Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trying to waterproof cover

Ok, I have been trying to waterproof the cover on my 04 Wakesetter, it is a Rankin cover. I followed the instructions on the 303 fabric guard, washed the cover , rinsed etc... sprayed the 303 on with a hand pump sprayer, first coat in full sunlight, let it dry, second coat same thing, we have been getting lots of rain lately, for the first couple days the water beaded off nice, but now most of the cover is not beading, just looks wet again arrrrr :cry: I tried to do this last year also, didn't work that time either, but i only had enough 303 then for 1 coat. Now the fabric on my cover is more like canvas, thicker fabricky feel and look to it than my buddies newer covers, theirs are more of a smoother slippery type of fabric, am I using the right stuff or is there something else I should be doing or trying? Thanks

In a heavy rain the fabric will stop beading and top will saturate

Mine has done it from day one

But still prevents water from getting to the underside

You can't have a waterproof cover that breezes , water repeller yes

Oh and I treat it with 303 ever year

I had the SAME EXACT experience for my 04 wakesetter. This boat was new to me this year, and I tried not to buy a canopy for my lift til the end of the year.

I washed my cover at the laundrymat, then laid it out in the sun, and sprayed 2 coats of 303 fabric guard on it. Half the 32 oz bottle, and the rest 15-20 mins later.

I put the boat in the water, and of course the second night it rains, and pretty much the next 5 out of 7 nights. The cover seemed to do ok on the outside, but every time I took the cover off, it was wet here and there on the inside. To make it worse, all sorts of nasty black flakes where coming from god knows where. To the cover's defense, we did have downpours.

So I sprang and decided to just get a canopy for my lift. I put that on about 1.5 weeks ago, and of course since then it hasn't rain ONCE. Typical.

So, to the OP, did both of us do something wrong waterproofing? My cover seems to bead water in spots, but not all spots. Also, whereever the cover touches the boat, the water would bleed through the cover, like the bow rails, the poles, ski pole, etc..

I disagree WMHappy. A new evolution cover is nice if you have the cash. I can't afford that amount every 4-5 years. I think we're all looking for a cover that lasts longer or is able to be re-waterproofed.

My newest cover (not sunbrella, but a coated breathable material) only went 5 summers in the sun before it lost it's repellancy. It still looked new but my boat was soaked every time it rained. Now I've pulled out my old sunbrella cover and am going to paint on the 303(or maybe something else after reading this). Hope it lasts another 5 years because it looks like new too. If it still doesn't work, I'll be buying a new $700 cover every 5 years.

They make a wash-in waterproofer. REI sells it. I think both Nikwax and Grainger's make it. Wash Cover with it. Put it dryer. I used it on some rain jackets that weren't "waterproof."

If you have access to a big enough washer and dryer. The stuff I used needs a dryer to "activate" the chemical.

In a heavy rain the fabric will stop beading and top will saturate

Mine has done it from day one

But still prevents water from getting to the underside

You can't have a waterproof cover that breezes , water repeller yes

Yes, today it finally stopped raining and I pulled the cover off and it was actually dry :yahoo:

I have enough 303 for 1 more coat so shes gonna get it tonight