit excited. I will be posting up more as time goes on. The rest of us are enjoying the growth of this little girl from Latvija, that claims to be only American. We will see if she starts speaking Latvijan again when Liga gets here. :whistle:

Great to hear, are you now going to be adopting liga?

:thumbup: Great story.

One minor detail....

There is no "j" in Latvia. :biggrin:

My last name is Berzins. I'm the first generation of my family born in America. My family is from Riga, Latvia.

Very cool of you to open up your home and your heart to Liana.

EDIT: I should clarify. There is no "j" if you're typing in English. :lol: If you happen to be typing in Latvian then yes there would be a "j". :Doh:

I started using the Latvijan spelling while I was there. It is a reminder for the language issues that Liana is going through, it helps me slow down.

I started using the Latvijan spelling while I was there. It is a reminder for the language issues that Liana is going through, it helps me slow down.

:thumbup: Have you learned to speak any Latvijan?

:woot: I have been meaning to post this for a few days now. Our adopted daughter learnded to knee board earler this week! :yahoo: For those who don't know any of the story, almost exactly a year ago my wife and I along with our three bio kids went to Latvija to meet Liana. We stayed in a very small apartment (2 bd 1/2 ba) in the orphanage with her and lived as a family for almost three weeks.

During those three weeks we would go to the lake that was accross the street from the orphanage to "swim" Liana would splash around in knee deep water at most, nothing more. When we left we had to leave her there, :rant: paper work on the US side! :Frustrated: . We were finally able to bring her home on December 21.

When spring arrived and the water started to warm, I took her to the boat launch in the neighborhood and started to try to get her into the water. She was wearing a life jacket, wet suit and holding a type IV life preserver. She would go into waist deep water and get wet but that was all. That is where she would stay unitl about two weeks ago. We kept taking her out on the boat and getting her wet onthe sand bar, the first time we did this the boat was anchered and I was standing at the bow in knee deep water, Liana was scared....ok terified of the water, she could see the bottom and my feet but she was still scared, it took about 10 to 15 minuets to get her off the boat. When her feet touched the bottom she was off and running and playing (life jacket on) and getting wet, getting comfortable in the water. This went on for a few weeks, last week we were stoped in a cove and she wanted to get in and float with Poppie, we did this and she was ok as long as I was holding her (we both had life jackets on). On the way home while I was getting the truck, she and our teenage son "swam" together. (Payton 15 is her big scary play thing, her favorite toy) On the next trip out, two days later, she jumped off the back of the boat. Almost didn't get to go boarding that day as she didn't want to stop juming. Two days later she dove off the back of the boat with some friends.

About two days after learning to dive we took her out and she tied to knee board. She got scared being back there alone and we stoped, next trip out (two days) :thumbup: she tried againg and was able to get up. Almost didn't get to go boarding that day either as every other turn was to be hers. :innocent: We convinced her that we all wanted to take a turn. On her next turn she was able to get out of the wake.

The amount of growth and change that she has shown over the summer so far is amazing, the determination to learn, just blows my mind. I can't wait to see what the rest of the summer brings, what the years to come bring.

Thanks for listning. Forgot the camera so we dont have any pics sorry :Frustrated:

She has asked twice so far this morning to go on the boat. :woot:

Very inspirational, It is so awesome that you are there to make a difference in her life, Thanks so much for sharing!!

:thumbup: Have you learned to speak any Latvijan?

A little but now much, we all picked up some while we were in Latvija but I have lost most of mine. We will see how much Liana still knows when Liga gets here next month. They will be able to talk to each other in Latvijan. We also meet with other adoptive families from Latvija on a monthly basis so the kids can talk to each other and the parents can support each other.

Great to hear, are you now going to be adopting liga?

We can't adopt Liga, she has aged out of the system (18). She was in the same orphanage as Liana and she was able to help us out a lot with translation. We stayed in contact while we were waiting for paperwork to get finished and when Susan went back for the second trip and stayed for 5 weeks Susan and Liga became friends. Since we cannot adopt Liga we have gotten her enrolled at the local community collage in English for now and will be hosting her for at least one year. Liga wants to get a degree so we are expecting her to be with us for up to 7 years (that is the longest we can keep getting her student visas).

We will see what the future brings for Liga, I already think of her as my daughter but it will be different because of her age.