Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wheel Bearing and hub temps?

I'm having an issue on my Extreme trailer with my 2000 Wakesetter. I have replaced all the bearings and seals on both axles. I have the bearing buddy things that came on the trailer, they expose a blue ring when full of grease. The issue is I have had a few of these come off the rotor going down the road. Normally the wheel center cap catches them. I drive them back into the hub, and 20 miles later they are loose/free again. The trailer has disc brakes on both axles. The wheels are very hot to the touch. Can anyone tell me what temp they should run when they are ok? I plan on buying a infrared temp gun to check them with. I was using Citgo Marine plus grease. I have pulled the bearings down and checked them. They weren't overtighten, they seemed correct. I pump the bearing full of grease before I go to the lake. Could the grease be expanding and popping the bearing buddies off? My grease is rated to 250F. Is that too low for use with the disc brakes?

There has to be something I'm doing wrong?

I'm having an issue on my Extreme trailer with my 2000 Wakesetter. I have replaced all the bearings and seals on both axles. I have the bearing buddy things that came on the trailer, they expose a blue ring when full of grease. The issue is I have had a few of these come off the rotor going down the road. Normally the wheel center cap catches them. I drive them back into the hub, and 20 miles later they are loose/free again. The trailer has disc brakes on both axles. The wheels are very hot to the touch. Can anyone tell me what temp they should run when they are ok? I plan on buying a infrared temp gun to check them with. I was using Citgo Marine plus grease. I have pulled the bearings down and checked them. They weren't overtighten, they seemed correct. I pump the bearing full of grease before I go to the lake. Could the grease be expanding and popping the bearing buddies off? My grease is rated to 250F. Is that too low for use with the disc brakes?

There has to be something I'm doing wrong?

Your disc brakes might be dragging. Look for signs of disc brake dust on a wheel. If a brake is dragging - one possibility is that the floating caliper is not sliding freely on the slide pins due to dirt/corosion.