Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LSA engine overheating issues 2011 Wakesetter

So I have read a few other topics here on the site on the new LSA engine having overheating problems. I dont think it is a fluke thing,I think there is an issue. I would love for a Malibu tech or Indmar Tech to pipe in and give me the real fix for this issue. My engine overheated the first time I drove the boat before I could even hit 20 mph. In my area I have to idle about 5 minutes to get to the area in the lake where you can break wake. The first day I got the boat my temp gauge went up to 220 and the coolant warning came on. I turned around and limped it back to the dock. The technician (not a malibu technician) and I pulled all the hoses etc off while still in the water to make sure the impeller and other areas were getting water, nothing was wrong or blocked. After that we ran it again and all seemed fine. Last weekend again after idleing out to the lake and taking a few extra minutes to put up my bimini it started to exceed 200 again, so I limped it back to shore and let it cool down, tried again 1hr later and all seemed fine. However my engine never runs around 160 temp, it always seems to be running around 170-180.

Bottom line, I am gun shy and pissed that I have to worry about driving my $100K boat around starring at the temp gauge worrying if I am going to get stranded somewhere.

Is there a service bulletin or anything issued from Indmar on this?

So I have read a few other topics here on the site on the new LSA engine having overheating problems. I dont think it is a fluke thing,I think there is an issue. I would love for a Malibu tech or Indmar Tech to pipe in and give me the real fix for this issue. My engine overheated the first time I drove the boat before I could even hit 20 mph. In my area I have to idle about 5 minutes to get to the area in the lake where you can break wake. The first day I got the boat my temp gauge went up to 220 and the coolant warning came on. I turned around and limped it back to the dock. The technician (not a malibu technician) and I pulled all the hoses etc off while still in the water to make sure the impeller and other areas were getting water, nothing was wrong or blocked. After that we ran it again and all seemed fine. Last weekend again after idleing out to the lake and taking a few extra minutes to put up my bimini it started to exceed 200 again, so I limped it back to shore and let it cool down, tried again 1hr later and all seemed fine. However my engine never runs around 160 temp, it always seems to be running around 170-180.

Bottom line, I am gun shy and pissed that I have to worry about driving my $100K boat around starring at the temp gauge worrying if I am going to get stranded somewhere.

Is there a service bulletin or anything issued from Indmar on this?

Sorry to hear about your overheat issue - hope there is a simple fix. Overheat is a bad thing...would not drive it until the dealer checks it out!

-- Mike

sorry to hear about your troubles. FWIW, I've got 25hrs on my 6.0L I have never seen the temp above 165, even when running 4K of ballast. You've gotta get it back to your dealer, have them replicate the overheat and have them solve the issue. Have you talked to your dealer? What did they say?

Do you have a heater on your boat? If so, talk to your dealer to see if your boat needs a #89-99003 service kit.

Peter

My engine overheated the first time I drove the boat before I could even hit 20 mph. In my area I have to idle about 5 minutes to get to the area in the lake where you can break wake. The first day I got the boat my temp gauge went up to 220 and the coolant warning came on.

:plus1: ... same here - red coolant warning/alarm came on first day we put boat in the water - temp went back down to just above 160 but am constantly checking it now - only 15hrs on her now. :unsure:

Edited by NuBuGuy2011
jkendallmsce

Do you have a heater on your boat? If so, talk to your dealer to see if your boat needs a #89-99003 service kit.

Peter

The LSA and LS3 engines are the same, (6.2 L) aside from the supercharger. Although, it was explained to me by Indmar, it has something to do with the way water is pumped thru the engine...which is backwards from most. And the overheating problem is worse if you have a heater. Which I have. You may want to call and talk to JT at Inmdar.

Our LS3 had (may still have) the same problem. So I understand your concerns. Malibu installed a booster pump last fall. Not sure if it is the part number Peter was kind enough to provide, but probably is what Malibu installed on our boat. This will be the first weekend to run it, so I will let you know how it works. SInce there was no paperwork supplied by Malibu when we picked the boat up, I can't verify what part number/12V booster pump was actually installed. I can send a pic if you'd like.

Our boat never made it past 200-205 F, by then the alarms were going off and I would rev it up to 2000 rpm a couple of times and the engine temp would drop right back to the correct operating temp.

I plan on installing valves to shut off the flow to the heater, so during the summer months, it is one less thing to worry about.

The problem is exacerbated if there is some idle time/5 mph no wake zone and when first being run that day. I don't recall it ever happening after the engine had reached operating temp.

