Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finally Had The Seats Done by Chee

Just wanted to share my spring boat upgrade w the site. I have a 2001 Malibu Sunsetter LXI. I bought it new in the Detroit boat show that year. Have 4 kids and we put 700 hrs on it. It still looks and runs like new but my seat seams were all coming loose and finally the front bow cushion ripped all the way out.... I was bummed and had it resewn at a local place; it held a season and ripped out again.

I finally took the plunge. I mailed my seats to Chee. From Michigan to California. It cost me approx 360 bucks total to mail (180 ea way). I went to uhaul, got two nice boxes, and shipped.

I didnt know Chee, only read posts about him here. He called me in response to my email and agreed to do it. He was fast and the seats look amazing. I am simply shocked. It makes the whole boat like brand new again. The fabric is thicker than the orginal but looks exactly the same. The colors are perfect match. He is an artist as far as plumping up the cushions correctly and getting the shape right. If you have put on a skin yourself, like I have, you know thats easier said then done.

Anyhow, I trusted this guy with my cushions, and even sent him cash in the box, and he was trustworthy and did a fabulous job beyond my expectations.

Thanks CHEE.

-Gary

Just wanted to share my spring boat upgrade w the site. I have a 2001 Malibu Sunsetter LXI. I bought it new in the Detroit boat show that year. Have 4 kids and we put 700 hrs on it. It still looks and runs like new but my seat seams were all coming loose and finally the front bow cushion ripped all the way out.... I was bummed and had it resewn at a local place; it held a season and ripped out again.

I finally took the plunge. I mailed my seats to Chee. From Michigan to California. It cost me approx 360 bucks total to mail (180 ea way). I went to uhaul, got two nice boxes, and shipped.

I didnt know Chee, only read posts about him here. He called me in response to my email and agreed to do it. He was fast and the seats look amazing. I am simply shocked. It makes the whole boat like brand new again. The fabric is thicker than the orginal but looks exactly the same. The colors are perfect match. He is an artist as far as plumping up the cushions correctly and getting the shape right. If you have put on a skin yourself, like I have, you know thats easier said then done.

Anyhow, I trusted this guy with my cushions, and even sent him cash in the box, and he was trustworthy and did a fabulous job beyond my expectations.

Thanks CHEE.

-Gary

That's good to know, Gary. I expect that I'll be in a similar situation in about 2 years. My 1997 SLX seats are in fantastic shape, but I can see signs of age starting to appear. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Chee is great. :plus1:

Years ago now, Chee not only agreed to create skins for my 87, he also allowed me the freedom to redesign the entire color sheme, update the foam and work off of photoshop sketches. Of course he makes money doing it, but was professional all the way through and made it fit beautifully. It's amazing what new interior can do.

Let's just hope with the reduction in Malibu's workforce on the West Coast, Chee continues to stay involved in doing what he does!

Chee is great. :plus1:

Years ago now, Chee not only agreed to create skins for my 87, he also allowed me the freedom to redesign the entire color sheme, update the foam and work off of photoshop sketches. Of course he makes money doing it, but was professional all the way through and made it fit beautifully. It's amazing what new interior can do.

Let's just hope with the reduction in Malibu's workforce on the West Coast, Chee continues to stay involved in doing what he does!

How did you guys get a hold of him? Email? He's not answering the phone or at least didn't about a month ago.

Ill get some pics tonight. Do I have to join to post pics?

I don't think so... Do you see this?

EDIT: you should join anyway... :whistle:

If you buy anything for your boat you'll make up the membership fee with discounts easily.

post-7837-061522500 1307551497_thumb.jpg

Edited by Levi900RR
  • 4 weeks later...

Not to be nosey, but I am looking at getting my 2005 VLX interior redone... the rear 4-5 cushions and sundeck are basically trashed as a result of ~1000 hours on boat with a group of party rockers. Anyway, how much does Chee charge approximately?

Thanks

Chad

Not to be nosey, but I am looking at getting my 2005 VLX interior redone... the rear 4-5 cushions and sundeck are basically trashed as a result of ~1000 hours on boat with a group of party rockers. Anyway, how much does Chee charge approximately?

Thanks

Chad

I was quoted $1800. That was skins for the entire boat for my VLX. I also had him quote just one skin which was for the hinged seat. It was $150.

It all depends on how many skins and which skins you are replacing, but hopefully this gives you some idea.

Edited by CincyVLX