Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Difficult to take off

guga

Hi everybody.

Recently I bought a Malibu Wakesetter 21,5, VLX, indmar 409hp, 2011, with Acme 1235 (14,5x14,25) propeller.

I ride with power wedge, all the tanks full, one fatsac (550 pounds) in the front and 1650 lead distributed. There is not much weight in the back and still it isn´t taking off as fast as I wish.

Any idea?

Tks a lot!

so what is the total weight int he boat then? rears? belly 500, bow 600?

Hi everybody.

Recently I bought a Malibu Wakesetter 21,5, VLX, indmar 409hp, 2011, with Acme 1235 (14,5x14,25) propeller.

I ride with power wedge, all the tanks full, one fatsac (550 pounds) in the front and 1650 lead distributed. There is not much weight in the back and still it isn´t taking off as fast as I wish.

Any idea?

Tks a lot!

Hi everybody.

Any idea?

Tks a lot!

That is a lot of weight, 1250 lb hard tank, 1200 lbs wedge, 550 fat sac, 1650 lbs led... 4650 lbs total if my math is correct.... Not sure what more you can do with 409hp and the acme 1235, maybe trim your wedge down a little... I know when the wedge is maxed out it really takes a lot of power away from the boat.... I have found a couple clicks up from bottom with wedge really makes the wake nice and still does not take away all the holeshot.

That must be a monster wake!

Edited by Fman

Hi everybody.

Any idea?

Tks a lot!

:shocked: That is a lot of weight brother!!! Please take pictures or a video of your wake. I would love to see what it looks like.

Hi everybody.

Any idea?

Tks a lot!

Why so much weight? Are you riding 85-90 feet behind the boat?

You shouldn't need that much additional weight to get pop off the wake.

Edited by woody

are you sure you have disconnected the trailer tie down straps front and back, cause that will really mess with the performance...

on the serious side, can't help you, your new boat will have auto wedge so the wedge isn't a factor, and really a 550# plus 1,650# is not as much weight as a lot of boats run.

How many hours do you have on it?

Edited by Cervelo

on the serious side, can't help you, your new boat will have auto wedge so the wedge isn't a factor, and really a 550# plus 1,650# is not as much weight as a lot of boats run.

How many hours do you have on it?

I think he is running stock ballast tanks + 550# sac + wedge + 1650# lead. That is a lot of weight, isn't it?

I'm going to an Acme 1615 prop on my Axis to support the extra ballast. This will decrease my top speed by a lot but I'm more concerned about that wake than going fast. I was told this will help me a bunch from a guy at the factory. I am running 750's on top of the two factory 200's in the rear, I have the 400 in the center and a 950 in the nose. The Acme 1273 won't get me out of the hole as it is. If your not worried about top speed go for it one guy only 34 MPH using this prop.

:shocked: That is a lot of weight brother!!! Please take pictures or a video of your wake. I would love to see what it looks like.

He can't send a picture because he can't get on plane :biggrin:

1650# of lead...wow is that battery lead? If it is battery lead, maybe its the new hybrid Malibu:biggrin: .

How many people do you have in the boat with all of that weight?

From what I have read on this forum, that's not that much weight. I run full MLS,1250pds, 1100 in the rear, 500 under the passenger seat down one side. I was thinking of adding 400 in the nose and 400 on the seat. I run a 2006 23 lsv. When I run with the wedge up more than 2 clicks it just washes out my wake. I'm sure there are a few other BU owners that will chime in and let us know that he is not running too much weight. I use the 1939 prop on my boat with the HH and we have no problem getting going. There should be quite a few boat owners that have pitched down to get more hole shot. Anyone.......

Edited by Wake My Day

How is the lead distributed? What position do you have the wedge in for takeoff?

I have the Monsoon 350, so less power than you, with the 1235 prop and I'm running more weight. I can get it on plane, but I'll admit, getting to 23.2 mph takes probably 15-20 seconds....it's not that quick.

With my current setup I am running the wedge in the smallest wake position. I've been on a few Malibu boats that when fully weighted we would start off with the wedge in the smallest wake position, then click it two clicks up once on a plane. This helps you get going quicker but still maximizes the wake size.

The 1615 prop is the way to go if you don't run the boat around much when you're not riding. I'm on a big lake most of the time and am burning gas like there is no tomorrow whenever we have to move locations due to wind or anything else. By the way, my weight setup is stock quad ballast full (1250) About 1400-1500 lbs in the back hatches, ~700 in the bow, 350lbs in the aisle way, and 300 in the back of the cabin on the floor....plus driver, spotter, and the wedge all the way in the smallest wake position....

Good luck!

Guga, isso e brasilean rules en igarata.

Fala con Gui que ele sabe bien como afundar un barco.

Agora na verdade a malibu gosta de peso no medio do barco un poco para o bico, nao muito atras. Eu nao colocaria nada de peso atras do banco de tras ni un solo chumbo la. Eu uso no mismo barco mas con 350 HP tudos os lastros, wedge con dos pontos acima do baixo y unos 750 KG en fat sacs y 6 personas. Voce esta con mais peso mas nao deberia demorar tanto. Cuanto demora na verdade?? tenta colocar o peso no medio do barco con un poco mas no bico.

abrazo

Luciano

• 3 weeks later...

É Guga!!! Curti a resposta do cara q falou "lower the weight or your expectations" huahuahuahua !!! Você esqueceu de comentar do RPM

Hi everyone,

I know what he's talking about because we ride together in Brazil.

I have a Malibu wakesetter VLX 2008 with a hammerhead 400HP and I ride at 4050 RPMs while his boat, with a L96 410HP engine, is running at 3750-3800 RPMs after struggling to "take off". Isn't it indeed strange guys??? We are using the same propeller and he's using a more powerfull engine !!!!

It makes me doubt if Malibu is using the same transmission ratio than on 2008 models... does anyone have any idea about it ???

Does anyone knows about the torque curves of both engines ??

Thanks

gui, da uma ajuda para esos caras colocar peso no seu barco. Na verdade existe uma helice mas forte ainda. Si ele estiver interesado eu posso conseguir a OJ core prop da Axis que es bien mas forte.

abrazo

É Guga!!! Curti a resposta do cara q falou "lower the weight or your expectations" huahuahuahua !!! Você esqueceu de comentar do RPM

Hi everyone,

I know what he's talking about because we ride together in Brazil.

I have a Malibu wakesetter VLX 2008 with a hammerhead 400HP and I ride at 4050 RPMs while his boat, with a L96 410HP engine, is running at 3750-3800 RPMs after struggling to "take off". Isn't it indeed strange guys??? We are using the same propeller and he's using a more powerfull engine !!!!

It makes me doubt if Malibu is using the same transmission ratio than on 2008 models... does anyone have any idea about it ???

Does anyone knows about the torque curves of both engines ??

Thanks

Are you absolutely positive you have the same props, what are the numbers? Malibu started using some different props in 2010 from the factory.