Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Lift Canopy Question ?

Backfooter100

Just installed a canopy on my Hydro-max boat lift.....

I was wondering what people who have had lift canopies do when severe weather moves in ?

Is there a estimated wind gust where you say."ok ,I need to remove the canopy from the frame and ride out the storm,or just leave it on ......hurricanes and VERY severe weather not included !

Thanks !

We have some pretty nasty storms in Northern Wisconsin and I have never taken my canopy off the lift during boating season. I have heard stories of liifts blowing away but that was when there was no boat on the lift. I would say as long as your boat is on the lift you are fine. If you are going to take yor boat off the lift for an extended period of time, then remove the canopy.

I've had mine for 15 years and never taken it off except for during the winter.

When I first got it the canopy/lift was used so I had it "re-stitched" by a local shop. They basically just put new stitching over the old stitching, so it was tight. $100. Then a few years later a massive storm with straight line winds came thru and it took the canopy with frame attached right off the mounts, sheared the bolts. Pulled it off the beach and reattached, new hardware.. A few years later another storm came thru and I watched it pick the front of the lift up about 2 feet, hover, then drop it. Did that twice. Thought I was gonna lose the whole thing, but it held on. Those were like 70mph winds, took down big oak and maple trees all over the neighborhood. 2 years ago I had small tears starting in the corners, I should have known it was at the end of its life cycle. Had the corners stitched, and a week or so later on a sunny afternoon with a south wind the canopy slowly shredded, it was toast.

So I'd say you are fine, even in the worst storm, with the obvious exception of tornadoes and hurricanes.

Never a problem.... yet. I have had my lift in from 1998 so the cover is well used and still doing fine. :whistle:

PS I have home insurance its covered.

Edited by Sixball

I just put on a canopy this summer also and have worried about the same thing. I worry though, because I have witnessed the worst case scenario. A nasty, nasty summer storm in Northern Mi (Walloon Lake) several years ago in the middle of the night. So bad that the family actually took cover. Woke up the next morning and noticed something funny about the neighbors lift. On closer look the lift, with boat on it, had been completely flipped over. It was a nice Nautiue too.

I spoke with the company that installed my lift and they said if you are real worried the best thing you can do is put down some auger pipes a couple feet into the ground on either side of the lift and then use winching straps to secure it. I figured that would look pretty ugly, so I am relying on homeowners.

never had a problem with my canopy, and I've got a pretty long one. As long as the boat is on the lift I dont think there will be a problem. I've attached my canopy to the frame with small zipties. I'd imagine that the zipties would break or pull right out of the canopy before it takes the boat and lift away. Maybe not? I hope to never test it.

I keep thinking about putting a vent or two in the top of it. They could be cut in with a flap that would allow some wind to pass through and alleviate alot of the pressure, while keeping rain out. Any thoughts on something like that??

never had a problem with my canopy, and I've got a pretty long one. As long as the boat is on the lift I dont think there will be a problem. I've attached my canopy to the frame with small zipties. I'd imagine that the zipties would break or pull right out of the canopy before it takes the boat and lift away. Maybe not? I hope to never test it.

I keep thinking about putting a vent or two in the top of it. They could be cut in with a flap that would allow some wind to pass through and alleviate alot of the pressure, while keeping rain out. Any thoughts on something like that??

:plus1: I never put the cover on if the boat is not going onto the lift. In the spring I put the boat in come back to the lift and install the cover. In the fall I pull the cover and then pull the boat.

I have seen the canopies fold up before the cover riped. I also pull my boat hi up so no big void under the cover.

Thank you for all the great replies !

just got back down to the lake and I will be putting the canopy back on tomorrow, we had some nasty weather come through here last evening , 40mph gusts, a friend of mine called me and asked if he wanted me to have him remove the canopy, I said yes, just to play it safe, but will sleep much better next week

Thanks again for all the replies !!!

Hope everyone has good weather this weekend, looks like were screwed here in the northeast for this weekend :cry:

On my parents lift back in MN we have seen some pretty good storms and have never had an issue! But as someone else said that's what insurance is for!!

MalibuNation

I've worried about it and I know it can be like Mary Poppins. I've seen lift flip with no boats and even with a boat on them ... but it's so rare. Then again I've seen storms flip a train over (on the news, not in person)

My nieghbor tore his steel lift apart and I put the steel on the frame of the boat underwater to weight it down some more b4 a big storm.

I've also heard of augering them down.