Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bolster seat options

Fman

One of the few items I dont like about my VLX is the bolster seat is very low and difficult to see over the bow when towing someone, especially with all the debris in the water in Nor-Cal right now. Is anyone else experiencing this? and is there any items you would recommend putting on top of the bolster to use other than a few folded towels?

Thanks....Travis

I don't have the bolster seat, but we use one of the throwable floating devises that are square and about 2 inches tall. My girlfriend would like to be a bit higher. They fit in the seat nicely and don't bunch up like a towel, not sure if they would work with a bolster seat or not?

One of the few items I dont like about my VLX is the bolster seat is very low and difficult to see over the bow when towing someone, especially with all the debris in the water in Nor-Cal right now. Is anyone else experiencing this? and is there any items you would recommend putting on top of the bolster to use other than a few folded towels?

Thanks....Travis

Coming from a Nautique it is very different. My wife loves it as it fits her perfectly though. Windshield hits me in the middle of my line of sight with bolster down and with it up I am eating bugs. Problem solved though...I ski or drink, wife drives.

• Like 2

You could remove the seat bottom, insert just about anything, almost any height, and then put the seat bottom back down. Make it permanent once you have it figured out.

I think it depends on how tall you are. I don't really want to be looking over the top of the windshield unless it's 90+ degrees out (rarely).

my wife is 5 ft nothing so same issue. I put in 2" X 3/4 inch tubing to raise seat and works perfect......

I use the throwable seat cushion. In CA you are required to have one readily available anyway so it also works as a great place to store it. You could use two of the seat cushions if you wanted.

I removed the seat, added 3/4", 4" tubing and used longer bolts. It is as sturdy as stock, had no issues in 2+ years of use.

my wife is 5 ft nothing so same issue. I put in 2" X 3/4 inch tubing to raise seat and works perfect......

:plus1: I also went with a 4" lift.

I have the same issue in my LSV. Even with the bolster seat up, my wife uses a throw cushion.

Anyone have photos of the seat lift modifications? That could be my 2011-2012 winter project.

If anyone has some pics please post them up on your seat modification, after spending another week on the water having to kneel on the Bolster seat I really want to get this seat lifted up. I am also considering having my upholstry guy make me a large bolster seat to fit into the seat area. Unfortunately, I would loose a lot of back support if I did this.... I cant figure out why Malibu has such a low seat, I really like to be above the windshield when towing people so I can see any obstacle in the water. I need the seat about 6" higher when the bolster is up to get it set where it feels high enough for me.

Edited by Fman

It could have a lot to do with your body type and overall height. For example, I'm 6 ft tall and look well over the windshield if I use the bolster. Granted that I have short legs and a very long torso. So the lower seat actually works fantastic for my build. But my wife is 5'3" and she flips up the bolster and sits on one leg.

Hey Fman: I am 6 ft 1 and my seat in our 2006 lsv was too low, even with the bolster up. I came across a post here where another BU member raised his seat. So I set out to do the same. I removed my seat and the lower seat base. I took it to a fabrication shop and they recreated my base, but added 4 inches. I re installed it and this height worked out great. When the bolster is up my head is totally above the windshield. Cost me 90.00 at the fab shop. A little spendy, but it looks factory and is rock solid. Well worth the money.

post-15091-072029500 1308539173_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Hey Fman: I am 6 ft 1 and my seat in our 2006 lsv was too low, even with the bolster up. I came across a post here where another BU member raised his seat. So I set out to do the same. I removed my seat and the lower seat base. I took it to a fabrication shop and they recreated my base, but added 4 inches. I re installed it and this height worked out great. When the bolster is up my head is totally above the windshield. Cost me 90.00 at the fab shop. A little spendy, but it looks factory and is rock solid. Well worth the money.

Thats perfect, thanks for the picture.... I am going to have to find a shop that can fab up something like this. Assuming that is aluminum?

It could have a lot to do with your body type and overall height. For example, I'm 6 ft tall and look well over the windshield if I use the bolster. Granted that I have short legs and a very long torso. So the lower seat actually works fantastic for my build. But my wife is 5'3" and she flips up the bolster and sits on one leg.

I have a muted body, my pants pull up to my chest :crazy: , guess its matter of preference... have had others driving the boat that have the same issues with not being able to see..... this is only a problem when towing a skier because of the bow rise, especially at the 18-19 mph range.

The shop I found chose to make the part out of stainless steel. Aluminum more than likely would have been cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

For the guys who added height to their seats without the help of a machine shop...It seems to me the most logical place to add height is at the bottom?

Does the black vinyl protector thingy then get in the way or will it mount up just fine?

post-13782-066426800 1309991619_thumb.jp

Edited by TallRedRider

Under the black plastic shell at the bottom is the sliding mechanism. So you'd have to uncover it & see about lifting from under that too.

Besides, aren't you like 6'7" anyway? What do you want to see over the tower too? :rofl:

I'm 6'1" & find that I can see over the windshield fine if I'm towing over about 22 mph. Also helps the bow rise if I have my lead (280 lbs) placed in the bow.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • 9 months later...

I got a guy I know who has a machine shop make my seat lift. I spent the summer with a couple of pieces of deck wood under the seat to raise it up. I think this looks nicer. He anodized it black and then laser inscribed 'Malibu' on it. He made one extra. I told him there may or may not be a market for this sort of thing. Anyone who wants the other one, let me know.

Here is what the new one looks like before it was installed, and it is next to the old one.

2012-03-31173605.jpg

And here are a couple pics once installed:

2012-04-06133151.jpg

2012-04-06133210.jpg

Nice job mate. Looks factory!! Having just bent my drive shaft after hitting a submerged log it couldn't see, this is definitely something I want to look at. I assume it would not be cost effective to ship that to Australia - any chance you can send through the measurements? Is it made of steel or aluminium ? Thanks :)

I got a guy I know who has a machine shop make my seat lift. I spent the summer with a couple of pieces of deck wood under the seat to raise it up. I think this looks nicer. He anodized it black and then laser inscribed 'Malibu' on it. He made one extra. I told him there may or may not be a market for this sort of thing. Anyone who wants the other one, let me know.

Here is what the new one looks like before it was installed, and it is next to the old one.

2012-03-31173605.jpg

And here are a couple pics once installed:

2012-04-06133151.jpg

2012-04-06133210.jpg

How many inches is it looks like 6in. I like it how much is he asking for them.

How many inches is it looks like 6in. I like it how much is he asking for them.

It is 8 inches high. He is going to put the other base up for auction on Ebay. When he gets it listed, I will post a reference to it.

I suspect it will be around $100.

8 inches looks like it would be too tall. I would think 4-6 would be a little better but I'll let you know when I pick mine up. I am short so I might need the 8" one...haha we can't all be 6'+

• Like 1