Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter / wakesetter DD top speed

R1LOVER

Since others were asking about top speeds of malibu boats I thought I would check min on our test run yesterday.

I thought it was about 44 or so from memory but manage to hit 47 via gps.

What prop and motor are you running. I either have something wrong with my Bu, or my speedo's (PP) need to be calabrated. :crazy:

What elevation are you at? I was only able to hit 43 last time I used the GPS. I have a monsoon 325, and a 13x13 four blade oj. My elevation was 4200'

I will say that while comparing top speeds of Echelons with similar motors and props, there seems to be a 3-4mph difference across the board. All boats seem to be running well and tuned properly.

Keep in mind that GM (and all) engines are required only to be within a certain percentage of hp rating (10% IIRC). So with a 250hp rating, some may be as little as 225, while others may be closer to 275. Luck of the draw. Also, with the harsh environment boats provide, it's not hard to lose small percentages of power over a short period of time.

Hearing some stories from my Father-in-law as to on what goes on in some subsidiary production plants, I have no doubt there are parts on vehicles that are right at the minimum allowance.

R1Lover has a strong boat.

tigercity at that elevation, that's probably right.

Edited by jk13

My SLXi will run 44mph on the gps. Thats with tower and bimini. I am turning a 13X11.5 OJ XMP. The oem stainless ran a little faster. One of these days I will take the tower off and see what kind of speed I can get with out it. Its got to be quite a bit of drag. On second thought, that would be a lot of work. I very seldom run over 36 mph anyway. Just run WOT everynow and then to blow the cobwebs out.

What were you doing boating 47mph at 12:55am? :whistle:

My '98 Sunsetter LX with 2 adults and 2 kids tops out 43-44mph. I'm running an ACME 13x11.5 3-blade. Elevation approx. 500 ft.

Edited by skiguy

I would like to know more about how to talk to singles on my mobile for free please :whistle:

Yes, me too, specifically that blonde one. I wonder what we could talk about?

I'm curious about the prop and engine too, that's moving pretty good. What RPM were you hitting?

I am only getting about 40 out of a wakesetter DD with the 320 lcr motor. The speed is not verifyed and my tack is on the PP and does not work as in most of this age. I am in Charlotte NC altitude is about 1000'.

Yea I know there is a fix for the PP face to fix the ground and bring back the tack, but the PP works and we rarely go WOT so the threat of loosing PP trying to get the tack back is keeping me from doing this.

Yes, me too, specifically that blonde one. I wonder what we could talk about?

I'm curious about the prop and engine too, that's moving pretty good. What RPM were you hitting?

That's not a regular "person"... Hint, is she does movies oriented for a certain audience :whistle:

What app is that? I didn't know something like this existed. I guess it's true - there's an app for everything

Looks like UlysseSpeedometer for Android.

Since others were asking about top speeds of malibu boats I thought I would check min on our test run yesterday.

I thought it was about 44 or so from memory but manage to hit 47 via gps.

I hit 47 mph in my XTI with stock prop and Hammerhead via GPS last summer. Lake Cumberland, so less than 1000 ft above sea level, smooth water, 2 aboard and about half fuel.

Whoops, sorry for the late reply

This was at the Afterbay, I took a day off to go test out the boat after some small repairs and two winters of sitting. The elevation is approx 180 feet or so. wind was light and did runs in both directions which produced the same results over and over. We spent about three hours running the boat, mostly cruising, but some long wide open runs as well in order to ensure all was well and running properly.

I have to give props to Malibu.... put the boat in the water, turned the key and she ran like a dream.

My wife and I were the only ones in the boat along with a nice little ice chest of cold drinks! :) It was a nice peaceful day on the water.

I had calibrated the speedo's with gps two years ago.... went for a wide open run and thought well the speedo must be off again. .... slowed down, loaded up the first GPS app I saw on the market, and then quickly found 47 MPH and some nice looking single blonde's on my phone... lol

p.s. Stock SS Prop, Stock 325 HP Monsoon :)

Edited by R1LOVER

What elevation are you at? I was only able to hit 43 last time I used the GPS. I have a monsoon 325, and a 13x13 four blade oj. My elevation was 4200'

That's about right for 4200 ft, bring her down to sea level or close and you shall see 46-47 too.