Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel

What is the true effect of not having added Stabil or some other fuel additive over the off-season? I neglected to add anything last fall and am finally going to be able to get the boat out this weekend and I'm wondering if I need to pump out last season's fuel or if it will be fine? Is there a product that can be added at this point that would do the same thing?

Any advice would be great!

why doesn't this show up in the New Content panel...?

oh cool, now it does...

Edited by Calimali2

What is the true effect of not having added Stabil or some other fuel additive over the off-season? I neglected to add anything last fall and am finally going to be able to get the boat out this weekend and I'm wondering if I need to pump out last season's fuel or if it will be fine? Is there a product that can be added at this point that would do the same thing?

Any advice would be great!

I wouldn't worry about pumping it out. I would top it off with premium though to raise the octane level back up. Octane deteriorates over time if no stabil is added.

One of the effects is condensation, or water buildup in the tank... and it's even worse if your using ethanol laced gas. I'm not sure which would be better, Stabil or a gas dryer. But I'd definitely do one or the other, plus top it off with fresh gas.

Looks like a carbed boat, so there is a reasonable chance the fuel evaporated in the float bowls and left you with the leftovers (grime and debris), all of which are a recipe for a carb clean/rebuild and possibly a poor running boat. Not a big job, but usually the small passages get plugged up. The long term evaporation will have changed the fuel, as mentioned, it will be low octane now, so certainly add premium. At a minimum remove the water separator and empty that or simply replace it.

martinarcher

Looks like a carbed boat, so there is a reasonable chance the fuel evaporated in the float bowls and left you with the leftovers (grime and debris), all of which are a recipe for a carb clean/rebuild and possibly a poor running boat. Not a big job, but usually the small passages get plugged up. The long term evaporation will have changed the fuel, as mentioned, it will be low octane now, so certainly add premium. At a minimum remove the water separator and empty that or simply replace it.

Right on. That's the dangerous part. You don't want low octane fuel because it can lead to detonation and possibly engine damage. Moisture and debris cause a crappy running engine, but low octane fuel can harm the engine. Follow Woodski's advice and you'll be good to go. Thumbup.gif