Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Sunsetter LXI versus 2003 Wakesetter

mresinc

Have been looking at these two boats and having difficulty choosing. My previous boat was a 2006 Response LXI and I am concerned the Wakesetter will not have a good ski wake. Both boats have similar engines, however, Wakesetter comes with a stainless tower, speakers, racks and ballast system. The Sunsetter lxi is very similar to my previous boat with exception of a tower. What are some pro and cons of each model? Which would have a better resale?

....I am concerned the Wakesetter will not have a good ski wake...

It won't, at least compared to your '06 Response...it's called a WakeSetter, after all.

I guess it depends if you want to ski anymore, and at what level. I bet I could ski just as well behind a Wakesetter (or 36' Hatteras, for that matter) as I do behind my Sunsetter LXi, because I pretty much suck.

But if you are an advanced or intermediate skier, spoiled by the Response slalom wake, the Wakesetter might disappoint you.

Edited by RTS

Have been looking at these two boats and having difficulty choosing. My previous boat was a 2006 Response LXI and I am concerned the Wakesetter will not have a good ski wake. Both boats have similar engines, however, Wakesetter comes with a stainless tower, speakers, racks and ballast system. The Sunsetter lxi is very similar to my previous boat with exception of a tower. What are some pro and cons of each model? Which would have a better resale?

Gotta test drive both to know for sure what you will like the best. The sunsetter will no doubt have the best ski wake. the wakesetter will give you a lot of space and utility. each will be a compromise...

I bought a wakesetter XTi because i wanted vdrive space with slalom wakes that you could still pull thru with seeing your life flash before your eyes. but still have tower with ballast, etc so my kids can jam away on their wakeboards...very pleased with my crossover boat decision.

good luck!!

You need to decide what is your #1 goal. Ski or board / surf. What other things do you want the boat for?

The Sunsetter lxi will ski 99% as good as your Rlxi.

...I am concerned the Wakesetter will not have a good ski wake.

As RTS said ... It won't!!

What are some pro and cons of each model?

What year Sunsetter LXi? 99-04 was the best crossover ever made by any manufacturer. 05 and newer, not so much.

Which would have a better resale?

Probably the VLX as V-Drives are more popular, though you should be able to get a comparable year / equipped SS LXi for less than a VLX.

Bottom line...if you want to ski then you don't want a VLX. If you're leaning that way, ski behind one before you buy one. Where are you located? Maybe a crew member can help you out with a pull...

WHY would anybody SELL a 2006 Response LXI ?

By far the best boat in the Malibu Line up.

Well maybe a DD Sunsetter if you have a big family.

Every time I read that somebody sold their 2006 or 2007 R L X I it makes me cringe.

As my adult son says " Dad , you never leave flat water to find flatter water "

That Boy ( 43 y.o.) is wise beyond his years.

Every time I read that somebody sold their 2006 or 2007 R L X I it makes me cringe.

As my adult son says " Dad , you never leave flat water to find flatter water " :yahoo:

No back to the OP. I have a DD wakesetter (04) the wake starts to flatten out around 28mph but it still looks a bit bigger than a ski boat would. If you are a skier on a course you will not want the wake hull, you can ballast out a sunsetter to get the wake bigger for board sports but once the ballast is out you still have the wake hull.

As my adult son says " Dad , you never leave flat water to find flatter water "

The 2006 may be better than the 07. I like my 07 but its more weight sensitive I believe.