Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting rid of smelly carpet?

I have tried everything I can think of to remove the "stink" that comes off the carpet everytime it gets wet ... does anyone know of any products or found anything that would "ease the smell"? Thanks.

I used Fabric softener to not only fluff the carpet but it got the funky smell to go away...

I have tried everything I can think of to remove the "stink" that comes off the carpet everytime it gets wet ... does anyone know of any products or found anything that would "ease the smell"? Thanks.

leave it in the sun and keep the carpet clean.

• 2 years later...

Bleach.

I'm not kidding.

Hi Pete. Would love to know a bit more on dilution, type, duration of soak. Could you let me know? Thanks

Dave

Pete's method works. This is how I used to do it: take a garden sprayer & fill it with water with just a small amount of bleach, like maybe a capful. Spray down the carpet with it, then rinse it with your garden hose (or hit it with the pressure washer to fluff it up). Suck up the excess with your choice, Bissel, shopvac, whatever. Let it dry in the sun & you'll be good to go.

The whole process works best if you use a Little Green on it first to actually clean the carpet, then hit it with the bleach solution.