Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

This was almost a cool story

LS-One

I've been toying with the idea of perhaps letting my VLX go and buying and older skier. Since selling our houseboat we don't get out as much and I didn't want the VLX to continue to depreciate at a faster rate then an older skier would. While cruising Craigslist I found a 91 Malibu Euro F3 and I couldn't believe my eyes. It was my first BU that my wife and I ordered in 91. It was the same owner I sold it to in 96, he just recently bought an XTI. Being really excited I went to look at it yesterday. The boat is trashed, I was so bummed !

It needs to be wet sanded entirely and a fair amount of gel coat repair.

Entire interior replaced vinyl and carpet.

Rub rail replaced.

Glove box cover missing.

Trailer in dyer need of painting and re-carpet.

Guages replaced from sun damage.

I could go on and on.

I'm not in the market for a project boat, plus I'm thinking at least 5K to get it pimped.

I guess I'll keep what I got.

Boat Trust me the pictures don't do it justice. :cry:

That sucks

I sold my 90 skier a little over a year ago and just saw it listed on CL yesterday.

Either the guy took a bad picture or it may be the same situation :(

It was a very clean boat for it's age when we sold it.

If finances aren't an issue you almost HAVE to buy it!!! That would be such a cool story! I say buy it, you practically owe it to the boat to see her back in good condition!

That does suck. So close... yet so far away.

My first inboard was a 94 MC 205. Back before they put towers & ballast system on boats, we modded the 205 with a tower & some ballast, plus a stereo, heater from Heatercraft R&D, custom walk-thru seat, fiberglass swimstep, etc. Enjoyed the boat for 7 yrs. Only issue I ever had with it was a vapor lock problem that Skidim helped me solve. Sold it for $17k about 6 yrs ago.

Last summer I ran across the boat on my own home lake. I happened to be paddling the SUP at the time so I had to go over & see what had changed. The guy I sold it to was standing right there. I asked him about it. He had it listed in CL for $21k.... with a new motor & heater. I asked what happened with the old one & he said they both cracked in the winter. I felt like "WHAT AN IDIOT?!" :Doh:

I had the boat setup so that you could drain everything in like 5 minutes, just open a few things & done. Heatercraft had sold me a dual core, 5 vent heater out of their R&D dept. The boat had more heat than a cabin cruiser! And this guy had pulled it all & replaced it with a regular 2 vent heater.

He had also replaced the pylon & removed all the ballast. It was back to stock shape, a basic slalom boat again. For $4k more than he paid for it.

Anyway, the boat never did sell. He's still sitting on it, fresh engine, fading in the weather. Really sucks to see that.

I've thought about taking M-dude and my secretary's advice and offering 3K.

Edited by LS-One

I've thought about taking M-dude and my secretary's advice and offering 3K.

So if your not prepared to do the project on your own, maybe have someone else do it for you?

So if your not prepared to do the project on your own, maybe have someone else do it for you?

I would have Chee do the interior. He thought about $1700.00

I can do the rest I don't know when I would find the time though.

Where do you find a glove box door for a 91 Euro skier ? It's parts like this I would be most concerned about locating. The Merced Malibu plant is only two miles from my office but I know they don't support older boat parts.

Edited by LS-One

Yea, might be an issue. Maybe make a mold of it from another boat's glovebox door? What do you suppose the chances are of the mold still being at the factory? Slim? Or none?

Year before last, I stopped and looked at our first boat ( '98 Cobat 190) that was in a lot down the street. It was also trashed - I felt so guilty selling it to a family that beat it like and old horse :horse: . Also, the guy running the lot was our original sales/demo guy of that boat.

I stopped in to visit him again months later and he told me that he told the owner to come get the boat, because it wasn't in nice enough condition to compete with the other boats on his lot (or something to that fact).

It's just so sad when you have taken such pride of ownership of something, sell it and see it become...yuk.

some people :no: :no: :no:

It's just so sad when you have taken such pride of ownership of something, sell it and see it become...yuk.

some people :no: :no: :no:

That is such a true statement. I like to buy used and search hard for things that are well maintained by someone who takes this type of pride in ownership. I found it in my BU and plan on providing it with even better treatment than it previously received. :thumbup:

If I were you, LS-One, and had the time, money, and resources I would buy it. It's pretty damn cool from a nostalgic point of view.

Edited by inlandlaker
martinarcher

That is such a true statement. I like to buy used and search hard for things that are well maintained by someone who takes this type of pride in ownership. I found it in my BU and plan on providing it with even better treatment than it previously received. :thumbup:

If I were you, LS-One, and had the time, money, and resources I would buy it. It's pretty damn cool from a nostalgic point of view.

That's how I roll!

LS-One - that would be too cool to get your first Bu back. Would you have Chee bring her back to like new stock, or update the interior a bit? I think it would be an awesome project to chip away at. Thumbup.gif

Okay, nostalgia aside.

Would you really enjoy that boat like you used to after having that beautiful custom VLX for so long? It would be cool, yes, but the complete lack of space, rough/wet ride (have to pick your outings much more carefully), seats that are almost on the floor, etc.

You may, I don't know. Just something to think about.

Take a ride in a friends Skier or Response and decide. Otherwise if you guys make the trip here this summer, I'll take you out in my beat up old Echelon for a refresher.

Just buy it and keep 'em both. :thumbup: Then you don't have to hurry getting it back to proper.

Edited by jk13

Okay, nostalgia aside.

Would you really enjoy that boat like you used to after having that beautiful custom VLX for so long? It would be cool, yes, but the complete lack of space, rough/wet ride (have to pick your outings much more carefully), seats that are almost on the floor, etc.

Bingo! Even though my wife is onboard if the price is right, she has had some back problems and this discussion has come up.

You may, I don't know. Just something to think about.

Take a ride in a friends Skier or Response and decide. Otherwise if you guys make the trip here this summer, I'll take you out in my beat up old Echelon for a refresher.

Just buy it and keep 'em both. :thumbup: Then you don't have to hurry getting it back to proper.

Tempting

That's how I roll!

LS-One - that would be too cool to get your first Bu back. Would you have Chee bring her back to like new stock, or update the interior a bit? I think it would be an awesome project to chip away at. Thumbup.gif

I would want it as close to stock as possible.

I forgot to mention I took my own build pics of the boat through the whole process, unfortunately I gave them away with the boat.

I say buy it, not often you get a second chance at a boat you factory ordered 20 years ago.

Ditto, you simply have to buy her back. You HAVE to! It's boat code, read your manual.

Ditto, you simply have to buy her back. You HAVE to! It's boat code, read your manual.

:rofl:

I just shot off an email offering $3K I know they are leaving for a weeks vacation though.

I just shot off an email offering $3K I know they are leaving for a weeks vacation though.

Perfect! I hope they accept and you can have your boat back and be able to once again treat as though it's supposed to be treated.

When you get it I will give you $13k for your VLX... You are now $10k richer :rockon:

Man a boat that age thats been trashed, I'd take a really good look at those floors and stringers, that could blow your budget in a hurry.