Initially I was told by Indmar to rev it up a couple of times, and that would take care of the problem. It did for me, but was not exactly the "fix" I was looking for. Specially after spending that kinda money!! ha ha

Edited by jkendallmsce

sorry to hear about your troubles. FWIW, I've got 25hrs on my 6.0L I have never seen the temp above 165, even when running 4K of ballast. You've gotta get it back to your dealer, have them replicate the overheat and have them solve the issue. Have you talked to your dealer? What did they say?

Dealer has yet to resond to me from a few weeks ago. go figure, grab the cash and run.............

The LSA and LS3 engines are the same, (6.0 L) aside from the supercharger. Although, it was explained to me by Indmar, it has something to do with the way water is pumped thru the engine...which is backwards from most. And the overheating problem is worse if you have a heater. Which I have. You may want to call and talk to JT at Inmdar.

Our LS3 had (may still have) the same problem. So I understand your concerns. Malibu installed a booster pump last fall. Not sure if it is the part number Peter was kind enough to provide, but probably is what Malibu installed on our boat. This will be the first weekend to run it, so I will let you know how it works. SInce there was no paperwork supplied by Malibu when we picked the boat up, I can't verify what part number/12V booster pump was actually installed. I can send a pic if you'd like.

Our boat never made it past 200-205 F, by then the alarms were going off and I would rev it up to 2000 rpm a couple of times and the engine temp would drop right back to the correct operating temp.

I plan on installing valves to shut off the flow to the heater, so during the summer months, it is one less thing to worry about.

The problem is exacerbated if there is some idle time/5 mph no wake zone and when first being run that day. I don't recall it ever happening after the engine had reached operating temp.

Initially I was told by Indmar to rev it up a couple of times, and that would take care of the problem. It did for me, but was not exactly the "fix" I was looking for. Specially after spending that kinda money!! ha ha

That is crazy that Inmar does not supply a manual on this new engine with all the specific specs etc for it, I was dissapointed it is the same manual from older Sunscape.

Not the "fix" I want to hear either. Send me a pic if you get a chance, I appreciate your information and it is very helpful

Peter

I do have a heater. I will make note of this kit #. I appreciate your info as well

:plus1: ... same here - red coolant warning/alarm came on first day we put boat in the water - temp went back down to just above 160 but am constantly checking it now - only 15hrs on her now. :unsure:

Is that not the craziest thing? First time in the water by yourself on your brand new ride and smoke bombs, sirens, bells and whistles start going off. What a great feeling.

Funny how it never happens to the dealer when they water test the boat before delivery, only when you get the friends and family packed up and out in the middle of the lake!

I hope you get your issue resolved as well. There is some good information from people on this topic.

jkendallmsce

I do have a heater. I will make note of this kit #. I appreciate your info as well

Peter,

the the part number you listed, is that Malibu's or Inmdar's 12 V in line pump?

The dealer installed something last November, but since there was no paper work when we picked the boat up showing what all was done, I have no idea.

And any experience as to how well it works?

We took the boat out this weekend, and had the same overheating problem as we did last year. Temp goes up to 200, the alarm goes off, a few revs up to 2000 rpm and the temp drops back to normal operating temp.

We have about a 1 mile 5 mph zone to go thru, til we can get going...and that seems to be the biggest problem as to why it overheats.

[quote name='jkendallmsce' timestamp='1307722266' post=

Don't do that. There has to flow between the heater inlet and outlet fittings for the cooling system to function properly. If you do you will surely get an overheat. The pump kit that Peter mentioned is a Malibu item and it helps push air that can get trapped in the heater core through the system. Air bubbles trapped in the heater core prevent water flow through the hearer circuit and back to the engine. To properly take the heater out of the circuit, you have to connect the heater inlet and outlet with a short piece of.hose.

jkendallmsce

Don't do that. There has to flow between the heater inlet and outlet fittings for the cooling system to function properly. If you do you will surely get an overheat. The pump kit that Peter mentioned is a Malibu item and it helps push air that can get trapped in the heater core through the system. Air bubbles trapped in the heater core prevent water flow through the hearer circuit and back to the engine. To properly take the heater out of the circuit, you have to connect the heater inlet and outlet with a short piece of.hose.

Since the heater hose outlet and inlet are next to each other, can you disconnect both hoses at the manifold and install a u shaped hose? SO it would exit the manifold and re-enter, vs exiting the manifold and traveling to the heater and back.

The pump kit you are talking about, was installed on the boat last fall, and the so far does not work. Both trips thru the 1 mile long 5 mph zone this weekend, the engine overheated. I had to put it in neutral and rev it up to 2000 a few times to get (I guess what you are saying...purge the air outta the system??) the water temp to drop back to the operating temp of 165.

