Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

engine blower/speedo

lake_winona_nh

hi-

i just bought a 97 response and the engine blower does not work. where is it located? is it part of my heater? also 1 of my speedos doesnt work, and ideas on how to trouble shoot it?

hi-

i just bought a 97 response and the engine blower does not work. where is it located? is it part of my heater? also 1 of my speedos doesnt work, and ideas on how to trouble shoot it?

welcome to the crew.

not part of the heater.

my '04 response blower is behind the interior panel against the transom.

speedo pitot (piece that is in the water) clogged?

Follow the stuff that looks like dryer vent hose. My xti had the blower motor in the transom above the fuel tank. Your first shot at troubleshooting the speedo would be to see if the pitot tube at the rear of the boat it clogged. It is kind of a 'fin' that should be attached to a long tube right where the back of the boat meets the water.

You can get a blower at most any marine supply store or website. Many of us like one called http://www.skidim.com.

Heres a typical blower.

Their usually mounted very low in the bilge, around the motor mounts or just behind the engine.

Looks like this. Will have a black hose on either end.

2503.jpg

Usually they go out because they get wet. But you should also verify you have voltage at the wires when you turn the switch on.Any test light from an auto parts store will work for this.

Enjoy the new boat. :rockon:

Pitot tubes for the speedos looks like this:

11071.jpg

There should be a pair of them mounted on the outside of the transom, below the swimstep. They should be angled downward and are on a swivel so if they hit something they kick upward. Just push it back down. And make sure the tubes are connected & in good shape near the top of the unit.

To clear a bad obstruction, you can use a paper clip to a pin to pry out any sticks or grass. The hole is down near the end of the unit.

Typically if your speedos stop working while your skiing, you can clear them pretty easily. The next time your swinging the boat back to pick up your skier, goose the throttle in reverse a bit. Takes a pretty good shot to do it. But the sudden change in speed/direction will usually clear it out.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

You can get a blower at most any marine supply store or website. Many of us like one called http://www.skidim.com.

Heres a typical blower.

Their usually mounted very low in the bilge, around the motor mounts or just behind the engine.

Looks like this. Will have a black hose on either end.

2503.jpg

Usually they go out because they get wet. But you should also verify you have voltage at the wires when you turn the switch on.Any test light from an auto parts store will work for this.

Enjoy the new boat. :rockon:

Pitot tubes for the speedos looks like this:

11071.jpg

There should be a pair of them mounted on the outside of the transom, below the swimstep. They should be angled downward and are on a swivel so if they hit something they kick upward. Just push it back down. And make sure the tubes are connected & in good shape near the top of the unit.

To clear a bad obstruction, you can use a paper clip to a pin to pry out any sticks or grass. The hole is down near the end of the unit.

Typically if your speedos stop working while your skiing, you can clear them pretty easily. The next time your swinging the boat back to pick up your skier, goose the throttle in reverse a bit. Takes a pretty good shot to do it. But the sudden change in speed/direction will usually clear it out.

thank you all for your help. this boat is a big upgrade from my 83 searay seville 4 banger!

• 6 months later...