Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

EFI Relay?

I was out skiing this afternoon and as I circled back to pick up the skier the boat just died....not stalled out....died....like someone shut the key off. Won't start either....turns over just fine, but won't even sputter like it's trying to start.

Checked for fuel and that seemed to be getting there, checked for spark at a plug and did not see any. Checked for spark out of the coil and did not see any. Checked voltage coming into the coil on the purple wire and with the key on it is getting 2.74 volts (expected 12 volts)....that had me check the EFI relay which the checks for it seemed to be focused on the harness itself (nothing to test the relay to see if it is working properly). The harness checked out (12 volts in all the right places and dead in the right places). My questions:

1. Is there a test for the EFI relay?

2. Should I get 12 volts at the coil with the key in the "on" (not trying to start it) position?

3. Has anyone experienced this type of outage and have any other ideas I should check?

This is on a 1998 Malibu Sunsetter VLX.

Thanks,

Dan

1. Yes but you need a shop manual to remember the test procedure - I always just play musical relays and switch them around and see if the problem persists, all three are identical.

2. Not sure

3. Check your kill switch

I just put in a new relay and same result...2.7 volts to the coil....no spark from coil.

I did check the kill switch...it shows continuity across the two leads when the lanyard is attached and no continuity when you pull the lanyard off.

I followed the test procedure for the coil and it seemed to behave as expected, but according to the troubleshooting section of the shop manual I'm running out of things to test. The only part I can't be sure about is the shop guide has you using a 12 volt test light and I'll I have is my multi-meter, and while expected to see 12 volts as I tested pieces it just showed the 2.7 volts at each stage....would that light up a 12 volt test light?

Took it to the shop today and they noticed the fuel pump not kicking on when the key was first turned on...that coupled with no spark has them suggesting the ECM/ECU is bad. They are planning to plug in a test one to see if that resolves the problem. They have also given me a ballpark price of $900 - $1100 for a new one. Does that seem right?

I've read in the clymer guide that there is another relay between the EFI relay and the fuel pump, so I guess that could lead to the fuel pump not operating, but I suppose I should have spark which I don't seem to have.

Any other thoughts? Seems like an expensive way to test this (sticking in an ECM/ECU).

I had a similar issue with my Response LXI (2004, 240 Monsoon, MEFI-4), it just stopped one day. Engine turned over fine but no spark was evident at either the plug lead end or Ignition coil.

After following the manual and opting for the cheapest option, I replaced the ignition module and the issue was resolved.

I had a similar issue with my Response LXI (2004, 240 Monsoon, MEFI-4), it just stopped one day. Engine turned over fine but no spark was evident at either the plug lead end or Ignition coil.

After following the manual and opting for the cheapest option, I replaced the ignition module and the issue was resolved.

Was your fuel pump kicking on when you turned the key on? That is the new symptom in addition to the lack of spark.

No, the fuel pump was not operational when I had this issue. I had simply assumed (noting that I do not have an extensive knowledge of this type of engine management system) it was a failsafe feature of the Engine Control Unit, i.e. if the engine was thought not to be in operation because of the lack of a square wave signal from the distributor ignition module to the ECU, the fuel pump would not be energized.

I may have just fluked it however I hope this synopsis can provide you with some perspective.

This definately sounds like it could be the ignition control module (located under distributor cap area) If I remember it just has 2 wires going to it. It is an easy change-out,,2 scews. If its in the shop...they can just swap one out from another boat to see if thats the issue

Which efi system is that. Im having a similar problem, I had a fuel pump go out, now im not getting power from the ignition to the MEFI relay. Indmar told me there is a fix to bypass the ECM if it is bad

Got mine fixed...they stuck in a test ECU and it still would not start...after additional testing with the volt meter I found a busted pin in the main wire harness. Ater some soldering back in business....must have just been making enough contact to pass some voltage to the coil but not the full voltage and I'm guessing not enough power to ECU to tell the fuel pump to come on.

Ran great the last couple of days!

I am going to check voltage at the coil now that it is working to confirm 12 volts when the key is on rather than the 2.7 volts I was getting.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

hey Behindtheboat where is the busted pin you found in the wiring harness? im having the exact same issue as you everything is pointing to a bad ECU havent tried a test ECU yet but were going to ours tested this afternoon. Just wondering if it was a pin at the connectors right at the ECU? or where it was thanks alot!

• 1 year later...

Got mine fixed...they stuck in a test ECU and it still would not start...after additional testing with the volt meter I found a busted pin in the main wire harness. Ater some soldering back in business....must have just been making enough contact to pass some voltage to the coil but not the full voltage and I'm guessing not enough power to ECU to tell the fuel pump to come on.

Ran great the last couple of days!

I am going to check voltage at the coil now that it is working to confirm 12 volts when the key is on rather than the 2.7 volts I was getting.

I have a 1996 sunsetter VLX and it is not getting spark. Can you show a picture of the harness that had the broken pin?