The LSA and LS3 engines are the same, (6.0 L) aside from the supercharger. Although, it was explained to me by Indmar, it has something to do with the way water is pumped thru the engine...which is backwards from most. And the overheating problem is worse if you have a heater. Which I have. You may want to call and talk to JT at Inmdar.

off the flow to the heater, so during the summer months, it is one less thing to worry about.

Nope. Check your specs. I have the 6.0. He has the supercharged 6.2... Same same as what's in the corvette or caddy...completely different engines...

jkendallmsce

Nope. Check your specs. I have the 6.0. He has the supercharged 6.2... Same same as what's in the corvette or caddy...completely different engines...

I miss typed on the original comment. ooops.

Check the GM site out. The engines, LS3 and the L96 are the exact same engine aside from the supercharger. Same displacement, same everything. same Aluminum block, ......

Not sure what the 6.0 you are referencing, but the LS3 is 6.2 L, same as the L96.

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/Libraries/Marine_Engines/LSA_6_2L_V-8_SC_Marine.sflb.ashx

Edited by jkendallmsce
  • 4 weeks later...

The overheat thing is crazy. Here’s my “fix”.

You have to get the engine revs up to get the water pumping to purge the air. My brilliantly engineered, state of the art, supercharged engine does not have the ability to rev in neutral. I also have a 5 minute idle to fast water. My engine runs at 165.

If it goes past 175 while idling I know it’s going all the way to 200 + where the alarms start.

My solution is to put the boat in reverse, then give it a few hard pumps with the throttle. Temp goes right back down.

Stupid, I know but I don’t have a choice. Probably the most annoying thing is a “reminder” alarm goes off every ten minutes or so that you had an overheat problem and need to “see the dealer”. This happens 3 or 4 times then stops.

So I have a 2011 23 lsv with the l96 motor, is it a 6.0 or a 6.2 and does it have overheating issues?? I have 19 hours and no problems but I would like to know if this can be a problem??

So I have a 2011 23 lsv with the l96 motor, is it a 6.0 or a 6.2 and does it have overheating issues?? I have 19 hours and no problems but I would like to know if this can be a problem??

I think it is most prevalent if you have the heater option. If it has not done it yet you’re probably ok.

It is a 6 liter. One thing to watch for is if you smell something burning, and it smells like rubber or plastic, check your exhaust hoses where they hook on to the catylitic converter on the manifold. Mine pluged at 28 hrs and now the boat is sitting in the shop, waiting for new exhaust manifolds. 2 others in my area have the same problem.

Hi,

I live in Canada and i have the same problem. My dealer tell me That i am the first person That hapen. I think That malibu don't know how to made the repair.

I change the little 12 volt pump and my problem are ok about 2 week and come back. The first pump was Install in the wrong side by malibu.

And now i bypass m'y heater whit a hose and my temp is 160 to 175.

Im angry because i pay for the heater option and im not able to use it.

stef

Hi,

I live in Canada and i have the same problem. My dealer tell me That i am the first person That hapen. I think That malibu don't know how to made the repair.

I change the little 12 volt pump and my problem are ok about 2 week and come back. The first pump was Install in the wrong side by malibu.

And now i bypass m'y heater whit a hose and my temp is 160 to 175.

Im angry because i pay for the heater option and im not able to use it.

stef

Stef, i posted in your other thread. You are not the only person to have this issue. It is very common so far with any supercharged boats with the heater.

• 2 years later...

I am having the same problem with my 2011 Supra fitted with a 6.0lt Indmar engine. Experience overheating when the boat is first launched. Overheats to 208 degrees while idling in the "No Wake" zone. Local dealer have been advised about this from new. They have tried repleacing the thermostat and bypassing the heater system, but still no joy!!! Any solution to this problem???

I miss typed on the original comment. ooops.

Check the GM site out. The engines, LS3 and the L96 are the exact same engine aside from the supercharger. Same displacement, same everything. same Aluminum block, ......

Not sure what the 6.0 you are referencing, but the LS3 is 6.2 L, same as the L96.

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/Libraries/Marine_Engines/LSA_6_2L_V-8_SC_Marine.sflb.ashx

I realize this is a 3 year old thread that was brought back up for a question on a different engine, but this statement is totally false. First, I realize you are referring to the LSA as an L96 (which is the 6.0L motor). The LSA is NOT an LS3 with a supercharger attached:

- Different blocks. They may both have the same displacement, but the blocks have a lot of differences. LSA and LS9 have the same block.

- Forged crank in the LSA

- Stronger PM rods in the LSA

- Lower compression pistons with oil squirters in the LSA

- Different cam profile

- Similar heads to the LS3, but cast from a different alloy with a few other modifications to the head

- Different fuel system, slightly different ignition system, stronger oil pump system

The LSA is not a LS3 with a supercharger slapped on it. The designs are similar but many components of the longblock are different.